Shift from Serial Port to USB SC Interface - a little help please!

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

For many years I've happily used the Serial port with a SignaLink. I recently bought an SDRplay and was compelled to shift to the USB SC Interface. I’m have one significant issue using the USB interface with WSJT-X – no RF output on TX. In all other respects – everything works. I connect via Win4Yaesu and can fully control the radio including MOX. If I am in SSB  - no issues – good RF output.

Next, I can control the radio in all respects from DXCommander and all of the sister programs such as SpotCollecter – If I click a spot – radio follows – so far, so good!

WSJT-X receives fine and keys the TX fine – just no output. [BUSY] switches to [TX] as expected. Here are my radio settings and my WSJT-x Settings:

Radio:

ANT 1 – this is correct

37           USB

38           38400

39           100MS (TRIED 10 – No change)

40           DISABLE (TRIED ENABLE – Broke CAT Control)

75           USB

76           50           (TRIED VARIOUS SETTING INCLUDING 0[MCVR] –

77           70

Carrier level        100W

Mic Gain              32 (TRIED VARIOUS SETTINGS – NO CHANGE)

WSJT-X:

Input and output soundcard is selected to the USB Audio CODEC for the FTDX3000

Under the Radio Tab – PTT=CAT; Mode=USB. When I test CAT-GREEN and when I test PTT – radio shifts to TX with no output.

Under the Audio Tab – USB Audio CODEC – both in and out.

Last, I adjusted levels in the Windows Sound control panel to 100% for TX and 2% for RX. 2% RX puts me at about 45 – 50 dB in the green band on the WSJT-X receive meter (BTW, if there is anyone reading this who was a US Navy Nuc as I was - you should appreciate the term "Green Band"). Any adjustment to the TX level under the Playback tab in the sounds control panel has no effect on RF output.

It appears I’m transmitting but zero carrier.

What am I missing!? Hope it’s something simple/stupid! Thanks for reading this lengthy, detailed post and and appreciate all advise to get this resolved. I’m running all the latest updates with exception of the USB Audio CODEC Drivers – I tried the latest 10.1.7 and then rolled back to the 2016 version posted on Yaesu’s site – no difference.

73, Howard

Lou Rubens - KJ3LR <kj3lr@...>

https://morsetutor.com/2015/02/yaesu-ftdx3000-digi-setup/

Lou Rubens - KJ3LR <kj3lr@...>

Menu 103 should be USB.

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

Edited

That did it I think - testing....thanks! Well, no. That fixes WSJT-X output and breaks my mic output - comnnected at the rear.

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 05:35 PM, Lou Rubens - KJ3LR wrote:
https://morsetutor.com/2015/02/yaesu-ftdx3000-digi-setup/
Reviewing this now....

Bill, W1CKI

That is correct, Bill

On 5/26/2019 5:35 PM, Lou Rubens - KJ3LR via Groups.Io wrote:

Menu 103 should be USB.

Bill, W1CKI

Use front mike connection, 103  "front"
I have my D-104 (modified) plugged into the front mike socket.
Bill

On 5/26/2019 5:50 PM, Howard Waxman, WZ4K wrote:

But...now my mic doesn't work - connected at the rear.

Bill, W1CKI

Hi Howard
 You have almost all correct. looks like problem is in setting up the WSJTX and getting the audio to the rig
I have com7 and com6
 com7 is set for CAT control and com 6 is the PTT using DTR.

In "Audio'    Output speakers are (2 USB Codex) and input is Mike (realtex) not codex.

I have been using this combo for weeks and no problems.
Bill W1cki

On 5/26/2019 5:04 PM, Howard Waxman, WZ4K wrote:

[...]

Yeah, you have to switch between the two. USB for FT8, and front for SSB.

Cliff Engle

Slider on the right edge of the FT8 program screen slid up to where you get output? That's what screwed me up until I discovered it.

