INFO: Real power with 5w power knob?!? #power

Frank

HI All

How much is the effective output power (CW key down), for each band, when you set the POWER to minimum to 5W?

Which HIDDEN MENU command can you change it?

On my FTDX101MP if I put 5w I have a real output below 1W ... and changes from band to band, always around the watt, from 0.5W to 2W:

measured here in" CW KEYDOWN" on external wattmeter with 50cm of coax, on BIRD43, MT3000 and SPE1.5kFa Power meter, with always similar results.

Thanks info.
73

It is also fine with me because I have to drive the 1.5kFA with a few watts, but I wanted to know if others have also checked the actual power with the POWER button at minimum (5W)

Lou W7HV

I haven't systematically checked it, but on the bands I commonly use of late (40,30, 20,17m) I get ~5W minimum CW on my MP as measured by a good external 20 Watt full scale meter into a dummy.  Despite having an MP, I like to operate QRP so do turn it down to 5W with some regularity, and wouldn't mind if it would go lower.  I don't currently have access to the rig to check other the other bands.  The meter has been consistent across my many QRP rigs and in comparison to other meters.

Tom Lewis

I checked the lowest power out on CW on my FTdx101MP. The power meter is in my solid state linear amp.
The amp is in standby and it shows how much power the rig is putting out.
I checked 160, 20 and 6 meters. They all measured the same, 5 watts from the rig, the amp says 4 watts.

73 Tom N4TL

andy johnson

My FTDX101D on 5 watts shows 5 watts on my LP100A.

Ken - K4XL

My FTDX101MP shows 6 watts out on an LP-100 in CW.  However, if you want to run super low power...say 0.1 watt, you can do so on FT8 and FT4 by turning the AMC level down.  On my rig, with the AMC level set on 20 I get just a smidge over 1 watt out.  Just to prove the point, I just worked WY8F on 40.  His sig was +23 and my one watt sig was +02.
It's a shame that the power out on CW can't be reduced below 5 to 6 watts.
73,

--
Ken - K4XL
BoatAnchor Manual Archive

Damon - KJ7E

Yes, you can adjust the minimum power at 5 watts via the calibration menus.  Its calibrated per band at multiple power settings.  Check the Technical Supplement for the alignment procedures.  That said, 5 watts is very close to 5 watts, maybe overshoot to 6 watts on SSB.

Frank

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 04:04 PM, Ken - K4XL wrote:
ou can do so on FT8 and FT4 by turning the AMC level down
Hi Ken

i could bring it back to 5w minimum base .. I DON'T KNOW THE MENU NEEDED FOR THESE SETTINGS:
I don't know why mine goes ~<1w. Never used the HIDDEN MENU. I should look in the service manual how to do it.

However, there would still be the problem of having "minimum power" to drive a PA that needs a few watts ... or a transverter ...
Here we do not have the limits imposed by the FCC for PA gains on the power output and it may also suit me as with 2w I get 500w on the PA in LOW ...

Even for digital modes, it would be preferable to use the volume/slider on soft / pc:

==> have you already seen that when you lower ALC the COMP compression is raised to enormous levels?

IMAGE:

It is COMP METER problem on the FTDX101 FW, and it should be measured in a more "serious scope" than I did to check if it is just the fault of the "visual signal" or even of "COMP" that does not turn off ...
However the COMP reading, both ON and OFF, is not quite real.
With my all meters soft app (like PWR, SWR, COMP, ALC...) in realtime , it bothers me a lot to see the COMP going up when disabled, it feels like something is not right.

I could experience a slight distortion if I turn down ONLY AMC, so I use the software/pc slider that limits the input, it seems that leaves the audio signal more clean.

I hope they will fix those "big & small" things that a future FW, Yaesu could easily fix.
73

Frank
http://radioclub.no-ip.org/ftdx101

Ken - K4XL

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:01 AM Frank <hb9oab@...> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 04:04 PM, Ken - K4XL wrote:
ou can do so on FT8 and FT4 by turning the AMC level down
Hi Ken

i could bring it back to 5w minimum base .. I DON'T KNOW THE MENU NEEDED FOR THESE SETTINGS:
I don't know why mine goes ~<1w. Never used the HIDDEN MENU. I should look in the service manual how to do it.

No HIDDEN MENU!  For the example above on FT8, I invoked DATA-U instead of the normal USB and discovered that I could reduce the PO using the AMC level to less than the 5 watt normal limit.

Thinking outside the box?

73,

--
Ken - K4XL