Re: New Affinity Photo coming... and...

Jeff Grant

Hi Tracy,

Happy to provide input, I wish there was more but it works well for me. Also at 70, I hear you loud and clear. Sorry for the confusion, what I was saying is that I get LR as part of my monthly payment to Adobe, so, if I stopped paying that how would I still get LR without PS. At 70, I am starting to resist change to what I have been doing for years so Affinity looks like it would require me to use LR to replace some of my old PS favourites such as Mirage and PK sharpener. I dread to think that PK may stop one day.

As for ACR, I have never liked Adobe’s idea of colour from the very first release. It just never looked right.

I hope this clarifies my previous confusion.

Cheers,

Jeff

On 23 Nov 2016, at 12:42 PM, Tracy Valleau <tracy@...> wrote:

HIi Jeff.

I'll admit your reply leaves me a bit confused, but I'll respond as best I can. You "avoided LR like the plague" and "LR didn't impress" but you want to buy a copy anyway? "Is it possible to have LR without PS?" OK... :-}

Yes: you can buy LR all by itself, and own it outright. Although, since you cannot buy PS anymore, but only pay the monthly fee for it, and since it comes with LR, I am, as I said, a bit confused.

People have lots of various preferences in a raw converter. I happen to like DxO and/or AccuRaw. I was unimpressed with CameraOne Raw, unlike most of the rest of the known universe. But then I'm not as offended by LR's converter as you may be. (I did calibrate it for my camera, so that might make a difference.) My main use for LR is it's database and indexing. Phocus might be nice if I still had my Hassie, but I'm perfectly happy with my D800.

There is a wealth of digital photo processing out there, including On1's immanent release and the recent Exposure X.  It's great to have all the possible tools - almost too much to choose from without a year of study.  And then, is the range of difference, once you run an image thru post, really worth the effort?  (Of course, maybe at 70 I'm just getting lazy...  ;-)

Thanks for all your input, Jeff. You make this an ever better group!

Happy Thanksgiving.

_Tracy Valleau, moderator