Topics

It's not easy being green

Talbot Bielefeldt

Fern Ridge Lake has the most spectacular algae bloom I’ve ever seen. Pretty much wall to wall. Like a scene from a horror movie. I sometimes regret moving from a Day Sailer to a keelboat, but not today. I want to be as far from the water as possible.

Allen

Does anyone have photos of the algae bloom?

On 5/15/2020 10:55:59 PM, Talbot Bielefeldt <talbotb@...> wrote:

Fern Ridge Lake has the most spectacular algae bloom I’ve ever seen. Pretty much wall to wall. Like a scene from a horror movie. I sometimes regret moving from a Day Sailer to a keelboat, but not today. I want to be as far from the water as possible.

Quadzilla

Kevin Hansen
World Wheelchair Sports
3552 George Ct.
Eugene, OR 97401
541-521-2876 Mobile
541-485-1860 Office
worldwheelchairsports.com

Bill Crutchfield

Wow that’s not too good—can you post a picture?

On May 15, 2020, at 10:56 PM, Talbot Bielefeldt <talbotb@...> wrote:

Fern Ridge Lake has the most spectacular algae bloom I’ve ever seen. Pretty much wall to wall. Like a scene from a horror movie. I sometimes regret moving from a Day Sailer to a keelboat, but not today. I want to be as far from the water as possible.

Bill Crutchfield

Saw pics-/ugh, not good!

On May 16, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Bill Crutchfield <layline2@...> wrote:

Wow that’s not too good—can you post a picture?

On May 15, 2020, at 10:56 PM, Talbot Bielefeldt <talbotb@...> wrote:

Fern Ridge Lake has the most spectacular algae bloom I’ve ever seen. Pretty much wall to wall. Like a scene from a horror movie. I sometimes regret moving from a Day Sailer to a keelboat, but not today. I want to be as far from the water as possible.

Bill Crutchfield

Wow not good!

On May 16, 2020, at 12:19 PM, Quadzilla <wwscoach@...> wrote:

<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>
<image3.jpeg>
<image4.jpeg>

Kevin Hansen
World Wheelchair Sports
3552 George Ct.
Eugene, OR 97401
541-521-2876 Mobile
541-485-1860 Office
worldwheelchairsports.com

At Richardson Park the infestation is just around the shoreline and doesn't extend out to the end of E Dock. Yet. I haven't ventured out into the lake yet to see if there are rafts of the stuff in open water.

I took a few photos. I don't know much about algae, but I think the green globs may be ordinary algae. Unpleasant, but harmless. The weird colored bits are more interesting. When I've seen blue-green algae before -- or what I thought was b-g algae -- it was _bright_ green. This stuff makes me see why they named it what they did. <g> See attachments.

Not all blue-green algae are toxic -- they sell some of it in health food stores -- but since They no longer test Fern Ridge I suppose we'll never know what this stuff is. <sigh> Don't let your dog get in the water, or go swimming yourself. Our kind of boating should be OK.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ycm5wx8h

or

https://groups.io/g/Fernsail/topic/it_s_not_easy_being_green/74243836?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,74243836

--
John <@Jkohnen>
Truth-tellers are not always palatable. There is a preference for candy bars. (Gwendolyn Brooks)

https://www.avg.com

Talbot Bielefeldt

We sailed down to anchor at Zumwalt Park on Friday. We were in algae all the way to Signal Island. Zumwalt anchorage itself was clear. Probably depends on the wind.

[...]

Yesterday, on an overcast day looking down into still water from the docks, I didn't notice what you're talking about Talbot. Today I stopped at the ramp right next to the dam, and where the light shone through the waves I could see that the water has a green hue, not the usual mud color. Could see it in the shallows at the beach at Orchard Point too. Millions of tiny dots of green in the water. It's not just globs and weird blue things.

On 5/17/2020 4:07 PM, Talbot B wrote:
We sailed down to anchor at Zumwalt Park on Friday. We were in algae all the way to Signal Island. Zumwalt anchorage itself was clear. Probably depends on the wind.
--
John <@Jkohnen>
I just think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby. (Rupert Giles on American football)
https://www.avg.com