PROCESSOR on not really noticeable on air?


Chris Ellis
 

My 101D settings are Mic 36, AMC 55 and Proc/Comp 55.  I can hear little difference 
in recordings made via a second receiver when switching Proc on and off. Even with 
various settings of Comp level. On my Yaesu FT2000 Proc on/off is very noticeable.
Any thoughts?


Brian Smithson <brianesmithson@...>
 

Mine is very noticeable.

I suggest going back thru ALC readings to set mic gain, then adjust for processing. You can also fiddle with equalization, and that's very dependent on your voice. 

I too had a 2000 then a 5000 and now 101 and all 3 make a big difference with processing properly adjusted.

73

-Brian n8wrl

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 11:55 AM Chris Ellis <m5agg.chris@...> wrote:
My 101D settings are Mic 36, AMC 55 and Proc/Comp 55.  I can hear little difference 
in recordings made via a second receiver when switching Proc on and off. Even with 
various settings of Comp level. On my Yaesu FT2000 Proc on/off is very noticeable.
Any thoughts?


Chris Ellis
 

Brian thanks, I think the ALC setting is correct but I will have another run through another day. I spent today two tone testing, but I cannot see any difference on transmission
between comp/proc on or off, and audio recordings seem identical.
One thing, the processor seems to be switchable on or off, even when AMC is selected in the "Operation setting". However it is only adjustable when Comp is selected,
If a low value of comp is selected say 15,  when "Proc" is selected on the front panel the output drops.
Like a lot of owners and it has been said so often, the whole AMC, Proc and Mic settings are very difficult to understand. 
Two tone tests don't indicate any real difference either, unlike my FT2000. Maybe the whole process in the digital domain is so good the "processing" doesn't show 
any noticeable side affects?? I equalize the mic prior to the radio, regards Chris


Jason Ochodski K3MZM
 

I run AMC fairly tight at 38-40, PROCESSING around 80, and MIC gain anywhere from 25 up to 60. The compression really “does it’s thing” as you increase MIC gain.

It would be fun if a group of us could get together on the air to tweak and TX test audio.

73’s - Jason Ochodski K3MZM


Rejean Leveille
 

Hi
AMC will try to keep your ALC and processor in the range but this is possible you got at the first place too much microphone gain.
Like Brian wrote by returning with the normal PROC mode and to adjust your ALC for the mid blue range, then to turn ON your processor for 5-7% compression .
Now to return to AMC mode and to adjust the value from 100 down to X value until you will start to see a power decrease than to back up a little.
Easy to do by using a true RF power peak meter. You are not far from own AMC value at 60.
I get a clean audio report from other SDR screen receiver with my MP model.

73
Rejean  va2am


Brian Smithson <brianesmithson@...>
 

I hate to recommend yet-another-thing-to-buy, but I've had very good luck with this book:


Very clear (and correct) information on AMC vs. PROC. The manual is confusing and possibly outright wrong.

What we're seeing is an unfortunate consequence of trying to reduce the front-panel clutter of a very capable radio. Some controls serve multi-duty and have different meanings based on current operating conditions and menu settings. There is a menu setting that decides between AMC and PROC, for example. The mic-gain/proc knob does different things based on that, and on whether or not the processor is engaged. 

The book clears this up. And, there may be free you-tube vids available that do the same, I just don't have any experience with them.

Lastly, it really does help to have an on-air sked with someone who knows your voice to give you feedback on your audio quality. 

GL es 73!

-Brian n8wrl

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 2:11 PM Chris Ellis <m5agg.chris@...> wrote:
Brian thanks, I think the ALC setting is correct but I will have another run through another day. I spent today two tone testing, but I cannot see any difference on transmission
between comp/proc on or off, and audio recordings seem identical.
One thing, the processor seems to be switchable on or off, even when AMC is selected in the "Operation setting". However it is only adjustable when Comp is selected,
If a low value of comp is selected say 15,  when "Proc" is selected on the front panel the output drops.
Like a lot of owners and it has been said so often, the whole AMC, Proc and Mic settings are very difficult to understand. 
Two tone tests don't indicate any real difference either, unlike my FT2000. Maybe the whole process in the digital domain is so good the "processing" doesn't show 
any noticeable side affects?? I equalize the mic prior to the radio, regards Chris


Macy monkeys
 


In my second receiver recordings I find the proc injects an ever so slight amount of roughness on the transmit audio that I don’t care for. The speech processors on my Icom and Kenwood rigs increase talk power without the edginess I hear on my FTdx101D. Most, however, would not find the Yaesu proc objectionable IMHO. 

