Topics

paper suggestions needed

Saelon Renkes

Do any of you have any suggestions for affordable matte paper that is coated on both sides and comes in 17" width? I just had a disaster of a print job at MagCloud and am feeling like I'd rather print my usual holiday calendar out myself instead of throwing more money at them (they've done a very good job in previous years, but this time it is appalling). I'm still printing with an Epson 4800 and have matte inks installed. The best paper I can think of for the job (balancing quality with price) is Moab Entrada Fine Art, but that is still going to cost me quite a bit of money. As designed, the calendars are 8" x 8" but open up to 8" x 16" for hanging on the wall, so each calendar requires 7 pieces of 8" x 16" paper coated on both sides. I've calculated that if I have no printing or cutting mistakes at all (optimistic), I can get 14 calendars out of a 17" x 66' roll of paper, which comes to about $10.15 worth of paper per calendar, and then there's ink too. I had hoped to have 60-70 calendars but at that price I might have to settle for 25-30, especially since I already threw a lot of money away on MagCloud. It would be nice if I could figure out a way to do it for less. The Moab EFA paper in 190 lb weight has a near perfect heft to it for this job, but thinner is perfectly okay as long as it is opaque enough that images don't show through. Any suggestions? I tend to print with just a few favorite papers and they are usually more expensive than Moab, so I don't have much experience to draw on here. Thanks!

Contact shadesofpaper.com via phone and ask for recommendation. They are very helpful.

On Dec 15, 2016, at 12:08 AM, saelon2@... wrote:

[...]

Michael Fryd

Red River Paper has some double sided matte papers.   While I haven’t tried these specific papers, I have been happy with other papers I have bought from Red River.   Red River can also provide pre-cut custom sheet sizes.  This can cut down on wastage if you are not confident that you are good at cutting.

I suspect you will have trouble finding rolls of double sided inkjet paper.  I don’t know of any inkjet printers that  can print double sided from roll paper.

Keep in mind that if you cut sheets from a roll of paper, those sheets may have a curl to them.  Make sure your printer doesn’t have a problem with curled sheets of paper.

[...]

Thank you Mark and Michael.

I'm very grateful for the reminder about the difficulty of reloading curled paper. I haven't used roll paper in ages and while I remembered the curl, I'd completely forgotten how difficult it would be to reload the curled paper to print the other side. You just saved me from a big mistake! I'll now limit my search to cut sheets, 17x25.

I hadn't even heard of shadesofpaper.com but I see they do carry one brand that I've considered (InkPress Duo Matte 80 2-sided, available in 17x25 and cheaper than most) but haven't ever tried, so I will ask about it.

Saelon