Topics

Photozoom Pro is 50% off until July 31.

Edited

No: I'm not shilling; no I don't get anything from mentioning this. BenVista's PhotoZoom Pro is, IMHO, the best of the extrapolators. Today I got an email announcing a 50% discount for a couple of weeks.

Here's the link:  https://www.benvista.com/discount/july2016newsletter

I've used it for years, and have posted (some time ago) my look at all the top extrapolators (BlowUp, etc) on my blog, here:

http://www.valleau.gallery/photoblog/?p=281

Jeff Grant

Is 169 the discounted price. I can't see any mention of a discount.

NO... that's weird. I got a 50% off email. Then, before I posted it, I checked the link, and the listed price was about $94.

Perhaps it's worth emailing them and asking about it**. The price was good until July 31, 2016.

**In fact... I just sent them an email, asking what's going on. I'll post back here as soon as I get a reply.

Sorry for the problem, but I cannot control what they do, of course.

Got a reply, and they sent this link:

https://www.benvista.com/discount/july2016newsletter

Jeff Grant

Thanks Tracy, that works. I’ll give it a try.
Cheers,

Jeff

On 19 Jul 2016, at 2:33 AM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

Got a reply, and they sent this link:

https://www.benvista.com/discount/july2016newsletter

Jeff Grant

So far, I have a mixed bag. When I open Photozoom my image becomes seriously desaturated. The colour is only affected when viewing. It's fine when I let it run. The good news is that the support folks have been very responsive, and helpful.

I wonder if I am alone with this issue.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

I can't say that I've noticed that, but then I have not been looking for it either. Since it is cosmetic, I'd not worry about it (but I'll look anyway.)

Everyone will have a different use for PZP. FWIW, mine is strictly to enlarge an image. To that end, I do virtually nothing else in the software. Everything is set to Zero except sharpening, which I set to 41, which to my eye, is pretty close to the minimalist sharpening done by other's "raw presharpening." (I use S-spine Max for the algorithm.) I do all my "real" sharpening runs in other software.

My workflow, then, is to prepare the image for PZP in Photoshop/Affinity Photo/DxO or whatever; export as TIFF; run the extrapolation; and reload into Photoshop for final sharpening & tweaking.

YMMV.

Edited

OK: heading to bed, but I was curious. I see a very slight desaturation, but not enough to concern me.

Here's a screenshot of PZP and PSCC side-by-side:

(larger version for download here: http://transfer.pronet.link/transfers/compare.jpg.zip)

hth

Jeff Grant

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for taking the time to do that, it is most appreciated. My expectation is that I will use PZP for enlargement only too. I do all sharpening with Photokit. I’m happy to get your settings. That will get me well on the way to being a happy user.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff Grant

Mine is a little more that slight. I just don’t understand why CM isn’t sorting this out.

On 23 Jul 2016, at 4:09 PM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

OK: heading to bed, but I was curious. I see a very slight desaturation, but not enough to concern me.

Here's a screenshot of PZP and PSCC side-by-side:

<compare.jpg>

hth