Is it possible to get sound out of two externel speakers? #ftdx101mp

Harry-PA2HP

I have a FT101MP.
Also 1 SP-101 external speaker, so the FS 101 and an extra SP-101.
Is it possible to get the sound out of those 2 speakers from only the MAIN or the SUB?

Not the one or the other....

Brian Smithson

Not that I can see. I have a '5000 and the SM-5000 has two speakers that do exactly as you describe.

I spoke to Tim at Yaesu about it. He agrees it makes sense - the '9000 does it as well. He said he'd run it up the chain at Yaesu.

A friend suggests we might be able to do something complex with custom circuitry...

As a result I think the SP101 isn't as useful if you have an MP. If you get a D you definitely want the external speaker.

73!

-Brian n8wrl

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM Harry-PA2HP via groups.io <pa2hp=upcmail.nl@groups.io> wrote:
I have a FT101MP.
Also 1 SP-101 external speaker, so the FS 101 and an extra SP-101.
Is it possible to get the sound out of those 2 speakers from only the MAIN or the SUB?

Not the one or the other....

N7ZM

The audio quality in the MP supply box speaker is awful. Poor fidelity. I built a cable to remote supply under desk, ends are available at mouser. With speaker supply under desk and away I now can run my sounds sweet speaker on top of desk next to my MP. What was Yaesu thinking to mix the power supply in same cabinet together? Sound needs room to vibrate for good fidelity.
Ron N7ZM

Not that I can see. I have a '5000 and the SM-5000 has two speakers that do exactly as you describe.

I spoke to Tim at Yaesu about it. He agrees it makes sense - the '9000 does it as well. He said he'd run it up the chain at Yaesu.

A friend suggests we might be able to do something complex with custom circuitry...

As a result I think the SP101 isn't as useful if you have an MP. If you get a D you definitely want the external speaker.

73!

-Brian n8wrl

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM Harry-PA2HP via groups.io <pa2hp=upcmail.nl@groups.io> wrote:
I have a FT101MP.
Also 1 SP-101 external speaker, so the FS 101 and an extra SP-101.
Is it possible to get the sound out of those 2 speakers from only the MAIN or the SUB?

Not the one or the other....

Barry D. Jacobson

Amateurish solution, but why not try a signal splitting Y audio cable. May be able to drive two.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021, 3:16 PM Brian Smithson via groups.io <brianesmithson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Not that I can see. I have a '5000 and the SM-5000 has two speakers that do exactly as you describe.

I spoke to Tim at Yaesu about it. He agrees it makes sense - the '9000 does it as well. He said he'd run it up the chain at Yaesu.

A friend suggests we might be able to do something complex with custom circuitry...

As a result I think the SP101 isn't as useful if you have an MP. If you get a D you definitely want the external speaker.

73!

-Brian n8wrl

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM Harry-PA2HP via groups.io <pa2hp=upcmail.nl@groups.io> wrote:
I have a FT101MP.
Also 1 SP-101 external speaker, so the FS 101 and an extra SP-101.
Is it possible to get the sound out of those 2 speakers from only the MAIN or the SUB?

Not the one or the other....

Brian Smithson

That would certainly work Barry, but I know what the OP is after. When VFO-B is enabled, you want audio from each VFO coming out of each speaker (subject to the "mix" setting). If you just connected them both via a Y you wouldn't hear B at all. Note that you can also use the internal speaker for some of this if you only have one external speaker. And don't let the labelling of the external speakers confuse you - they're labelled A and B but that has nothing to do with the VFO's!

What would be cool, albeit very complex, is a circuit that was a "Y" unless the sub-VFO was being received, then it did the right thing with the separation. Unless there is some signal coming out of another jack on the back of the radio to tell you when B was being received you might need something with software that monitored CAT.

Or, Yaesu could do something if it's a firmware issue! I just don't think it is a high priority for them.

73

-Brian n8wrl

73

-Brian n8wrl

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 5:00 PM Barry D. Jacobson <bdj@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Brian, just checked manual. If one plugs into A jack, it is supposed to play Main and Sub through that jack. Why wouldn't a Y cable at A work for two speakers, each playing Main and Sub, assuming radio could drive them sufficiently?

Thanks,

Barry

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021, 5:54 PM Brian Smithson via groups.io <brianesmithson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

k4cvl

Why not a STEREO plug into that jack, then break off to the two speakers? - Mike

[...]

That’s if that plug is wired to accept that I suppose. - m

[...]

But the radio is capable of playing A and B on separate speakers. In fact there are several options to tailor the mixing - the manual does a good job of explaining it.

When working split I find it handy to listen to the DX on the left and the pileup from vfo B on the right.

73!

Brian n8wrl

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021, 9:31 PM Barry D. Jacobson <bdj@...> wrote:
[...]

You guys are way out of my operating league. I wish I could handle one VFO correctly.

Incidentally, in my opinion, the best you can do to improve your contesting score is to get that Extra license which gives you more bandwidth, and get the CW speed up so you can Run instead of Search and Pounce. Having a good radio helps, but operating skill is a big factor.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021, 10:03 PM Brian Smithson via groups.io <brianesmithson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I think it is only mono.I actually bought a mono to stereo plug so I can use a Yamaha amplified stereo computer speaker set. It works fine, but on transmit I get a bad buzz. It is either RFI or some kind of ground loop. I hadn't had time to diagnose, so stopped using for time being.

