Topics

Using both RX

Alan

Silly question, I'm waiting for my 101 to arrive. If using both Rx do they share the same aerial or do you need a separate aerial for each?

Morgan Bailey

There are choices as to which rx/tx combo you want to use. The touch screen enables you 3 choices of antenna, 1 2 3. 3 can be delineated as an RX only antenna. Or, it can be either rx or tx. But only 3 can be strictly an RX antenna. When Ant 3 is rx only and selected by the Sub RX then Diversity reception is possible. Either Main or Sub can use the same of different antennas. In the manal this is illustrated with the possible combinations.

73, Morgan NJ8M
BS + MS + $2.98 = COFFEE
Real Life Experience = Priceless, says the man who set his back yard on fire with a bread board tuner loading a 160 meter inverted L with 1000 watts. LOL

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 12:31 AM Alan Floyd via groups.io <g4gvb=aol.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Silly question, I'm waiting for my 101 to arrive. If using both Rx do they share the same aerial or do you need a separate aerial for each?

ray sylvester nr1r

using the 2 receivers in sync mode is awesome. one receiver strips noise from the other.  easy peasy

Earl Cressey

Hi - the manual has very little on Sync.  So you just press the Sync mode button when using both receivers and it improves reception?

Thanks,

Earl Cressey
KK4ITQ

On Mar 6, 2021, at 5:43 AM, ray sylvester nr1r via groups.io <dxhogg@...> wrote:

using the 2 receivers in sync mode is awesome. one receiver strips noise from the other.  easy peasy

Maximo

I understand you need two antennas, one on each receiver, same band/frequency, then SYNC “mixes” signals from both antennas/receivers.

That feature is sometimes called “diversity”.

Is like that?

73, Maximo

Hi - the manual has very little on Sync.  So you just press the Sync mode button when using both receivers and it improves reception?

Thanks,

Earl Cressey

KK4ITQ

On Mar 6, 2021, at 5:43 AM, ray sylvester nr1r via groups.io <dxhogg@...> wrote:

using the 2 receivers in sync mode is awesome. one receiver strips noise from the other.  easy peasy

ray sylvester nr1r

yes set rf gains on both rx to be the same.adjust af gain on rx 2 first then turn rx 1 up and you will hear a null in band noise. it is a balance between both rx .

ray sylvester nr1r

only one antenna is used  try it out

Macy monkeys

No null here.

John K7FD

On Mar 6, 2021, at 5:15 AM, ray sylvester nr1r via groups.io <dxhogg@...> wrote:

yes set rf gains on both rx to be the same.adjust af gain on rx 2 first then turn rx 1 up and you will hear a null in band noise. it is a balance between both rx .

Lou W7HV

SYNC locks the two RX VFOs together. If they are different when you activate SYNC, that difference is locked in and turning the VFO will change both at the same rate. That's all it does. To get the MAIN and SUB frequencies equal, hold the MAIN>/<SUB button above the VFO and the current active RX frequency will be copied into the other RX.  This not only copies the frequency, but also other RX settings like WIDTH, NB, NOTCH, etc..

ray sylvester nr1r

hold sync button down for 3 seconds it beeps 3 times  nothing else to do

Lou W7HV

Yes.  I had forgotten that.  Holding SYNC only copies the frequency and mode across from the active RX to the other, but not other RX settings.   Using the MAIN>/<SUB button, copies all RX settings over, which is why I use that rather than holding the SYNC button.

On Saturday, March 6, 2021, 8:39:34 AM MST, ray sylvester nr1r via groups.io <dxhogg@...> wrote:

hold sync button down for 3 seconds it beeps 3 times  nothing else to do

Alan - W0ARM

"Alan Floyd
Mar 5
Silly question, I'm waiting for my 101 to arrive. If using both Rx do they share the same aerial or do you need a separate aerial for each?"

Well, yes and no... you don't "need" separate aerials, but you can have them if you wish...

There are three antenna inputs available: ANT-1, ANT-2, and ANT-3.  Both VFO's (i.e. receivers) can be set to any of the antennas, any time, together or separately.

Obviously, if you have only one antenna connected, then both receivers can/will share it. That single antenna could also be connected to any of the three inputs, however you wish to configure them.  If you have two (or three) antennas connected (for example, a dipole, a vertical, and a loop) then either (or both) receivers can be connected to any of the antennas... You could set the main-VFO to the dipole, and the sub-VFO to the loop (or whatever combo you want).  Furthermore, each VFO may be on the same band (and/or frequency) or on a different band/frequency.

Additionally, all three antenna ports can be configured as RX & TX [RTX] if desired (this is the default setting).  However, ANT-3 may be configured as a "receive only" input, thus preventing any TX power from going out on it.  The reason is: Suppose you had a receive-only directional loop in use. You wouldn't want any TX power going into it, so you would connect it to ANT-3, and configure it for RX only (in the menu).

There are a couple of other options for the three antennas as well, defining the operation of ANT-1 and ANT-2 in TX (when ANT-3 is set for RX only), and these are fairly well explained in the manual.

Suffice to say, there are options for your antennas, and the combinations are pretty good.

