Re: Black And White printing with PrintTool and 3 inks

Hi Michael

I assume you're on the CAFE (Call For Entries Site), which is constructed and run by a third party. I cannot get to the page you are seeing without actually entering, so I can only guess at this point, unless you want to send me a screen shot of what you are seeing.

Normally, inkjet prints are called "pigment prints" or sometime "giclee."

If you see one of those, choose it. Otherwise, you'll have to send me a list of the options.

Tracy
www.valleau.art

On 7 Aug 2017, at 14:54, Michael Stansbury via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Tracy,

I'm trying to enter the CPA's IJE. I am submitting one silver print and two inkjet digital prints. Under the 'Process' heading I can find silver print, but there is no 'inkjet' selection. What are we calling inkjet prints on this site?

Michael

On Jun 10, 2017, at 3:54 PM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

Well, I learned something new, after banging my head against the wall for a couple of hours today. Perhaps (even likely) I'm late to this party, but here it is:

When I print B&W, 99.99% of the time it's on matte paper using Piezography (on a dedicated 3880). Today, for the first time in literally years, I had a need to print a B&W larger than the 3880 allows, for a friend's show. He wanted it on Ilford GFS, which I have in rolls for my 9890, so, while regretting have to leave the excellence of Piezography in favor of K7 inks, I thought it would be a breeze.

No so much. His image arrived with ProPhoto RGB embedded, so I converted to ARGB, and hit print. Looked find, but strongly magenta tints. Fine: I'll just convert it to gray-scale and print. Same magenta tint.  OK... Convert to gray gamma 2.2 and off to Print Tool with no color management. YEAH! - no tint... but the thing looked like it had been posterized: the contrast was horrible.

I mucked about trying a couple of other things, including printing thru Photoshop and the Epson driver, something I'd not done in years. Better, but not right. The image looks fine.... it was a printing thing.

Then finally I did this: convert from ProPhoto, to ARGB. Then to Gray-scale (to toss out  all the color information... and -then- convert that -back- to ARGB. Now I have an image with an embedded ARGB profile, but no color information left in it. Off to PrintTool again; choose color management  and the profile for the IGFS paper... and

...bingo!

Maybe this is all voodoo; maybe it's all ignorance. Maybe everyone here knew about this technique already, or knows a better, faster way to the same end.  But at least now I know how to continue to use my beloved PrintTool and Epson inks for a decent B&W out of my 9890 printer.

Whee!