On Sep 24, 2021, at 11:11 AM, Chris Ellis <m5agg.chris@...> wrote:

Brian thanks, I think the ALC setting is correct but I will have another run through another day. I spent today two tone testing, but I cannot see any difference on transmission
between comp/proc on or off, and audio recordings seem identical.
One thing, the processor seems to be switchable on or off, even when AMC is selected in the "Operation setting". However it is only adjustable when Comp is selected,
If a low value of comp is selected say 15,  when "Proc" is selected on the front panel the output drops.
Like a lot of owners and it has been said so often, the whole AMC, Proc and Mic settings are very difficult to understand. 
Two tone tests don't indicate any real difference either, unlike my FT2000. Maybe the whole process in the digital domain is so good the "processing" doesn't show 
any noticeable side affects?? I equalize the mic prior to the radio, regards Chris


Chris Ellis
 

Thanks for all the informative replies! I do have a peak reading meter, an Array solutions Power master 2, which helped me set AMC to 60 (power does drop below 55/50).
Brian, the book you mention is already purchased but hidden until Christmas :) 
Macy monkeys, reply is possibly what I am hearing on a separate receiver, little difference apart from slight "roughness". Maybe I have it set up ok, the result just seemed
so different to the FT2000 which can sound very rough with too much Proc. I will do as suggested and do some QSO's with friends for some feedback, and try a remote SDR.
I have to admit, the rig has not been used much of late, despite having had it a while so I do need to play with it more. Ditch the dummy load  and enjoy the radio! best wishes, Chris


Brian Smithson <brianesmithson@...>
 

This is where the confusion sets in. My understanding is, the higher AMC is, the less it does. Lower AMC reduces mic gain.

Now 60 does sound high for mic gain. I have a heil pr781 and I think mic gain is around 50.

73

Brian n8wrl

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021, 5:06 PM Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...> wrote:
AMC at 60 is a bit high nearlng the splatter sone, No one here has mentioned the comp meter required for setting up proc 
with 10dB peak reading when done righr, Usually when amc 40 - 50 and mic gain 30 - 50 are correct, proc qill be around 70 - 80

vk4tux


k4cvl <mryan001@...>
 

Anyone in the group using an Proset with the HC-5 element that would care to share their settings?  - Mike

 

From: FTDX101D@groups.io [mailto:FTDX101D@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason Ochodski K3MZM
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2021 1:39 PM
To: FTDX101D@groups.io
Subject: Re: [FTDX101D] PROCESSOR on not really noticeable on air?

 

I run AMC fairly tight at 38-40, PROCESSING around 80, and MIC gain anywhere from 25 up to 60. The compression really “does it’s thing” as you increase MIC gain.

It would be fun if a group of us could get together on the air to tweak and TX test audio.

73’s - Jason Ochodski K3MZM


Gary Schwartz
 

IMHO well adjusted compression / processing is barely noticeable.  The AMC seems to be a good limiter.  A bit of compression brings up the average level.  You can see this with a good peak reading wattmeter. 

Gary
K3OS


Allan Falcoff
 

Anyone have a feel for how closely the internal monitor (using headphones) represents actually transmitted audio. I find the mic setup on this rig unnecessarily complicated, and the Yaesu manual sure doesn’t help. I don’t have access to a second receiver to hear myself; received audio reports are inconclusive.

I use a Heil HM-12.

K3YZ

Via AFF iPad


Carl Yaffey
 

Use an SDR on the web. You can save the audio to listen later,\.

Carl Yaffey  K8NU
614 268 6353, Columbus OH
http://www.carl-yaffey.com
http://www.bluesswing.com
http://www.timbrewolvesband.com
http://www.folkramblers.carl-yaffey.com
Http://www.clintonvillegrass.com

On Sep 26, 2021, at 9:42 AM, Allan Falcoff via groups.io <aff.k3yz@...> wrote:

Anyone have a feel for how closely the internal monitor (using headphones) represents actually transmitted audio. I find the mic setup on this rig unnecessarily complicated, and the Yaesu manual sure doesn’t help. I don’t have access to a second receiver to hear myself; received audio reports are inconclusive.

I use a Heil HM-12.

K3YZ

Via AFF iPad


Noel Gauntlett
 

 I find that listening to myself using a headset and the monitor function works well.   And yes the whole mike gain/amc thing is a big fail imo. 


On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 9:42 AM Allan Falcoff via groups.io <aff.k3yz=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone have a feel for how closely the internal monitor (using headphones) represents actually transmitted audio. I find the mic setup on this rig unnecessarily complicated, and the Yaesu manual sure doesn’t help. I don’t have access to a second receiver to hear myself; received audio reports are inconclusive.

I use a Heil HM-12.

K3YZ

Via AFF iPad


Bob Bruns
 

There is a learning curve but are you sure it isn't just not being familiar with the radio instead....People don't seem to RTFM.


Macy monkeys
 

It appears Yaesu failed to read it before it was published :)

On Sep 27, 2021, at 12:51 PM, Bob Bruns <bobbruns@...> wrote:

There is a learning curve but are you sure it isn't just not being familiar with the radio instead....People don't seem to RTFM.


Bob Bruns
 

Well that's why we can come to forums and the like for help. When I got my 1st 101MP there was no info anywhere yet so I had trial an error going on and no where to go. The manual helped me a lot so not sure why others have problems with it...


Macy monkeys
 


Most problems center around setting up the transmit correctly, i.e. AMC. In that area, the manual falls short. Otherwise I, too, find it a good read.

John K7FD

On Sep 27, 2021, at 1:41 PM, Bob Bruns <bobbruns@...> wrote:

Well that's why we can come to forums and the like for help. When I got my 1st 101MP there was no info anywhere yet so I had trial an error going on and no where to go. The manual helped me a lot so not sure why others have problems with it...


Bob Bruns
 

ya defaults don't work in some cases. I think it is to much radio for +/- 75% of the people that buy them.