Topics

Taken the plunge

Alan

OK hand in pocket big time today and brought the 101d, arrives Tuesday. I need to hook it up to the SPE 1.5 linear and I need to be able to use the frequency counter in the SPE so that it will automatically adjust the ATU as I  tune through the bands. What's the best way to do that?

ON4CT

Alan

in the manual of the spe amp is an example of a  band data interface.    The band data of the yaesu is a  15 pin output jack on the rear.

73
Dirk
on4ct

Daniel W9DGI

The easiest way to interface your FTDX101D and an SPE amplifier is to buy a custom cable to carry the CAT data. In the UK you can get this from GM3DX (hamcables.co.uk); in the US Dan Tassell KC5PCB makes excellent interface cables. Or -- there is enough information on linking in the instruction manuals for the Yaesu and the SPE if you want to make your own cable. You will also need to set up menu items in the transceiver and the amplifier -- see the manuals.

Alan

Dirk, that's the whole point I don't want to use the band data as it will not control the ATU on the SPE that's why I need to use the CAT (232) port.

in the manual of the spe amp is an example of a  band data interface.    The band data of the yaesu is a  15 pin output jack on the rear.

73
Dirk
on4ct

Laurie G3UML

GM6DX!  I use his cable from my 101D to my 1.5K. Perfect
Laurie G3UML

On 5 Mar 2021, at 18:02, Daniel W9DGI <dgi@...> wrote:

The easiest way to interface your FTDX101D and an SPE amplifier is to buy a custom cable to carry the CAT data. In the UK you can get this from GM3DX (hamcables.co.uk); in the US Dan Tassell KC5PCB makes excellent interface cables. Or -- there is enough information on linking in the instruction manuals for the Yaesu and the SPE if you want to make your own cable. You will also need to set up menu items in the transceiver and the amplifier -- see the manuals.

Alan

Interesting, does this cable not only deal with band changes, but also tracks the 101's frequency, adjusting the SPE's ATU as it goes?

Daniel W9DGI

The CAT cable will allow the SPE to follow the transceiver's exact VFO frequency, rather than simply move to the correct band. This is much better for the amplifier than depending on the SPE's ability to respond to a transmitted dit and find a good match. To accomplish this you will need to "teach" the SPE to recognize the CAT data from the Yaesu's VFO by using the SPE's TUNE key to program the corresponding sub-band frequencies (table 19 in the SPE manual). This needs to be done for each antenna that will use the SPE's ATU -- see chapters 10 and 11 in the SPE manual.  There's also a very good Quick Start manual for the SPE (by K1ZN) that describes how to do this. It's available on the US SPE site: https://expertlinears.com
One hint -- if you don't find the Yaesu FTDX101D listed among the transceivers on the SPE's CAT setup screen, choose the Yaesu FT-991. Newer Yaesus have a different CAT scheme and the FTDX101D is the same as the FT-991 in that respect. Be sure to set an identical RS232 CAT baud rate on both the Yaesu and the SPE.
73
Daniel, W9DGI

William Granger

Contact KC5PCB

For 232 cable. Works great.
KL7WG

On Mar 5, 2021, at 3:03 PM, Daniel W9DGI <dgi@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the replys. That's  exactly  how I'm  driving the SPE now with the FT 950, except on the SPE the yaesu is set to FTxxxx. So it looks like l will just have to change that to the 991.