Diversity reception…just for fun

Macy monkeys

I’m no longer a hardcore DXer or contest nut but have found two receivers very entertaining during my casual CW ragchews.

I use the ‘separate’ setting on my headphones and then sync Main and Sub receivers. I get a kick out of listening to my mag loop in my right ear and my inv vee in my left. Fun to listen to the signal shift back forth between antennas, going from one ear to the other.

On the loop I use ATT off and IPO on Amp 1. On the inv vee I set ATT to 6 dB and IPO to IPO. For me, this levels the playing field between the two signal strengths making it easier to hear interesting propagation shifts between the two antennas.

Lots of fun to be had with the FTdx101D/MP!

John K7FD

Ari Þórólfur

This is not Diversity reception
Only RX with 2 receiver + 2 speaker.
If you have Diversity reception receiver you will see new world
😊
Like Anan Transceiver have real Diversity reception RX.

De TF1A
Yes I do own FTDX 101D with out clock  :þ

I’m no longer a hardcore DXer or contest nut but have found two receivers very entertaining during my casual CW ragchews.

I use the ‘separate’ setting on my headphones and then sync Main and Sub receivers. I get a kick out of listening to my mag loop in my right ear and my inv vee in my left. Fun to listen to the signal shift back forth between antennas, going from one ear to the other.

On the loop I use ATT off and IPO on Amp 1. On the inv vee I set ATT to 6 dB and IPO to IPO. For me, this levels the playing field between the two signal strengths making it easier to hear interesting propagation shifts between the two antennas.

Lots of fun to be had with the FTdx101D/MP!

John K7FD

Maximo EA1DDO - M0HAO - HK1H

Diversity is that; 2 receivers with two different antennas, and a commuting process to select the one offering best receotion.
That is Diversity. It is in use for years on VHF repeaters, for example.

Anan is able to do "Phasing Reception", which is different (and better) than Diversity. Phasing two different signals, and letting you to change the phase angle, etc.

73, Maximo EA1DDO

I’m no longer a hardcore DXer or contest nut but have found two receivers very entertaining during my casual CW ragchews.

I use the ‘separate’ setting on my headphones and then sync Main and Sub receivers. I get a kick out of listening to my mag loop in my right ear and my inv vee in my left. Fun to listen to the signal shift back forth between antennas, going from one ear to the other.

On the loop I use ATT off and IPO on Amp 1. On the inv vee I set ATT to 6 dB and IPO to IPO. For me, this levels the playing field between the two signal strengths making it easier to hear interesting propagation shifts between the two antennas.

Lots of fun to be had with the FTdx101D/MP!

John K7FD

Macy monkeys

Well, excuuuuuse me :)

John K7FD

[...]

Lou W7HV

I refer to this a perversity reception using a software defiled radio.

Maximo EA1DDO - M0HAO - HK1H

Forgot to say, there are more than one "Diversity".
It could be; spatial diversity, frequency diversity, polarization diversity, phase diversity, etc.

73, Maximo

I’m no longer a hardcore DXer or contest nut but have found two receivers very entertaining during my casual CW ragchews.

I use the ‘separate’ setting on my headphones and then sync Main and Sub receivers. I get a kick out of listening to my mag loop in my right ear and my inv vee in my left. Fun to listen to the signal shift back forth between antennas, going from one ear to the other.

On the loop I use ATT off and IPO on Amp 1. On the inv vee I set ATT to 6 dB and IPO to IPO. For me, this levels the playing field between the two signal strengths making it easier to hear interesting propagation shifts between the two antennas.

Lots of fun to be had with the FTdx101D/MP!

John K7FD

BILL KENNAMER

Actually, it is true diversity reception. You can separate the two receivers as John and I do, or you can use the menu and set to audio to feed both receivers into a mono audio line. That may be more what you’re looking for.

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 5:56 AM, Ari Þórólfur <ari@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick Bouldin KM5L

While we're on this topic, a little left turn. I like to run my audio through a mixer and an EQ and effects  processor - split the radio audio output and process them as two channels. I use the different effects to take a normally dull and dry communication to wet and much easier on the ears. I like to delay or phase them for a stereo effect - not on CW, that makes is a little difficult to copy - but, I definitely add reverb. For SSB I make it stereo. After an hour with the cans on I don't feel radio fatigued compared to a standard non effects output. Also - since we all have different levels of audio damage to our ears the EQ is very handy to accentuate what is missing and nulling what's not. It's actually cheap to do all this, you can find all these items on ebay for $25 to $100. PS - I also use the EQ on my audio TX out. Yes, the FTDX-101 has parametric EQ but I find readily available knobs to be much quicker and easier to make incremental changes.

73,
Patrick KM5L

Macy monkeys

Like you, I let my Behringer 802 mixer do the TX EQ. To my ears, the transmit audio is slightly cleaner sounding than using the rig's internal EQ.

John K7FD