Topics

CPA -- thread drift alert

Jim Kasson

Thanks for the information on your methodology. I appreciate that.

WRT the CPA,  I was repeating what the staff had told me. They said that they'd get the site running again, and it would run for a while, then shut down, and they thought it had to be malware. Glad to know it wasn't a hack. However, if it was just data growth to the limits of the account settings imposed by the hosting company, why did it take months to restore it? Yesterday, I opened a chat window with my hosting company (Media Temple, which used to be the CPA's hosting company) , ordered a change in my limits, and, in less than a minute, saw my RAM go from 4GB to 8GB, and my disk (actually, SSD; my account doesn't use spinning rust)  space go from 50 GB to 100GB I couldn't see my monthly comm allotment go from 2 TB to 5 TB, but I'm pretty sure it happened.

If for some reason that couldn't be done, why not restore from a backup to a bigger server?

And, if it was just a space thing, why rewrite the code from scratch? Or did I get that wrong, too?

Jim
--
Jim Kasson

ImageMaker

Blog: blog.kasson.com

Gallery: www.kasson.com

Jim Kasson

Tracy, a funny thing just happened. I replied to your last post in the thread about photographers and web sites. I changed the title to reflect the fact that I was bringing up a new topic. When I was done, I didn't see my reply. I navigated to the top of the messages, and saw that my reply had been made the first post in a brand new thread. I guess the software looks at the titles to decide what thread things go in.

I've never seen that before. I won't be changing titles so cavalierly any more.

Jim
--
Jim Kasson

ImageMaker

Blog: blog.kasson.com

Gallery: www.kasson.com

Thanks for that data point, Jim. I didn't know groups.io did that either. We can all be on guard...

Tracy

I'll reply to you offline, as most members won't care about the new direction of the thread.

Tracy