Re: If you've been harassed taking photos...

Hi David

First, INAL.

But then section 5 of the bill states as its basis the First Amendment of the Constitution, which, IMHO & INAL, pretty much covers it all, states included.

Things have lightened up a bit since 2015, and I have read of several successful suits filed against police (private and public) who confiscated memory cards and/or forced the deletion of images. That turns out to be "confiscation and destruction of evidence."

Always obey a guy with a gun, but you might politely show this PDF and point out that his/her actions are likely illegal.

YMMV

On 21 Nov 2018, at 18:16, David Clarkson wrote:

Thank you, Tracy. The bill appears to cover federal facilities and lands. Does the law cover the states as well?

Cheers,
David

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 3:42 PM Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:
If you've been harassed taking photos, this might be of interest:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/5893/text

Yes, the bill is still in committee, but it's statement of current, existing law is quite clear.

I downloaded the PDF (it looks very official) and keep a copy on my cell phone, just in case.

YMMV

www.valleau.art

Tracy
www.valleau.art