FTDX-101 MP and FPS101 power supply breakdown #ftdx101mp

Inigo EB2AQH

Dear all,
My FTDX-101 MP  purchased one year ago fails after pressing power on button.
https://youtu.be/UXVMhesvdzI

Seems to be a fault on the FPS101 power supply.
There is no service manual for the FPS101 nor schema so nothing can be checked from my side.
Really really frustrated to sent it back once again to official YAESU Technical Service (two times in one year).

73
EB2AQH - Inigo

Doug Gerard

Try a reset by holding down the fast and lock buttons and powering up at the same time. When you do this make sure you’re not connected to any software via the USB connection.

Doug
NP2GG

Rejean Leveille

Hi
The minimum will be to check the 48-50v and 12v output to confirm PS or the radio.

Rejean
va2am

Bob Bruns

My 1st 101MP took a power surge and I sent it in to see if it was repairable and talked to Tim Factor at Yaesu and asked him if the power supply was ok and he said it has to be connected to the radio to check the voltages. So not sure if the OP can check it. If someone knows how to check the voltages with out the radio please let me know. I do have the dead 101MP back and would like to know how. I use it for a sub speaker and have 2 speakers now.

Lou W7HV

The FPS101 does not put out 50V unless there is a draw on the 13.8V supply.  It doesn't take much, just a fraction of an amp on the 13.8V section to get the 50V to turn on.  This is probably a safety feature since 50V can shock.  It could also be that the rig doesn't like to see 50V unless it first sees 13.8V.  Exercise due caution.

The RX draws ~3.6A of 13.8V.

BILL KENNAMER

In case of a lightning hit, one of the first things I’d check would be the power supply, since there was likely to be a power line surge too.

On Tuesday, September 28, 2021, 11:56 AM, Lou W7HV via groups.io <louandzip@...> wrote:

The FPS101 does not put out 50V unless there is a draw on the 13.8V supply.  It doesn't take much, just a fraction of an amp on the 13.8V section to get the 50V to turn on.  This is probably a safety feature since 50V can shock.  It could also be that the rig doesn't like to see 50V unless it first sees 13.8V.  Exercise due caution.

The RX draws ~3.6A of 13.8V.

Bob Bruns

Well if the lightning/power surge took out the radio and burned up the boards inside then how will you check the power supply on the 101MP? Please enlighten me.

Lou W7HV

To check the FPS101 in isolation, I'd put ~ 25 ohm loads on the 13.8V and 50V outputs of the power supply and look at the output with a DVM and scope.  It should be nice clean DC.  Better would be to put loads more like experienced when operating, ~ 4 ohms on the 13.8V and 5 ohms on 50 V supply.   That would be about 3.5 A on the 13.8 and 10A on the 50V supply which is close to what the radio draws in TX.   Resistors would need to be appropriate for the power, but If you do the test quickly, you could get by with lower power resistors.  If that checks out, it'd be time for a more careful look at the radio.

Bob Bruns

I do not have access to the needed criteria so no go for me. I'm not going to plug this one in and just use it for a speaker...thank you for the reply/info Lou

BILL KENNAMER

Open the case and look. The black parts probably aren’t good anymore. I once had an automatic tuner located at the antenna. After the lightning hit, it wasn’t the tuner that was hurt, it was the control boxin the house.

On Tuesday, September 28, 2021, 4:31 PM, Bob Bruns <bobbruns@...> wrote:

Well if the lightning/power surge took out the radio and burned up the boards inside then how will you check the power supply on the 101MP? Please enlighten me.

Lou W7HV

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 04:02 PM, Adrian Fewster wrote:
Lou, Do you have a schematic of the interlock?

vk4tux

No. I don't know of any schematic out there for the FPS101 and I haven't looked at or traced any of the circuit.  What I've posted so far in this thread is pretty much all I know. I started looking at this because of the FPS power switch being on the back and there being no power indicator light on the PS, suggesting the intent was for it to be left on.  With the radio in RX, the PS draws ~0.6A at 120VAC = ~70W.  With the radio off, the PS draws 60mA 120VAC = ~7W, so from that perspective, leaving it on isn't unreasonable.  If the radio is to be run remotely via the SCU LAN10 and switched on/off, the PS would need to be left on.

I have a FT1000MP MkV which is also 200W and came with a dedicated switching power supply for 13.8 and 30V.  Yeasu provided the schematic for that PS along with those for the rig.

Damon - KJ7E

The 101mp power supply is made by Futaba, part number FP2650A.  Perhaps an email to Futaba to inquire about a replacement power supply as a module.

w3cde_1953

Best bet let your insurance company take care of it. State Farm just repla ed my FT500p. Cost me the dedu table and got FT 101MP.

W3CDE

Inigo EB2AQH

Damon,
thanks for your information. It's hard to find this spare part from Futaba in Internet, I will try to contact directly with this company.
Despite the radio has been sent to YAESU Technical service to be repair is a good idea to have a solution just in case the power supply fails.
Other option could be to provide Vcc from external source. 13,8 Volst - 8 Amps is not a problem but 50 Volts - 12 Amps is also difficult to find.
I have found an spare FPS101 (power supply + speaker) but the price is incledible high, 1.000 US $
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-cs2591704
I will keep the forum informed in advance.
73s
Inigo - EB2AQH

Jerry Lofstead W3CDE

Inigo,

I would send both units back to Yaesu and get a quote then make up your mind if it's worth fixing.  They will check and call you with info.
I just had a lightning strike here and took out my FTTDX5000MP.  Beyond repair here.  I got the FT101MP via insurance.

Jerry W3CDE  Atlanta, GA

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 9:48 AM Inigo EB2AQH <eb2aqh@...> wrote:

Damon,
thanks for your information. It's hard to find this spare part from Futaba in Internet, I will try to contact directly with this company.
Despite the radio has been sent to YAESU Technical service to be repair is a good idea to have a solution just in case the power supply fails.
Other option could be to provide Vcc from external source. 13,8 Volst - 8 Amps is not a problem but 50 Volts - 12 Amps is also difficult to find.
I have found an spare FPS101 (power supply + speaker) but the price is incledible high, 1.000 US $
I will keep the forum informed in advance.
73s
Inigo - EB2AQH

Inigo EB2AQH

Jerry,
Thaks for your encouragement. I think you're very lucky with your insurance company. My experience here in this kind of thing is not always the same.
The fault is not related with storms, sparks or over voltage.
Suddenly started to fail, that's all. I had connected at the same time two power supply,  a PC and another two radios in my shack without problems.
73s
Inigo - EB2AQH

Damon - KJ7E

At one point I was looking into using a pair of Astron LS-10 linear 24v 10amp power supply's for the 50v side and a third Astron for the 12v needs.  But the cost, size and effort was not worth it.

Lou W7HV

That's a thought that occurred to me too, stacking two 24V Astrons for 50V.  You can find plenty of 10+A 48-50V switchers, but I haven't come across any linear supplies.  Many use such switchers for the LDMOS amplifier projects, but IDK about HF RFI.

Inigo EB2AQH

Hi all,
Just now the radio has arrived repaired.
Only short repair report, seems to be fault on the PA and finals VRF 150 has ben changed. Why ? nobody knows.
I can confirm that I never overheated the radio in TX or transmited with hi SWR (despite the auto protection of temperature and SWR)
Power supply was OK.
Let's see if everything works OK.
It's a leason to learn in the MP version, cycling power on and off is not a power supply failure, its finals burn failure.
73s
Inigo - EB2AQH

ON4CT

Inigo

I hit the wrong buttom ., i cannot undo this ... i wanted to like your message     sorry.

Dirk