Power meter shows 1/2 of the actual output strength #power #meter #powermeter

jvanallen@...

FTDX-101D Power Output Meter will show only 50W, and the Meter inline with the coax shows 108W in SSB mode.

After using 3 different output meters inline with the coax, I have found that the (FTDX-101D) Power Meter
shows only 1/2 for the actual power output that is shown on meters inline on the coax on SSB.

FTDX-101D Power Meter shows correctly on FT8/RTTY/FM (100W with Coax Meter showing 108W)
Anyone else notice this on SSB ?

Rig is less that 1 month old and all the firmware is the latest according to Yeasu W/S.

Thanks for looking.
Jim

G1OAR

The meter in the radio is NOT a peak reading meter

On 9 Oct 2021, at 20:41, Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:

FTDX-101D Power Output Meter will show only 50W, and the Meter inline with the coax shows 108W in SSB mode.

After using 3 different output meters inline with the coax, I have found that the (FTDX-101D) Power Meter
shows only 1/2 for the actual power output that is shown on meters inline on the coax on SSB.

FTDX-101D Power Meter shows correctly on FT8/RTTY/FM (100W with Coax Meter showing 108W)
Anyone else notice this on SSB ?

Rig is less that 1 month old and all the firmware is the latest according to Yeasu W/S.

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Jerry Lofstead W3CDE

Average,  peak or PtoP?

Jerry  w3cde

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 3:41 PM Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:
FTDX-101D Power Output Meter will show only 50W, and the Meter inline with the coax shows 108W in SSB mode.

After using 3 different output meters inline with the coax, I have found that the (FTDX-101D) Power Meter
shows only 1/2 for the actual power output that is shown on meters inline on the coax on SSB.

FTDX-101D Power Meter shows correctly on FT8/RTTY/FM (100W with Coax Meter showing 108W)
Anyone else notice this on SSB ?

Rig is less that 1 month old and all the firmware is the latest according to Yeasu W/S.

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Bob Bruns

Read the manual....

Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...>

Everything else shows Peak, where is this claim in the documentation ?

On 10/9/2021 12:44:09, G1OAR via groups.io wrote:
The meter in the radio is NOT a peak reading meter

On 9 Oct 2021, at 20:41, Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:

FTDX-101D Power Output Meter will show only 50W, and the Meter inline with the coax shows 108W in SSB mode.

After using 3 different output meters inline with the coax, I have found that the (FTDX-101D) Power Meter
shows only 1/2 for the actual power output that is shown on meters inline on the coax on SSB.

FTDX-101D Power Meter shows correctly on FT8/RTTY/FM (100W with Coax Meter showing 108W)
Anyone else notice this on SSB ?

Rig is less that 1 month old and all the firmware is the latest according to Yeasu W/S.

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...>

There is no choice on the ftdx-101d, everything else is all peak.

The ALC knows what the output power is why not the PO Meter ?

On 10/9/2021 13:45:31, Jerry Lofstead W3CDE wrote:
Average,  peak or PtoP?

Jerry  w3cde

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 3:41 PM Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:
FTDX-101D Power Output Meter will show only 50W, and the Meter inline with the coax shows 108W in SSB mode.

After using 3 different output meters inline with the coax, I have found that the (FTDX-101D) Power Meter
shows only 1/2 for the actual power output that is shown on meters inline on the coax on SSB.

FTDX-101D Power Meter shows correctly on FT8/RTTY/FM (100W with Coax Meter showing 108W)
Anyone else notice this on SSB ?

Rig is less that 1 month old and all the firmware is the latest according to Yeasu W/S.

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Doug Gerard

You’re not alone in your observation. SSB shows quite low on the meter, but the other modes are fine.

Bob Bruns

It's all in the manual....read it, it's fun. And please don't say the manual leaves out stuff because some of it you need to use brain cells to figure it out.

Could be a bad flash for instance.

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 5:41 PM Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:

Everything else shows Peak, where is this claim in the documentation ?

On 10/9/2021 12:44:09, G1OAR via groups.io wrote:
The meter in the radio is NOT a peak reading meter

On 9 Oct 2021, at 20:41, Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:

FTDX-101D Power Output Meter will show only 50W, and the Meter inline with the coax shows 108W in SSB mode.

After using 3 different output meters inline with the coax, I have found that the (FTDX-101D) Power Meter
shows only 1/2 for the actual power output that is shown on meters inline on the coax on SSB.

FTDX-101D Power Meter shows correctly on FT8/RTTY/FM (100W with Coax Meter showing 108W)
Anyone else notice this on SSB ?

Rig is less that 1 month old and all the firmware is the latest according to Yeasu W/S.

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...>

I have, all 116 pages, it shows "RF Power Out"

And I am not one of those that just will post a question
here and ask someone else to do my work for me
(like most ppl online), I have searched and found nothing
on this subject.

