Topics

Silver grain resolution of films #filmresolution

Does anyone know where to find a listing of what is maximum PPI to scan films based on their silver grain. I know Tri-X is around 2000ppi, but looking for data on other films.

Thanks.
--
Mark

stillrivereditions.com

First: I don't scan film, so I have no practical experience in doing it, but since I built my first darkroom nearly 60 years ago, and am now digital full time, I'd have to ask: scanning to what end? That is, do you want to show the grain, or hide the grain? The more you want the grain to show, the higher the scan resolution... all of which is tempered by grain size.

Perhaps this link will help: http://www.boeringa.demon.nl/menu_technic_optimalscanningresolution.htm

hth

Tracy
www.valleau.gallery

On 28 Jun 2016, at 12:36, Mark Savoia wrote:

Does anyone know where to find a listing of what is maximum PPI to scan films based on their silver grain. I know Tri-X is around 2000ppi, but looking for data on other films.

Thanks.
--
Mark

stillrivereditions.com

Actually looking for the point in-between the "show the grain”,"hide the grain". The author on that page would describe it as "non-obtrusive gain”.

That webpage has some good info but I am looking for a listing of many films (color and b&w, trans and neg) that someone has documented. It must be out there someplace.

Mark
stillrivereditions.com

On Jun 28, 2016, at 4:00 PM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

[...]

I'd guess that it's going to be difficult to find, since the "best/maximum" is still a subjective decision about how much grain you want showing. That said, if you do find it, will you please post the URL here for others? :-)

Thanks!

Tracy
www.valleau.gallery

On 28 Jun 2016, at 13:30, Mark Savoia wrote:

[...]

Jim Kasson

The answer is highly scanner-dependent and image-dependent, and also on the effect you're trying to schieve. I have used drum scanners, Imacon/Hasselblad Flextight scanners, and flatbed scanners.

Drum scanners are the most problematical with silver negs, although they do better with color, both chromes and negs. The collimated read beam does similar things to the image as a condenser head in an enlarger. Too big an aperture, and you miss detail. Too small an aperture, and you get an effect known as "grain aliasing".

With the Imacon scanners, I used to scan at the maximum resolution that I wanted for the output file, and sort out the grain in post. The Imacon wasn't sharp enough to suffer from grain aliasing.

With flatbed scanners, you should realize that many of them "achieve" the highest resolutions by interpolation. You can do that better in post. If you have such a scanner, I'd start at the highest native resolution, and see if the grain looks mushy. If it does, then you're probably not gonna get aliasing, and you can scan at that resolution, providing you want files that big.

Eliminating all the visible grain at scan time is, IMHO, a really bad idea. There are things you can do in post that will damage the images much less than just lowering the scan resolution.

Jim
--
Jim Kasson

ImageMaker