Good luck.  Enjoy your new radio!

73,
Alan
W0ARM

ab9qu

  Is it normal if both VFO's are set on the same antenna there is no receive? I must have my
VFO's set on different antennas or the receive stops. I am unable to do split or anything else
that requires both receivers. I have found nothing in the manual.

thanks
Bill AB9QU

73

Fred Kepner

I am able to listen to both receivers while the two VFO's are set to the same antenna.

73
Fred
K3FRK

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 2:34 PM ab9qu <ab9qu@...> wrote:
  Is it normal if both VFO's are set on the same antenna there is no receive? I must have my
VFO's set on different antennas or the receive stops. I am unable to do split or anything else
that requires both receivers. I have found nothing in the manual.

thanks
Bill AB9QU

Yeah.  I use both RXs simultaneously on the same antenna (same and different bands/frequencies) all the time with no probs.  You might check the ANT3 SELECT setting under OPERATION SETTINGS, GENERAL.  Default is TRX.   Page 101 in the manual.

Other than that, a factory reset would be something to try if you've exhausting other things to look at.  Hold FAST and LOCK on power up to perform the reset.  You can also do it via EXTENSION SETTINGS, RESET.  You can save your menu settings to an SD card first, do the reset and see if that fixes it.  Then reload your menu settings from the SD card.

On Thursday, March 25, 2021, 2:02:12 PM MDT, Fred Kepner <kepnerf@...> wrote:

I am able to listen to both receivers while the two VFO's are set to the same antenna.

73
Fred
K3FRK

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 2:34 PM ab9qu <ab9qu@...> wrote:
  Is it normal if both VFO's are set on the same antenna there is no receive? I must have my
VFO's set on different antennas or the receive stops. I am unable to do split or anything else
that requires both receivers. I have found nothing in the manual.

thanks
Bill AB9QU

73

Franco

HI

If this brief info may also interest you when using the same antenna with the FTDX101 MAIN and SUB ...

I verified a noticeable difference, from 3 to 6db on Smeter and a better reception on signals at the limit which as a result was the hearing or not completely hearing the rx signal:
if it is already in full noise with main and sub on different antennas!!

Unfortunately where I live, the signals that are interesting for me are always extreme ... and 3 / 6db can make the difference.

The Smeter is also more reactive and it is also nice that the FTDX101 by selecting the antennas completely detaches its internal switch (other transceivers may have always inserted and the switching occurs later) giving the possibility with the FTDX101 to have direct reception with different antenna ports between MAIN and SUB with its dual receiver.

Obviously on strong signals there are no audio or udible differences, but in signal strength, in the Smeter or on signal in the noise, this is always better!
On the contrary, it could also be a solution to slightly decrease the sensitivity and have less background noise ... ;-)
Just try and it's there to see/hear!

FTDX101 Improve MAIN RX or SUB RX reception.pdf
(I apologize for my English, I use GoogleTranslator ...)

73
Franco

Maximo

if you have a signal (from an antenna) and you need to feed two different receivers, you need to split 50/50 (using a splitter).
Those 50% means 3dB.
Both receivers will get same signal 3dB less than the "original" at input.

You can always increase that level activating the preamp.

73, Maximo

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 04:02 AM, Maximo wrote:
You can always increase that level activating the preamp.
Yes Maximo,
you have not read everything below correctly, or I have not been able to explain it.

It is evident that putting the preamp in alleviates this, but it is always inferior to the direct original ... it is always better to have 0db of loss at the source and this on the FTDX101 can be done with a click.

As mentioned it changes little but if you check on extreme signals / band, in the breath, you will see the difference that the preamp does not solve.

Obviously in "limited" cases, but since it can be done simply, it is better to report it.
Do some actual tests and you will be able to verify what I have briefly tried to explain.

73

Maximo

Apologies Franco, my post was not a response to yours, just a general reminder for anyone who need it.

In my case, I use both receivers with different antennas.
Would be good to implement (in future releases) a feature to combine both signals into only one, with phase control. That is available on PowerSDr for the Anan since time ago.

73, Maximo

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 04:02 AM, Maximo wrote:
You can always increase that level activating the preamp.
Yes Maximo,
you have not read everything below correctly, or I have not been able to explain it.

It is evident that putting the preamp in alleviates this, but it is always inferior to the direct original ... it is always better to have 0db of loss at the source and this on the FTDX101 can be done with a click.

As mentioned it changes little but if you check on extreme signals / band, in the breath, you will see the difference that the preamp does not solve.

Obviously in "limited" cases, but since it can be done simply, it is better to report it.
Do some actual tests and you will be able to verify what I have briefly tried to explain.

I continue to assert that if received band noise is significantly greater than the noise floor of the radio, that 3 dB will make no difference as it won't change the signal to noise ratio of the received signal.  (Noise floor of this radio is a very excellent -138dBm on 160-4m with AMP2.)  Tune to a portion of the band with no signal, and switch the antenna in and out.  If there's more noise with the antenna switched in, 3dB won't help because it will increase the noise as much as the signal. If you have a situation where band noise isn't significantly greater than the noise floor of the radio, then the 3dB might help.