Topics

Mac OS users: 10.15 "Catalina" will kill some of your favorite apps. Here are some tips.

You have probably heard that Mac OS Catalina, 10.15, will end support for 32-bit apps. Sounds geeky, and it is in some ways, but here's the bottom line: some of your applications will quit working. Period. End of story. Most Epson software is 32-bit, for example.

Here's what Apple says:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

So... what to do?

1) find out which apps you have that will quit working in the next 60 days if you upgrade to Catalina, when it comes out.
Here's the easiest way: this free app:
https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/index.html
(there are  more less convenient ways to find your 32-bit apps, using Apple software)
https://www.macrumors.com/guide/32-bit-mac-apps/

then you can
2) simply not upgrade to Catalina (or put them all on another computer that will never be upgraded.)
3) wait for the app developers to republish their software compiled for 64-bit
4) toss them out and find a suitable replacement
5) run El Capitan (10.11) in a virtual machine. (That's my choice.)

Virtual machines

If you have Parallels (which is my choice) or VMWare (probably to run Windows) you can find a copy of 10.11* and install it, to run it virtually. Then all you need to do is move your 32-bit apps to it, and away you go: you can upgrade to Catalina, but keep El Capitan around inside your VM.

https://www.macstrategy.com/article.php?148

*You can actually choose any OS prior to Catalina to virtualize. I went with El Capitan since there is a concensus that it's the most suitable. Obviously, if you have some 32-bit app that requires, say, Sierra, then that OS would be your choice.

Which are, the printer drivers?

On Aug 20, 2019, at 3:45 PM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

Most Epson software is 32-bit

Looks like the only app on my Mac that will not work of Epson’s is EpsonNet Config

[...]

_._,_._,_

Epson 64-bit?

I don't know, Mark. I suspect that the newer printers are OK, while Epson's download for my 9890 driver is dated 2014, and the 3880 is 2007, and I doubt that they are 64-bit.

However, and that said, I ran my ~/library/printers folder thru Go64, and everything in it was 64 bit.

Here the Epson apps that Go64 found for me that are not 64-bit:

epson:
firmware updater
LFP Remote Panel 2
Low ink reminder
print layout
printer finder
printer monitor
printer utility 3
scan
scan settings
Net config
suppliestool3

www.valleau.art

OH! One more Epson thing: if you are using third-party inks with your Epson printer, remember to NOT update your firmware! Apparently that will kill you ability to use anything but Epson inks.

www.valleau.art