Question about the SCU-Lan10 Interface

DM4YY@...

Hello OMs and YLs, I am interested in the Yaesu SCU-Lan10. What all can be controlled remotely, especially via the Internet. For example, I would want to control the101D from the living room or from the garden. Unfortunately, I can not connect the 101D directly to my router. I have a mesh network with 2 routers so that I can connect the 101D with the second router via Lan. The two routers work via wifi. Is this a problem? Do I have a big delay? What do I need to be aware of and most importantly what are the problems. Best Regards and 73 Michael DM4YY

Barry D. Jacobson

In the current QST, May 2021, there is a full review. May help. Don't
have link. Perhaps somebody does.
--
Barry Jacobson
bdj@...

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM DM4YY via groups.io
<DM4YY@...> wrote:

Hello OMs and YLs, I am interested in the Yaesu SCU-Lan10. What all can be controlled remotely, especially via the Internet. For example, I would want to control the101D from the living room or from the garden. Unfortunately, I can not connect the 101D directly to my router. I have a mesh network with 2 routers so that I can connect the 101D with the second router via Lan. The two routers work via wifi. Is this a problem? Do I have a big delay? What do I need to be aware of and most importantly what are the problems. Best Regards and 73 Michael DM4YY

Lou W7HV

Here's a link.  I think you need to be a paid up member.

file:///C:/Users/louan/AppData/Local/Temp/PROD_REV_0521-1.pdf

DM4YY@...

Hello,
unfortunately this does not help me as I am not a paying member !
73 Michael

Lou W7HV

I have no experience with it for at least one good reason.  It won't do CW and I basically only operated CW.  Bottom line from the review:  It's quite difficult to get configured to work remotely, has limited control of the rig, and will only TX in voice modes, no CW or digital.  If you're considering it, I think it would be well worthwhile reading the review in the May 2021 QST.  There are ops using it for remote SSB operation who are quite happy with it.

Richard Kennedy

Lou, W7HV is correct.  The Yaesu LAN unit will only work on SSB mode; No CW or Digital.  IMO another Yaesu product released prematurely before it met certain, minimum operational features.  73 Rich, K3VAT

KD2WBI - Tom

Multiple questions there:
-> What can be controlled: short answer without an inventory is a subset of what you can control from the radio itself - basically useful for phone only and listening

-> Control via the internet: the unit SCU-10 unit has an ethernet port for connection to your home network and includes instructions on how to pop a hole in your firewall to allow access from outside your immediate network (from the internet) Those instructions aren't good and some folks have had issues. I use a VPN and connect to my internal network and the radio remotely in that manner. Not a fan of holes in firewalls.

-> In terms of shortcomings: limited functionality as noted above, no tablet or mobile interfaces, requires a decent computer to function properly. I have a small surface tablet that doesn't use one of the full on intel processors and it does lag. Full blown laptop or desktop not an issue.

Bottom line - nice for when I want to sit outside and listen but absolutely does not replace sitting in front of the radio. With out additional functionality like ability to control all menus and CW/digital modes - its still on the toy side of the spectrum.

Inigo EB2AQH

Dear Michael,
I have installed the SCU-lan10 in my FTdx101MP since last October and I am very satisfied with it.
The connection with the radio is made through an Ethernet cable from my router and remotely I use any laptop that runs windows through a Wi-Fi internet connection or 4G network.
Latency in any case is not a problem and the audio quality in both RX and TX is very good. There are many colleagues who when I tell them that I operating remotely they don't realise the difference.
In my case it is the best way to be able to do radio when I am not at home, or when I am sitting on the sofa or in bed, and amortise the cost of such expensive equipment (smile ...)
There are some functions in the program that do not work 100%, such as the possibility of adjusting the sensitivity level of the waterfall, but I suppose they will improve over time.
It would also be desirable to develop software app to be able to use it with android or IOs, which is not possible today.
Another big limitation is that SCU-lan10 must be connected to USB socket at the back of the radio, so you will loose the possibility to use this connectivity with other application or external devices.
The only way to way to do it is via RS232 socket for CAT and aux line audio in/out connection.
This is my case, USB for SCU-lan10 and RS232 and Line aux in/out for FT8, Ham Radio Deluxe, etc.
I hope it will help you.

73
Inigo - EB2AQH

ON4CT

Inigo

Thanks for this information.
Does this works also in  cw /rtty/digi modes ?

Dirk

Inigo EB2AQH

Yes, all modes are available for TX and RX
I only operate in SSB but you can use CW, RTTY, DATA, AM, FM modes.
I don't know how to connect a CW key to the PC, or you must use the keyboard. Better to read the manual.
73
Inigo - EB2AQH

Lou W7HV

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 04:35 PM, Inigo EB2AQH wrote:
Yes, all modes are available for TX and RX
I only operate in SSB but you can use CW, RTTY, DATA, AM, FM modes.
I don't know how to connect a CW key to the PC, or you must use the keyboard. Better to read the manual.
73
Inigo - EB2AQH
FWIW: I don't have one myself, but according to the ARRL review and a number of other users, the SCU-LAN10 will only TX voice modes.  It will RX all modes.  There is no TX in CW or digital modes.

PA7TWO - Kees

I recall Yaesu has a demo video with FT8.
--

Vy 73, de Kees - PA7TWO - M5TWO