Pretty sad when you have to trust a cheap MFJ meter over
a radio with a 4K list price.

On 10/9/2021 13:46:45, Bob Bruns wrote:
Read the manual....

Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...>

It is about 1/2 exactly.

Since this is not a "real" meter but a graphical representation on
a LCD screen I can only think someone has made an error in the firmware calcs.

On 10/9/2021 15:48:44, Doug Gerard wrote:
You’re not alone in your observation. SSB shows quite low on the meter, but the other modes are fine.

Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...>

I have all 116 pages, even did a search in the PDF, if there is something in the manual
saying the SSB RF PO Meter shows something other than Peak, then quote me the page
as the search in the PDF shows nothing.

On 10/9/2021 15:48:54, Bob Bruns wrote:
[...]

ok well sell that radio and buy one you know how to use then is my only advice.

...and I am trying to be as nice as I can.

Bob W4THC

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 5:56 PM Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:
I have, all 116 pages, it shows "RF Power Out"

And I am not one of those that just will post a question
here and ask someone else to do my work for me
(like most ppl online), I have searched and found nothing
on this subject.

Pretty sad when you have to trust a cheap MFJ meter over
a radio with a 4K list price.

On 10/9/2021 13:46:45, Bob Bruns wrote:
Read the manual....

Barry D. Jacobson

Because the voice peaks are fast, it is possible the LCD display and associated firmware can't keep up.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 7:12 PM Jim - N7JVA via groups.io <jvanallen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
It is about 1/2 exactly.

Since this is not a "real" meter but a graphical representation on
a LCD screen I can only think someone has made an error in the firmware calcs.

On 10/9/2021 15:48:44, Doug Gerard wrote:
You’re not alone in your observation. SSB shows quite low on the meter, but the other modes are fine.

Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...>

"Read the Manual" is NO help, I know how to use the radio
if you can't offer a fix other than RTFB, maybe you shouldn't post.

And I was a Corporate Pilot flying Private Jets for 26 years and
I KNOW HOW TO READ MANUALS, and work radios.

On 10/9/2021 17:15:35, Bob Bruns wrote:
ok well sell that radio and buy one you know how to use then is my only advice.

...and I am trying to be as nice as I can.

Bob W4THC

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 5:56 PM Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:
I have, all 116 pages, it shows "RF Power Out"

And I am not one of those that just will post a question
here and ask someone else to do my work for me
(like most ppl online), I have searched and found nothing
on this subject.

Pretty sad when you have to trust a cheap MFJ meter over
a radio with a 4K list price.

On 10/9/2021 13:46:45, Bob Bruns wrote:
Read the manual....

Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...>

But if I yell/scream into the mic it still won't go above 50W on the Meter.

On 10/9/2021 17:20:23, Barry D. Jacobson wrote:
Because the voice peaks are fast, it is possible the LCD display and associated firmware can't keep up.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU
bdj@...
@bdj_phd

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 7:12 PM Jim - N7JVA via groups.io <jvanallen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
It is about 1/2 exactly.

Since this is not a "real" meter but a graphical representation on
a LCD screen I can only think someone has made an error in the firmware calcs.

On 10/9/2021 15:48:44, Doug Gerard wrote:
You’re not alone in your observation. SSB shows quite low on the meter, but the other modes are fine.

Barry D. Jacobson

I am also wondering if your mike gain, compression and AMC controls need to be adjusted. Is your power control or big outer ring all the way at max?

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 8:26 PM Jim - N7JVA via groups.io <jvanallen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
But if I yell/scream into the mic it still won't go above 50W on the Meter.

On 10/9/2021 17:20:23, Barry D. Jacobson wrote:
Because the voice peaks are fast, it is possible the LCD display and associated firmware can't keep up.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU
bdj@...
@bdj_phd

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 7:12 PM Jim - N7JVA via groups.io <jvanallen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
It is about 1/2 exactly.

Since this is not a "real" meter but a graphical representation on
a LCD screen I can only think someone has made an error in the firmware calcs.

On 10/9/2021 15:48:44, Doug Gerard wrote:
You’re not alone in your observation. SSB shows quite low on the meter, but the other modes are fine.

Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...>

The 3 external meters says it is putting out 108W

On 10/9/2021 17:46:16, Barry D. Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Bill Fultz

Hey guys, get a grip!! With all this great rig can do, what a nit picker! Firmware will probably fix this complaint down the road! There is no rig on the market that will give everyone everything on their wish for perfection…

On Saturday, October 9, 2021, 5:54 PM, Jim - N7JVA <jvanallen@...> wrote:

[...]

That is what I am hoping for.
I mainly bought it for was the DNR as there are many homes in this area
are growing pot indoors with big grow lights with RFI.

On 10/9/2021 18:16:28, Bill Fultz via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I beg to differ...all commercial grow lights are part 15 compliant. If you have swimming pools in your area go look there...