De: FTDX101D@groups.io <FTDX101D@groups.io> en nombre de Bill - G0VDE <bill@...>
Enviado: jueves, 15 de abril de 2021 7:45
Para: FTDX101D@groups.io <FTDX101D@groups.io>
Asunto: [FTDX101D] FTDX101 vs FTDX 5000

Hi, I hope this question has not been asked too many times, but here in the UK the prices of these two rigs are very similar. You get the 5000MP with 200W TX for about the same as the 101D with 100W TX.

The 5000 is (?) 10 year old tech, but which is the radio to go for? The 5000 does not have the waterfall and is not SDR...
I am in a somewhat noisy sub-urban QTH so what are the pros and cons please.

Cheers, Bill

ray sylvester nr1r

101d is a winner by all respects. the dnr and vct function alone brings this radio to a level where no other radio can accomplish no matter what the price class.
the 5000  was a good performer 10 years ago.   all the best  ray nr1r

Bill,

I have had 101d for over a year and it really has an excellent rx – had 9000d before.

A friend has changed to 101d from a 7300 and reports much better reception in high noise environment.

I use a linear psu with 101d to avoid switch mode issues!

73

Howard

G3YZY

Hi, I hope this question has not been asked too many times, but here in the UK the prices of these two rigs are very similar. You get the 5000MP with 200W TX for about the same as the 101D with 100W TX.

The 5000 is (?) 10 year old tech, but which is the radio to go for? The 5000 does not have the waterfall and is not SDR...
I am in a somewhat noisy sub-urban QTH so what are the pros and cons please.

Cheers, Bill

Rob Sherwood

The 101D has much lower transmit composite noise.  On the other hand, the 5000MP can be run in class A, and in that case has much lower transmit odd-order IMD splatter as long as there is almost no ALC indicated on the meter.   Rob, NC0B

Frank W2YK

Part of the equation is ergonomics...  I have the 1000MP, 5000MP and the 101MP.  I find the 1000MP has the best human interface, but use the 101 for performance and display all the time!

Lou W7HV

Yep.  I like the 1000mp UI and ergonomics best too, though the menus are a bit abstruse when you need to use them. . I'm looking at adding a panadapter to mine. It's no slacker performance wise, but 101 is def better is some condx.

ON4CT

Biill

Yes ,  about the same price.   You will have a  200 watt  , well built and good receiver.
Am coming from a  5000D , the most step forward with the 101  is the  spectrum screen, the an  effective vc tune  and a better receiver in very crowded condx.

You can add a  panandapter receiver on the 5000.,  then the price will rise for this combo.

The price difference between the mp and a  d version of the 101 : if you count the add s on like  a power/ supply/speaker,  vc tune in second receiver , .....  you will have the  200 w too.in a fully loaded transceiver.   If you want to add this  options to a d ,  this  sum will be like a mp.

200 w is  3db over the 100 w ,  you will experiences a difference during normal qso s,  , but not in a pile up for to work  a dx exp.  the power levels used a that time  are far above the  200 w.

The best amplifier is the antenna.

it is up to you to decide.

Dirk
oin4ct

ON4CT

Bill

I forgot to mention,   With the  101  no  interface needed  between pc-tx,  The usb connection does it all.   If you have already one , you can sell that one.

dirk
on4ct

I had both the 5000 and 101MP for sometime.  Side by side comparisons of the two rigs clearly showed that the 101MP had superior RX audio which was smoother, quieter, less fatiguing over time.  I was surprised how much better the 101MP sounded over the 5000.

Noel Gauntlett

Hi Bill,
My opinions are based on how I like to operate, are not technical and are just my personal preferences.  I have had the 5000MP for more than 6 years and love it.  Obviously I am quite familiar with the rig.  In contrast, I have only recently gotten the 101MP and have only a couple months of use with.  That said,  my pros and cons may not be a fair comparison.  But since no one else seems willing to share any real pros and cons between the two rigs, I will share my opinion and hope you find it helpful.

