Back up storage

I am facing limits on both my active file and back up storage capabilities. I may very well exceed the limits on one or both within the next two months.

My last full base back up required almost 20 hours to complete 2T of data. This seems a bit unreasonable to me. While adding storage seems simple, the back up times present more problems. (Cloud storage appears to be too slow and expensive.) I have an open hard drive shelf in my Dell 8700. I can also swap my existing 4T for an 8T external drive. Installing either or both seems easy.

Can anyone provide advice for faster, yet dependable and secure, back up software?

Your thoughts or experience would be helpful.

Cheers,

David Clarkson