--
Barry Jacobson
WA2VIU

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021, 9:54 PM k4cvl via groups.io <mryan001=tampabay.rr.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Those amplified computer speakers are great for amplifying NOISE. I have the same issue when I run high power here. There is (or WAS) a company that sold these that were RFI proof. Not sure just what picks up the rf.  That’s a subject for another time. - Mike

[...]

F5PNI

Hi Harry,
This function is possible only with headphone connector in front
for speaker, see on page 16 of your user manual:

F5PNI

Or use AF out connector, with external combiner/amplifier and speakers.
You can select via this the two  one in each speaker, or the main or sub in the 2 speakers
Audio HIFI accessory

Lou W7HV

I'll mention that early FPS101 ps/spkrs had a hum/noise problem due to the audio phono jack sheild being connected to the FPS101 chassis.  Later FPS101 units used an isolated phono jack to cure that problem.  Mine has the latter.  Pic attached.

W0ARM - Alan

Edited

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 01:27 AM, F5PNI wrote:
Hi Harry,
This function is possible only with headphone connector in front
for speaker, see on page 16 of your user manual:
Page 16 depicts (and your illustration shows) the rear speaker connections, "EXT SPKR".  It is NOT showing the headphone connector.

Cheers,
~Alan
W0ARM

W0ARM - Alan

Edited

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 01:36 PM, Harry-PA2HP wrote:
I have a FT101MP.
Also 1 SP-101 external speaker, so the FS 101 and an extra SP-101.
Is it possible to get the sound out of those 2 speakers from only the MAIN or the SUB?

Not the one or the other....
A lot of convoluted answers here... or perhaps I missing something? If I understand the OP's question: He has two speakers, and wants each speaker to be dedicated to a VFO:  one speaker for MAIN, and one for SUB.  Correct?

The radio is set-up already for that. Using the two "EXT SPKR" jacks on the back of the radio, connect to each/both using a "mono" type 3.5mm, with each plug routed to a separate speaker (2 plugs, 2 speakers).  You will get the audio from the MAIN [only] in one speaker, and audio from the SUB [only] in the other speaker.  Simple...

This is clearly diagrammed in the manual.
When both outputs A & B are connected to  speakers, A & B will be dedicated to specific VFO's:

Good luck!
73,
~Alan W0ARM

Brian Smithson

Try this:

Plus stereo headphones into your radio and turn it on. make sure VFO-B is OFF. You hear A in both ears.

Now enable dual receive - touch the RX LED on the right for VFO-B. You hear both VFO's but they may be separated between your ears according to the menu item:

OPERATION SETTING ... GENERAL ... HEADPHONE MIX

see page 101.

If you have an external speaker you can accomplish the same thing using the ports as described on page 16:

Connect a single external speaker to port B and you get MAIN audio on that speaker and SUB audio on the internal speaker. Not sure if the MIX setting affects this.

If you have two external speakers...

Connect them to A and B ports and they'll combine/separate dual-receive audio according to the same HEADPHONE MIX menu setting. This I have tried and it works.

What the OP wanted to do was hear ONLY VFO A or ONLY VFO B in BOTH external speakers, which IS possible with a "Y" splitter connected to port B but he would defeat the feature of hearing dual-receive according to the HEADPHONE MIX menu setting.

I don't know how else to explain it. Hopefully I've helped...

73

-Brian n8wrl

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:14 AM W0ARM - Alan <W0ARM.mail@...> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 01:27 AM, F5PNI wrote:
Hi Harry,
This function is possible only with headphone connector in front
for speaker, see on page 16 of your user manual:
Page 16 depicts (and your illustration) show the rear speaker connections, "EXT SPKR"... it is NOT the headphone connector.

Cheers,
~Alan
W0ARM

F5PNI

Edited

Hi Alain,
I never said there is "headphone" connector on back.
Headphone connector is only on front of the transceiver.

W0ARM - Alan

Edited

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:02 AM, Brian Smithson wrote:

What the OP wanted to do was hear ONLY VFO A or ONLY VFO B in BOTH external speakers, which IS possible with a "Y" splitter connected to port B but he would defeat the feature of hearing dual-receive according to the HEADPHONE MIX menu setting.
I don't know how else to explain it. Hopefully I've helped...

73
-Brian n8rwl
Ahhh yes, clear as mud...  LOL!

Ok, so he wants [basically] a "stereo" output from either VFO A or VFO B (or both), but all the sound coming out of 2 speakers (left & right?), simultaneously...?  We'll call them "left" and "right" speakers.

Then, yes: a "Y_splitter" would be required, driving two speakers (left & right) from a single output channel (in effect).

If the Y-splitter were plugged into the "EXT SPKR A" jack, then whichever volume control was turned up (VFO A or VFO B) would get audio to both speakers (left & right).

The only issue may be with the paralleling of two speakers to one output.  This would reduce the total impedance the audio amp [output] would see.  However, if they are both 8-ohm speakers [in parallel], then 4-ohms would be presented to the audio amp, which is within specification with regard to the radio's manual (speaker impedance of 4-8 ohms).

Good luck!
~Alan
W0ARM