Topics

Nik software is available again

Now it's called the DxO Nik Collection, and you can buy it for Photoshop, Lightroom et al here:

https://shop.dxo.com/us/photo-software/dxo-nikcollection

(If you act quickly, it's $50)

www.valleau.art

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for sharing. I read the announcement and it feels that they haven’t improved the software much, except the brushes.
I thought they had plans to include their own technology (what makes DXO software so good).

Would be interested to know what people think of the new software, when downloaded and tried.

Oliver Klink

• Light and Shadow Magazine Publication (May 2018) - “Black and White Photography”

• Spider BW Awards 2017 - 2nd Place
(Silhouette Category)

(Book by LensWork)

On Jun 6, 2018, at 10:44 AM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

Now it's called the DxO Nik Collection, and you can buy it for Photoshop, Lightroom et al here:

https://shop.dxo.com/us/photo-software/dxo-nikcollection

(If you act quickly, it's $50)

www.valleau.art

Seems to work just the same….

On Jun 6, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Oliver Klink <oliver@...> wrote:

Would be interested to know what people think of the new software, when downloaded and tried.

Yes: the point is that the original software no longer worked with Photoshop CC.

As to Oliver's question: it's called DxO Photolab... and I personally think it's great. If it offered DAM, I'd drop LightRoom in a minute.

https://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-photolab

Tracy

--
Mark

stillrivereditions.com

Tracy
www.valleau.art

www.valleau.art

I was stilling it in PS CC 2018.

On Jun 6, 2018, at 1:57 PM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

Yes: the point is that the original software no longer worked with Photoshop CC.

Odd. It refused to load for me, and Adobe specifically noted it would no longer work

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2396932

Apparently others have had better luck than me.

Count your blessings! :-)

On 6 Jun 2018, at 11:22, Mark wrote:

I was stilling it in PS CC 2018.

On Jun 6, 2018, at 1:57 PM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

Yes: the point is that the original software no longer worked with Photoshop CC.

--
Mark

stillrivereditions.com

Tracy
www.valleau.art

www.valleau.art

I just fond this site, which explains how to fix the crashing with the prior version of the plugin:

http://www.richterpolilli.com/easy-steps-fix-nik-plug-crashes-inside-photoshop-cc-2018/

So, Mark: right you are!

Tracy

(Who happily spent the $50 for the new plugin any way... ;-)

On 6 Jun 2018, at 11:30, Tracy Valleau wrote:

Odd. It refused to load for me, and Adobe specifically noted it would no longer work

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2396932

Apparently others have had better luck than me.

Count your blessings! :-)

On 6 Jun 2018, at 11:22, Mark wrote:

I was stilling it in PS CC 2018.

On Jun 6, 2018, at 1:57 PM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

Yes: the point is that the original software no longer worked with Photoshop CC.

--
Mark

stillrivereditions.com

Tracy
www.valleau.art

www.valleau.art

Tracy
www.valleau.art

www.valleau.art

David J. Gubernick

Hmm - the previous Nik plugins have been working for me all along and still are in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC on Windows 7.

cheers,
David
David J. Gubernick
www.rainbowspirit.com
On 6/6/2018 10:57 AM, Tracy Valleau wrote:

Yes: the point is that the original software no longer worked with Photoshop CC.

As to Oliver's question: it's called DxO Photolab... and I personally think it's great. If it offered DAM, I'd drop LightRoom in a minute.

https://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-photolab

Tracy

On 6 Jun 2018, at 10:51, Mark Savoia wrote:

Seems to work just the same….

On Jun 6, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Oliver Klink <oliver@...> wrote:

Would be interested to know what people think of the new software, when downloaded and tried.

--
Mark

stillrivereditions.com

www.valleau.art

Yes, that's likely. Things don't retroactively break, and if you're using (the now unsupported Windows 7) and it's working, there's no reason expect it to fail.

As the rest of this thread indicates, some people (like me) could not get it to work, and other could.

I should note that I said "... the original software no longer worked..." and it's possible that more recent renditions did.

All that said, Nik sold to Google; Google dropped development and support and the product was, many feared, EOL'd.

It was picked up by DxO and after a year is now available for sale again.

Most of us (including me) moved on to different products and techniques. That said, I did miss Silver Effects Pro, and the convenience of control points.

YMMV.

Tracy