Topics

AM settings FTDX101D

Steve G4HTZ

AM is still popular in UK , especially on 160 80 and 60m .

can anyone recommend any audio settings for use on AM ....default settings get muffled audio reports .

thanks
steve

dl5ocd@...

Mine sounds brilliant on AM, using the same settings as on SSB.

AM-TX-Bandwidth 50-3050 (or TTBF)

MIC GAIN 25

AMC OUT 50 (default)

PROC LEVEL AMC (default)

TX-EQ on with following settings:
PMTRC EQ1 FREQ 100Hz
PMTRC EQ1 Level 10
PMTRC EQ1 BWTH 1
PMTRC EQ2 FREQ 800Hz
PMTRC EQ2 Level -8
PMTRC EQ2 BWTH 1
PMTRC EQ3 FREQ 2300Hz
PMTRC EQ3 Level 10
PMTRC EQ3 BWTH 1

Same settings for P PMTRC EQ

Depending on your microphone it might vary, but it is a good starting point.

I always get very nice reports with those settings.

73
Michael

Steve G4HTZ

Thanks Michael....will have a look at your suggestions
73
steve G4htz

dl5ocd@...

You are welcome, pse let me know how it works for you.

On SSB i set the TX-Bandwidth to 100-2900 (TX BPF SEL) with the same settings mentioned above.

This will give you a kind of "BBC quality" ;o)
Some like it, others don`t.

73
Michael

k4cvl

Mike, What mic ARE you using with these settings?  - Mike, K4CVL

Thank you Michael, Excellent Information, especially for new owners.

regards

Adrian Fewster

vk4tux

On 22/3/20 8:50 pm, dl5ocd@... wrote:

Mine sounds brilliant on AM, using the same settings as on SSB.

AM-TX-Bandwidth 50-3050 (or TTBF)

MIC GAIN 25
AMC OUT 50 (default)

PROC LEVEL AMC (default)

TX-EQ on with following settings:
PMTRC EQ1 FREQ 100Hz
PMTRC EQ1 Level 10
PMTRC EQ1 BWTH 1
PMTRC EQ2 FREQ 800Hz
PMTRC EQ2 Level -8
PMTRC EQ2 BWTH 1
PMTRC EQ3 FREQ 2300Hz
PMTRC EQ3 Level 10
PMTRC EQ3 BWTH 1

Same settings for P PMTRC EQ

Depending on your microphone it might vary, but it is a good starting point.

I always get very nice reports with those settings.

73
Michael

dl5ocd@...

Mike,

i tried a Yaesu MD-100, Icom SM-20 and a Rode NT1A. All 3 working perfect with those settings.
Also the stock mic sounds good.
It`s very good for AM and SSB, FM sounds terrible. For FM i have to switch off the EQ.

73
Michael

k4cvl

Thanks Mike…I used a Heil headset with the switchable HC-4 and HC-5 elements. I typically use the HC-5 (I have heard the HC-4 on radios and think they sound harsh).  I will try your settings as indicated.   ’73, Mike

i tried a Yaesu MD-100, Icom SM-20 and a Rode NT1A. All 3 working perfect with those settings.
Also the stock mic sounds good.
It`s very good for AM and SSB, FM sounds terrible. For FM i have to switch off the EQ.

73
Michael

N7ZM

With the new settings has anyone else noticed the audio while using the DNR is far harsher than before. Is it the new setting upgrade or because the SFI and A has caused poor reception I don't know so that's why I'm asking. The audio using it is so poor I just turn it off. Is it just me or????
Ron n7zm

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

BILL KENNAMER

I have no complaints. In fact, it’s now more usable at the lower levels.

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 5:41 PM, N7ZM <n7zm@...> wrote:

With the new settings has anyone else noticed the audio while using the DNR is far harsher than before. Is it the new setting upgrade or because the SFI and A has caused poor reception I don't know so that's why I'm asking. The audio using it is so poor I just turn it off. Is it just me or????
Ron n7zm

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Macy monkeys

I will say the old DNR was very effective and surprised they toyed with it. Fix it until it's broke maybe? That said, I sort of like the new DNR and haven't noticed any harshness. SSB or CW, Ron? DNR on both modes seems pretty good here but I live in a relatively quiet QTH. I don't go past level 10 on CW and 5 on SSB. I'm sure it gets pretty aggressive higher than level 10. The amount of noise reduction seems to increase logically from low to high now. Before it seemed like a hodge podge.

John K7FD

On Mar 22, 2020, at 3:41 PM, N7ZM <n7zm@...> wrote:

With the new settings has anyone else noticed the audio while using the DNR is far harsher than before. Is it the new setting upgrade or because the SFI and A has caused poor reception I don't know so that's why I'm asking. The audio using it is so poor I just turn it off. Is it just me or????
Ron n7zm

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Jr Williams

The new DNR controls on my mp are working fantastic ..definitely like the Improvement in the firmware upgrade..Jr. KO4OO