Topics

Ribbon cables problem with FTDX-101D

Bruce Forsberg

I am having problems with ribbon cables with my FTDX-101D and was wondering if others are having similar problems? The problem is always the same and is described in the thread "Lack of Main Scope sensitivity outside Roofing Filter" in this group. I have owned this radio for under 3 months and am on my 3rd ribbon cable problem. The first time I sent the radio to Yaesu and they reseated a ribbon cable between the RX1 unit and Main unit. That fixed the problem for 1 week and failed again. Back to Yaesu and they replaced the ribbon cable. The radio worked for another week and failed again. This time I opened the radio and found the RATA signal to the RX1 board was low going to a variable voltage attenuator in the Main Wide band RF path causing 30 db extra attenuation. Traced this signal thru the ribbon cable to the Main unit and then to another ribbon cable to the AF Unit and found the signal being pulled down somehow. Reseated the ribbon cable between the AF Unit and Main unit for the RATA signal and radio works again for how long I don't know.

Am wondering if others are seeing lots of ribbon cable problems? I hope I don't have to open this radio up every week.

Thanks,
Bruce, WB6IZG

ray sylvester nr1r

try a little noalax on the cable for better connectivity

Michael Collins

Ray, never heard the product you mentioned "noalax". Could you tell me what it does and where
to purchase?
Thanks,
Mike NI2E in SNJ

ray sylvester nr1r

available at h/d  under its name noalox  it is a electrical conductive compound that is used on any connection to prevent oxygen  from creating oxidation  i use it on everything pl259 connectors with barrel  connectors as so forth

Roger Hartel

A Google search will reveal the details.
The product is sold at Home Depot and others.
My concern would concern how abrasive the material is, and how thick the plating is on the connector mateing pieces.
GC Chemicals used to sell anti oxide materials for electronics.

One would use far more abrasive materials for use on brass contacts then you would on plated contacts.
These materials often contain a light oil that protects the metal from oxygen or other atmospheric contaminants. Some might contain an abrasive material like finely powerded clay.
So the contact material, the thickness of the plating and the normal force are key issues. Also any motion between the contacts (fretting) is a critical factor.
Fretting can be caused by vibration or thermal effects. Major connector manufactures have info about this on their websites. My experience is more than 30 years old.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020, 12:14 AM Michael Collins via groups.io <bcarradio=aim.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ray, never heard the product you mentioned "noalax". Could you tell me what it does and where
to purchase?
Thanks,
Mike NI2E in SNJ

Judd Sheets

With any kind of liquid or paste like this you need to be very careful about bridging adjacent contacts on a multiconductor cable. If this is a flat flexible cable or similar without any kind of separator between contacts it will be very difficult to apply the contact enhancer without getting it between pins, and is likely to be somewhat conductive and make a leakage path between pins. Not good.

Judd W4BUS

Bruce Forsberg

That is exactly what I was wondering, thanks Judd. I decided not to apply the compound since I am not having contact problems but see a high impedance short of some kind dragging down one of the voltages. So far reseating the ribbon cable has worked.

Bruce, WB6IZG

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 1:19 PM Judd Sheets <odineng@...> wrote:
With any kind of liquid or paste like this you need to be very careful about bridging adjacent contacts on a multiconductor cable. If this is a flat flexible cable or similar without any kind of separator between contacts it will be very difficult to apply the contact enhancer without getting it between pins, and is likely to be somewhat conductive and make a leakage path between pins. Not good.

Judd W4BUS

Richards

... concern ... how abrasive the material is, and how thick the plating
is on the connector mating pieces. ...

---------------------------------

Are you guys experiencing issues with the radio's ribbon cable
connections?   If so, how common or how frequent is this issue?

Thanks for a clarification.       K8JHR

___________________________________

Bruce Forsberg

K8JHR,
I started this thread because I have had 3 ribbon cable problems in the first 3 months of use of owning my FTDX-101D. No one else has stated they are having problems with ribbon cables.

Thanks,
Bruce WB6IZG

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 7:37 PM Richards <jrichards@...> wrote:
... concern ... how abrasive the material is, and how thick the plating
is on the connector mating pieces. ...

---------------------------------

Are you guys experiencing issues with the radio's ribbon cable
connections?   If so, how common or how frequent is this issue?

Thanks for a clarification.       K8JHR

___________________________________

Bruce,

I have owned a 101D since last December. Yaesu UK installed a filter for me in January. When I got home the display and controls did not work properly. I opened up the unit and firmly seated the ribbon cable with gentle pressure along its length. Everything then worked as normal and it has been working fine ever since – just my experience.

Best Wishes

73

Howard

G3YZY

I started this thread because I have had 3 ribbon cable problems in the first 3 months of use of owning my FTDX-101D. No one else has stated they are having problems with ribbon cables.

Thanks,

Bruce WB6IZG

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 7:37 PM Richards <jrichards@...> wrote:

... concern ... how abrasive the material is, and how thick the plating
is on the connector mating pieces. ...

---------------------------------

Are you guys experiencing issues with the radio's ribbon cable
connections?   If so, how common or how frequent is this issue?

Thanks for a clarification.       K8JHR

___________________________________

Richards

Cool --- thanks for the uptake Bruce.     Good luck sorting it out.
K8JHR

WY7M@...

I am sending my radio back for the second time due to what appears to be faulty cables. All buttons on front panel are non-responsive. main dial works

Barry D. Jacobson

I had problem with button lockup, but found it was faulty hand mic that came with radio. Try unplugging mic and turning off, then back on.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU