Topics

mfj 998 and mfj 5114y cable

ROBERT Donchez

borrowed a friends mfj998 tuner to try wiith my 101d- bought 5114y cable from hro as suggested by them to try tuner
tuner will not be recognized by the 101.   i set menu to external 1 on 101d (turns blue) , set the 998 tuner to fc30, shut off tuner and radio, turn tuner on first, then radio, press tune on 101d and the internal tuner on 101 starts tuning
have tried 2 program cables, updated firmware on mfj (just in case - no difference-)
seems like 101 doesnt see tuner.
am i doing something wrong?

went back to friend and he put back on icom7610, change the settiung to icom and works fine with tune on radio.

tnx
bob donchez
wb3hyb
610-833-2966

Jon Ermels

Mine did that until I saved my settings and memory, then did a complete reset.  After I reinstalled everything it all worked.  It takes much longer for the radio to activate the tuner than my other Yaesu's but it works.
Intellitune on,
tuning mode auto,
por sticky tune on

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Friday, March 5, 2021, 08:31:59 AM CST, ROBERT Donchez <wb3hyb@...> wrote:

borrowed a friends mfj998 tuner to try wiith my 101d- bought 5114y cable from hro as suggested by them to try tuner
tuner will not be recognized by the 101.   i set menu to external 1 on 101d (turns blue) , set the 998 tuner to fc30, shut off tuner and radio, turn tuner on first, then radio, press tune on 101d and the internal tuner on 101 starts tuning
have tried 2 program cables, updated firmware on mfj (just in case - no difference-)
seems like 101 doesnt see tuner.
am i doing something wrong?

went back to friend and he put back on icom7610, change the settiung to icom and works fine with tune on radio.

tnx
bob donchez
wb3hyb
610-833-2966

S S

I've had problems getting my MFJ-939 working with the 101D as well. It works great with my FT-891.

N0IGU, when you say that you saved off the setting and memory, I'm assuming that was to an SD card, then after the reset, you read the settings back into the radio? If so, I'll have to give it a go as I really want this setup to work.

Jon Ermels

That's exactly what I did.  It seems to take a lot longer holding the tune button in until it tunes.

73 de NØIGU Jon