Topics

Asking Tracy: Post Processing Sharpening Steps

Hey Tracy, what were those sharpening steps you were telling me about at the last IM meeting where you combine Focus Magic with Photoshop’s unsharp mask and back and forth between the 2? I have a long exposure that’s a little soft because I was trying to focus in the dark and the camera moved a hair. I tried: no sharpening in Lightroom, then Focus Magic Motion 2 pixels, then Focus Magic Focus 1 pixel; any addition of Photoshop Unsharp mask added noticeable halos and I had to blur the soft water around the rocks because the focus correction sharpened and added noise. Thanks!

Hi Steve

A bit of mis-remembering going on there. I don't use  unsharp mask at all. What I do is use FocusMagic, and sometimes (but not always) twice, depending how how large the extrapolation is. If the image is being blown up a lot, then I'll FM it, run the extrapolation software, and FM it again. Generally however, it's just extrapolation and them FM. If it's camera motion you're dealing with, then  us the motion part of FM, not the focus part.

hth.

Yeah, I was way over-thinking it. In any case, I don’t think the image can be rescued, not even at 8x10. I wasn’t even trying to blow it up, just sharpen it up at its original size. Maybe I could donate it as a miniature. Thanks for the tip!

If you want to send it to me, I'm happy to take a look...

Tracy
www.valleau.gallery

On 26 May 2016, at 12:41, Steve Zmak wrote:

Yeah, I was way over-thinking it. In any case, I don’t think the image can be rescued, not even at 8x10. I wasn’t even trying to blow it up, just sharpen it up at its original size. Maybe I could donate it as a miniature. Thanks for the tip!

Wait...there's something called Focus Magic???
--
Matt Connors

ImageMaker

www.inadvertentartist.com