The 101 is bit smaller than the 5K, is not as deep, and not as heavy as the 5K which is a heavy beast.
The 101 has a built in digital interface, with all that entails.   CW decoder for example is a neat feature on the 101.
The 101's receiver is a bit hotter than the 5K.  I have them side by side and can switch between them on the same antenna. So far, there is nothing one rig hears that the other does not.  But signals are stronger on the 101.  On noisy bands, I must add attenuation for comfortable listening, but I do that with either rig.  I think the receivers are similar but the 101 has more amplification.

When I use the 101, I miss the SM-5000 stereo speakers.  The 101 has only 1 speaker which is not great but is still ok.
On the 5K, when in split mode, I can listen to the main receiver in speaker A and sub receiver in speaker B.  No such speaker B on the 101.
Of course if you don't have the SM5000 with the 5K it is a mute point.  Still, I prefer the stereo speakers of the SM-5000 over the 101s mono speaker.

The 5000 has a great visual CW indicator that works well and is useful for getting right on a signal.
The 101 has a colorful visual indicator that is all but useless and just jumps around.  You are left to just use your own ears.   A big fail here in my opinion.

On the 101 you can not turn off the sub receiver.  It is always on and is indicated by the annoying blue light reminding you on what band it was last used.
On the 5K, the sub receiver is completely off until you select it by either split mode or the tx or rx buttons.

The 101 does not provide a separate squelch control. Squelch is shared on the same knob with AF/RF gain.  Three different things on one knob.  So you can not control squelch and RF gain at the same time.  My guess is they figure you don't need squelch in SSB mode.  Another fail, in my opinion.
On the 5K, AF gain, sql and RF gain are independent controls, like on most radios.

The 101 has a different way of controlling ALC that takes some getting used to and is not sufficiently documented in the owner's manual.  It uses an automatic mic control that you can't turn off, while on the 5K you have full control of your mic gain and ALC as you might already be familiar with.  This is probably the first thing you will notice when you first start using the 101.  My opinion of this automatic mic control (AMC) feature is yet undecided but so far I put it in the con category rather than the pro.  I am sure others will disagree.  My feeling is, when I buy a top of the line radio I want full control, not less control and not to be big brothered.  I can drive my amp and control my audio much easier using the 5K.  So for me, this is the go to radio during a contest where I want to use my amp.  Using the 101, the AMC is frankly an annoyance rather than a help when I want more ALC.  The rig is trying to prevent splatter, which I am accustomed to controlling myself.  Admittedly I am having growing pains with this feature of the 101.

Still, both radios are exceptional and you will not be disappointed with either.   I don't put much stock in rating the DNR and QRM fighting features between the two rigs.  Both rigs have almost the same features in this regard.  But they just go about things differently.  VRF on the 5K vs VC Tune on the 101 for example.  I also don't put much stock in how old the 5K is vs the newer 101.  My opinion is the older model is tried and tested and is reliable.  The newer model is more colorful and has a few new features like the digital capabilities, but will come with some growing pains.

It seems some people on this reflector have a real aversion to saying anything negative about the 101 and instead have a tendency for simply glorifying them.  Some of the responses read like a commercial for selling the 101s vs a real comparison.   I feel no such compunction and frankly I find that perspective less than helpful and rather feel it is important to point out differences between the radios when doing a comparison.  You can decide if those differences are important to how you like to operate.  Maybe pros and cons shouldn't be how we compare them and maybe just an A vs B comparison would be more accurate.  Point is it does not mean one rig is inferior. They are both great radios.

Good luck whichever way you decide!

73
Noel
WS7X

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 6:26 AM Bill - G0VDE <bill@...> wrote:
Hi, I hope this question has not been asked too many times, but here in the UK the prices of these two rigs are very similar. You get the 5000MP with 200W TX for about the same as the 101D with 100W TX.

The 5000 is (?) 10 year old tech, but which is the radio to go for? The 5000 does not have the waterfall and is not SDR...
I am in a somewhat noisy sub-urban QTH so what are the pros and cons please.

Cheers, Bill

Maximo EA1DDO - M0HAO - HK1H

If I am not wrong...

