Re: Back up storage

I use Crashplan for cloud storage. As Mark said, the initial backup takes a long time...a really long time. But once that is done, additional backups are incremental. Having an offsite backup is very important in case of fire or theft.

Matt

On Jun 21, 2016, at 5:03 AM, Mark Savoia <mark@...> wrote:

On Mac try CarbonCopyCloner
On Windows try Acronis

Cloud storage can be very inexpensive and you have the huge advantage to have your files off-site in case of local disaster or theft.
Look at CrashPlan, plans start at $9 a month for unlimited storage. The initial upload will take a very long time but then it can backup in the background from then on. Retrieval can be done within the app of from their website.

Also, what is the current speeds and connections of your hard drives, that will make a difference.

On Jun 20, 2016, at 11:28 PM, David Clarkson <david@...> wrote:

I am facing limits on both my active file and back up storage capabilities. I may very well exceed the limits on one or both within the next two months.

My last full base back up required almost 20 hours to complete 2T of data. This seems a bit unreasonable to me. While adding storage seems simple, the back up times present more problems. (Cloud storage appears to be too slow and expensive.) I have an open hard drive shelf in my Dell 8700. I can also swap my existing 4T for an 8T external drive. Installing either or both seems easy.

Can anyone provide advice for faster, yet dependable and secure, back up software?

Your thoughts or experience would be helpful.

Cheers,

David Clarkson

--
Mark