On Sun, May 26, 2019, 5:04 PM Howard Waxman, WZ4K <wz4k@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Cliff - no, that is not the issue. So, I've taken 2 steps forward and maybe a few back. Here is a summary of my trouble and complaints.

I now have a carrier output - solved by shifting from USB to DATA-U on the 3000. Great!
However, DATA-U appears to be limited to an audio passband of 2400 Hz - OK, but not great for FT8 and similar modes.

Also, My receive audio is inconsistent across various apps such as WSJT-X(too much) and Winlink Express(too little). This ias easily fixed on the fly with a twist of the RX knob on the SignaLink. Is the only solution to adjust audio levels via Windows sound control panel?

Similarly, I could adjust my TX levels on the SignaLink. What is the easiest way to adjust TX levels using the internal soundcard? Carrier Level knob? How about SC receive levels?

Again, assistance and advice is most appreciated - don't want to sound unappreciative - I'm just frustrated!

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

Lou - that's seems ridiculous to me. Not a solution - that's a work-around.

Bill, W1CKI

I do not have to switch in menu, i must have something different!

On 5/26/2019 6:59 PM, Lou Rubens - KJ3LR via Groups.Io wrote:

Yeah, you have to switch between the two. USB for FT8, and front for SSB.

Cliff Engle

I use the 3000's internal sound card, so I'm sorry I can't give signalink help.  On digital modes I typically set the power via radio knob (carrier) and adjust in the program (WSJT or fldigi).
Good luck and 73.
Cliff W3KKO

On Sun, May 26, 2019, 7:39 PM Howard Waxman, WZ4K <wz4k@...> wrote:
[...]

OK, I am making progress. ALC was a challenge and I think I may have a workable solution. More testing and then a report on my settings. I currently have success with transmit in both WSJT-X and Winlink with no changes in settings but my receive audio is weak in Winlink and just slightly hot in WSJT-X. I think I can work with this. Looking at N1MM+ now to see how it's working - especially in RTTY.

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

Cliff - my SignaLink works perfectly - I am switching to the internal SC and that is the focus of this thread. I have it working - just not to my liking. The SignaLink is much simpler to operate between different SW applications. The reason I'm attempting to switch is my desire to utilize a Panadapter Display through an SDRPlay RSP1A. I am making slow progress.

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

Appreciate the replies. I have this working now across several applications: WIN4Yaesu, DX Labs suite with DX Commander, WSJT-X and JTAlertX, WinlinkExpress and Fldigi. I can run all of these simultaneously without interfering with one another by using COM0COM to create virtual COM ports. Those who stated COM0COM doesn't work - you are wrong. There is no single right solution but rather a combination of the suggestions - for the most part. The heart of my initial trouble was operating in USB as I did with the SignaLink. There was zero carrier - the solution was switching to DATA-U - makes sense when looking at the menu structure and options. My only complaint is the 2400Hz bandwidth limit when in DATA-U which is not optimal for FT8 and other such digital modes where you want to monitor a larger slice and operate split.

Some observations comparing the internal SC with an external SC such as Signalink: I wonder if the internal SC is as sensitive to weak signal decodes as the SignaLink with its Chebyshev filters. So far the decodes are pretty good and WSJT-X certainly can handle weak signals. There is a lot to be said for having a simple Tx and Rx level adjustment pot on the front panel for the SC as the SignaLink does.

I've discovered a free utility from Microsoft - go figure - that places the USB Soundcard playback(TX) and Record(RX) Level adjustments right into the system tray for easy access. Search for Ear Trumpet in the Microsoft Store. This utility should be in Windows 10 by default! I'm still tweaking N1MM+ to work with Fldigi for RTTY contests - it's not cooperating. I'm sticking wth the internal SC for now to give it a chance while my SignaLink takes a rest. The whole reason for the switch - SDRplay - got that working too. I have to learn to use the panadapter effectively - I'm learning - and now I need another monitor!