>When I use the 101, I miss the SM-5000 stereo speakers.  The 101 has only 1 speaker which is not great but is still ok.

You get two speaker jacks at the rear, so you can buy two SP-101 and connect them to both receivers, one each. Sorted.

>On the 101 you can not turn off the sub receiver.  It is always on and is indicated by the annoying blue light reminding you on what band it was last used.

Over the dial wheel, there are four buttons where you can turn on/off every receiver.

73, Maximo

[...]

Maximo.
Methinks you're wrong about the sub receiver.  You're talking about the TX and RX red and green buttons for the main and sub receiver.  I'm talking about the blue button above the band buttons for the sub receiver that is always on, and showing what band the sub receiver is still set to.  If you can turn that off, please let us all know.  I would appreciate it.

Anyone connected two speakers to the 101 can say if you can work rec a in one and rec b in the other?  I don't know if the feature exists in the 101.  The manual says nothing of this, so my guess is it will just give you two mono speakers...but I could be wrong...it has happened before...hi

N.
Noel

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 9:18 AM Maximo <ea1ddo@...> wrote:
If I am not wrong...

> [...]

Good luck whichever way you decide!

73
Noel
WS7X

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 6:26 AM Bill - G0VDE <bill@...> wrote:
Hi, I hope this question has not been asked too many times, but here in the UK the prices of these two rigs are very similar. You get the 5000MP with 200W TX for about the same as the 101D with 100W TX.

The 5000 is (?) 10 year old tech, but which is the radio to go for? The 5000 does not have the waterfall and is not SDR...
I am in a somewhat noisy sub-urban QTH so what are the pros and cons please.

I haven't experimented with this but page 16 of the manual describes how the two speaker outputs on the back of the rig work.  It says:

Plug into Jack A and get Main and Sub on ext spkr
Plug into Jack B and get Main on ext spkr and Sub in internal spkr
Plug into both Jack A and Jack B and get Sub on A external spkr and Main on B external spkr

Are any of these options what you're looking for?

Jaime Perez

Yes in the 101 you have Main Spk Right and Sub Left the same stereo than a FT5K (you chose this in a menu) and I have connected the rear speakers to a Behringer MS40 and there is great audio from my radios and also to listen music from digital output sound card in a computer, nothing to compare with the speakers of SM5000 that had an useless pan-adapter but you have the stereo audio with the Phones output also.
The VC-tune in the 101 is a lot better than VRF on the 5k. I had a FT5K for 6 years and had a good receiver but for me is much better the 101 in everything.
73, Jaime, EA6NB.

K4TK

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 07:05 AM, Noel Gauntlett wrote:

It seems some people on this reflector have a real aversion to saying anything negative about the 101 and instead have a tendency for simply glorifying them.  Some of the responses read like a commercial for selling the 101s vs a real comparison.   I feel no such compunction and frankly I find that perspective less than helpful and rather feel it is important to point out differences between the radios when doing a comparison.  You can decide if those differences are important to how you like to operate.  Maybe pros and cons shouldn't be how we compare them and maybe just an A vs B comparison would be more accurate.  Point is it does not mean one rig is inferior. They are both great radios.

Good luck whichever way you decide!

73
Noel
WS7X

I hear your point, and since you went there..............I feel free to go where I see things from my perspective as a long time practicing professional Engineer and Ham of many years. To paraphrase....."it seems some people on this reflector have a real aversion to saying anything positive about the 101 and instead have a tendency for simply whining about them". Not pointing this at you, more so at others (maybe I should repeat that....as some seem to be prone to misinterpret things and some are quite overly sensitive.....so....THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU....but rather at many others that post on here). There seem to be "quite a few" (I'm trying to remain somewhat politically correct) that complain and whine about every little tiny thing that ....as they see it....based on how THEY operate, the radio has some flaws or bugs or is damaged. Of course, regarding flaws, YES....surely it has some .Show me one radio on the market that doesn't? One radio that pleases "all the people, all the time"? Yep, there are NONE.

