Re: If you've been harassed taking photos...

David J. Gubernick

Unfortunately, that bill is dead.  Notice it was sent to the 113th Congress (2013-2014), the revised bill sent to 114th Congress (2015-2016) does not have the "Ansel Adams" part and  has a new name.  here's the link: H.R.5893 - No Regulation Without Representation Act of 2016

found a brief discussion of it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/6jucbx/any_update_on_the_ansel_adams_act_that_protects/

David
David J. Gubernick

www.rainbowspirit.com

On 11/21/2018 6:28 PM, Tracy Valleau wrote:

Hi David

First, INAL.

But then section 5 of the bill states as its basis the First Amendment of the Constitution, which, IMHO & INAL, pretty much covers it all, states included.

Things have lightened up a bit since 2015, and I have read of several successful suits filed against police (private and public) who confiscated memory cards and/or forced the deletion of images. That turns out to be "confiscation and destruction of evidence."

Always obey a guy with a gun, but you might politely show this PDF and point out that his/her actions are likely illegal.

YMMV

On 21 Nov 2018, at 18:16, David Clarkson wrote:

Thank you, Tracy. The bill appears to cover federal facilities and lands. Does the law cover the states as well?

Cheers,
David

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 3:42 PM Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:
If you've been harassed taking photos, this might be of interest:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/5893/text

Yes, the bill is still in committee, but it's statement of current, existing law is quite clear.

I downloaded the PDF (it looks very official) and keep a copy on my cell phone, just in case.

YMMV

www.valleau.art

www.valleau.art