Re: Reducing texture in scan of old photograph #reduce_texture

Hi Mark, and welcome! We're delighted to have you and your skills aboard :-)

As to the question:

First - I do not have direct experience with the problem, but that won't stop me from a bit of conjecture...

I suspect that the texture is too large to make de-noising software fruitful...

Then I thought about wetting the image, but realized promptly that's not likely practical with old prints.

My final thought was to dump the scanner and try photographing the image with a high-res camera, such as a D800, with a ring light on the lens.

I'm afraid that's it. Should I have an "aha!" moment, I'll post it.

Perhaps others here have run across the problem, unlike me, and will have a solution for you.

Tracy
www.valleau.gallery

On 3 Jun 2016, at 11:58, Mark Savoia wrote:

I have a few prints we scanned that have a severe texture (from the 1970's) that shows up dramatically. Have tried scanning at 90 degrees and 45 degrees and it still shows. I have tried a few things in PhotoShop but most just end up blurring the image. Have tried using a de-screening filter during the scan, same results.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate or drastically reduce it?

Mark

stillrivereditions.com