LINEAR JACK (DB15) PIN 1

ROBERT Donchez

PIN 1 is labeled as 13.5v.  does anyone know if it is current limited, and if so the limit value.
tnx
bob donchez

Barry D. Jacobson

I think the manual may say. I seem to recall there is another low current DC output jack in back for accessories.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021, 6:54 PM ROBERT Donchez via groups.io <wb3hyb=rcn.com@groups.io> wrote:
PIN 1 is labeled as 13.5v.  does anyone know if it is current limited, and if so the limit value.
tnx
bob donchez

Barry D. Jacobson

From manual regarding dedicated 13.8 output:

 +13.8V This RCA output jack provides regulated, sepa-rately fused 13.8 VDC at up to 200 mA, to power an external device such as a packet TNC. Make sure your device does not require more current (if it does, use a separate power source).

Please see screenshot of manual attached.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021, 6:59 PM Barry Jacobson <bdj@...> wrote:
I think the manual may say. I seem to recall there is another low current DC output jack in back for accessories.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU
bdj@...
@bdj_phd

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021, 6:54 PM ROBERT Donchez via groups.io <wb3hyb=rcn.com@groups.io> wrote:
PIN 1 is labeled as 13.5v.  does anyone know if it is current limited, and if so the limit value.
tnx
bob donchez

Lou W7HV

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 04:54 PM, ROBERT Donchez wrote:
PIN 1 is labeled as 13.5v.  does anyone know if it is current limited, and if so the limit value.
tnx
bob donchez
It's weird.  PIN1 on the DB15 LINEAR jack, the 13.8V RCA jack, and PIN8 of the 13 pin ACC jack are all protected by a number of 3.15A fuses.  They're all on the MAIN UNIT schematic.  The manual limits the 13.8V RCA jack to 200mA though it is protected by a 3.15A fuse.  Normally, if limited to 200mA, I'd expect to see a fuse rating much closer to that.

Given the discrepancy between the fuse rating and the RCA jack rating, I can't guess what the other 13.8V pins are rated at.  If you exceed 3A, a fuse will blow, but something may go before that.