Further, many times....the so called flaws turn out to be ....as we say in the IT business....."user error". They don't read the manual. Or if they do, they can't comprehend what they read. Some ....seem to be....as we say..."technology challenged" (my wife hates when I use that term on her...but sometimes, the truth hurts!). Many of the complaints on here could be solved by reading the manual and comprehending what is read. NOT ALL, mind you. I repeat myself, but before the "whiners" start whining yet again.....YES....this radio...like all ....has some flaws. So of course, some of the negative comments are INDEED legitimate.

But many of the flaws and bugs are either user error or implementation choices made by Yaesu that often times....admittedly.....sure do appear to be poor choices on Yaesu's part.

And before anyone "goes there" about this reply, I neither work for Yaesu nor market for them nor have stock in their company. I own the radio (and like it), because it was the BEST radio available in its price range from my research. Am I happy with it? Heck yes! Does it have some flaws ? Sure! Are there some design choices by Yaesu that might be lacking in the opinion of most? Most certainly!

But I can't help but read some of the "complaints" on here and  shake my head. Not all mind you, but some. Like every reflector/board, this board seems to have plenty of folks on both sides of the aisle. Just thought I'd point out....as you did....about the "other side" of things.....the nay-sayers....of which, there sure seems to be plenty!

So I'll close like you did and say good luck whichever radio folks decide to go with. And as long as the individual likes the choice they made, of course...that's all that really matters. I like the choices in radios I own ...including the 101D, and until something better comes along for a similar price, I'll likely be happily keeping mine. Maybe Yaesu will slowly make some firmware changes that please the masses as time goes by (even I have a few desires for improvements/fixes). And thank you for giving me an "opening" to say something I've thought about saying for some time....but didn't feel I had a good "opening" to run with.

--
73,
K4TK/Tim

Jon Ermels

On my 5K I put the cheap sounding SM5000 back in the box and used a pair of Logitech speakers. Now that sounded good.

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 12:32 PM, Jon Ermels wrote:
On my 5K I put the cheap sounding SM5000 back in the box and used a pair of Logitech speakers. Now that sounded good.

73 de NØIGU Jon

That sounds like (pun intended) a pretty darn good solution. On my 101D, I have a modified SP2000 with the DX Engineering acoustic foam kit as well as the Pheonom speaker replacement, and additionally I have the line out of that speaker feed a pair of Edifier amplified book shelf speakers with some EQ. Those THREE speakers together.....when listening to good audio, sound WONDERFUL!

--
73,
K4TK/Tim

Maximo EA1DDO - M0HAO - HK1H

If we talk about ergonomics… best Yaesu was my FT Dx-9000.

I know 5000 has better receiver, and 101 has even better than the 5000, but big brother 9000 was best for ergonomics, full knobs and buttons set, for everything you need, plus good size screen, etc.

Hopefully Yaesu will release a “new 9000” with 101´s SDR receivers, new SCU-LAN included inside, 200 W (perhaps 400 ??), internal PSU, etc.

A real flagship comparable to TS-990 and IC-7851.

73, Maximo

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 12:32 PM, Jon Ermels wrote:

On my 5K I put the cheap sounding SM5000 back in the box and used a pair of Logitech speakers. Now that sounded good.

73 de NØIGU Jon

That sounds like (pun intended) a pretty darn good solution. On my 101D, I have a modified SP2000 with the DX Engineering acoustic foam kit as well as the Pheonom speaker replacement, and additionally I have the line out of that speaker feed a pair of Edifier amplified book shelf speakers with some EQ. Those THREE speakers together.....when listening to good audio, sound WONDERFUL!

--
73,
K4TK/Tim
Titus, AL

Jeff AC0C

I like that idea too.  The FT2K ergonomics (filtering on CW/RTTY) are a bit better than the FT5K in my opinion.  Never had the pleasure of a 9K on my desk.  But have seen them at Dayton.  Lovely.  Big.  Classic.  And no ALT-SHIFT-TOUCH_HERE finger gymnastics required.  :)

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com