ftdx101 vs 7610

ON4CT

Hallo

Does someone has a link to a youtube movie about these two receivers in cw mode  while receiving low signals or  during a crowded band in cw ?

Or any other experiences of a happy one who ones these two transceivers ?

With thanks
Dirk
on4ct

Gary Schwartz

1.  Read my report and others  regarding using the 101 on Field Day. 
2.  Search this forum, the Facebook group, the Eham forum.

I mean no disrespect, but the same topics keep coming up and they have been covered.  

3.  Find hams in you area with the two radios and play with each for an hour or so.  You'll also meet some nice people in the process.  The choice of radios is personal and you'll have to live with something ou don't like.  It's just a matter of what compromises you are willing to accept.

Gary
K3OS

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 6/30/2021 3:18:57 AM
Subject: [FTDX101D] ftdx101 vs 7610

Hallo

Does someone has a link to a youtube movie about these two receivers in cw mode  while receiving low signals or  during a crowded band in cw ?

Or any other experiences of a happy one who ones these two transceivers ?

With thanks
Dirk
on4ct

ON4CT

Gary

Reading reports is fine, I think hearing radio s on youtube is better.

Dirk

Jaime Perez

Hello it depends of the local QRM you have, I have both FT101MP and IC7610 and in my QTH with my local QRM the 101 is far superior, I transmit most early mornings CW in the Low Bands but my Icom 7610 is terrible in RX thou quite good in everything else, so now at mornings I use the 101MP most, it had a very good receiver and use the 7610 for FT8 at 60M and 6m only.
Jaime, EA6NB.

Kees van Engelen

Dirk,

Agreed. reports can be personally biased. Youtube can be too, but there's more hands-on feeling watching that.

Curious if someone knows some.

ON9KVE
Kees

Ken - K4XL

Kees,
I would agree with Jaime.  I have both and prefer the 7610 for the same reasons as he does.  I also prefer the 7610 for the ease of connecting an SDR. However, when it comes to close in CW operation in a contest, I take the FTDX101 hands down.  The selectivity is excellent and the careful use of the shift and VC Tune functions put it over the top.  I can copy a weak CW signal between two strong signals with the Yaesu that the Icom can't.
I love them both, but if I could only keep one, it would be the Yaesu.  I used to think of myself as an Icom fan.  I've owned the IC756 Pro II, and still own an IC-7800 as well as the IC-7610 and I normally turned my nose up at Yaesu products.  I bought the FTDX101MP as a result of the data produced by Rob Sherwood and I am very glad that I did!  I've discovered that "brand loyalty" doesn't pay!
Ken - K4XL

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 8:02 AM Kees van Engelen <keesvanengelen@...> wrote:
Dirk,

Agreed. reports can be personally biased. Youtube can be too, but there's more hands-on feeling watching that.

ON9KVE
Kees

--
Ken - K4XL
BoatAnchor Manual Archive
BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com

Morgan Bailey

I have to echo the comments on being the best CW RX on the market. The selectivity for digging out the weak ones is hands down the best there is. VC tune is the best for noise reduction. As for SSB, I have never had a RX be able to narrow down to 1900 hz bandwidth and still have the station clear and able to be copied easily. No garbling.

73, Morgan NJ8M

BS + MS + $2.98 = COFFEE
Real Life Experience = Priceless, says the man who set his back yard on fire with a breadboard tuner loading a 160 meter inverted L with 1000 watts. LOL

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 8:45 AM Ken - K4XL <grimm@...> wrote:
Kees,
I would agree with Jaime.  I have both and prefer the 7610 for the same reasons as he does.  I also prefer the 7610 for the ease of connecting an SDR. However, when it comes to close in CW operation in a contest, I take the FTDX101 hands down.  The selectivity is excellent and the careful use of the shift and VC Tune functions put it over the top.  I can copy a weak CW signal between two strong signals with the Yaesu that the Icom can't.
I love them both, but if I could only keep one, it would be the Yaesu.  I used to think of myself as an Icom fan.  I've owned the IC756 Pro II, and still own an IC-7800 as well as the IC-7610 and I normally turned my nose up at Yaesu products.  I bought the FTDX101MP as a result of the data produced by Rob Sherwood and I am very glad that I did!  I've discovered that "brand loyalty" doesn't pay!
Ken - K4XL

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 8:02 AM Kees van Engelen <keesvanengelen@...> wrote:
Dirk,

ON9KVE
Kees

--
Ken - K4XL

DM4YY

Hello YL and OM, I can only report about SSB operation. I had from 2 friendly OMs a 7610 and a 101MP for 10 days to test. I have dealt very extensively with the devices, especially with the RX. Result : The receiver on the 101D is much better and the filters more effective. Thus a weak signal is much more understandable than with the 7610. Each device has its advantages and disadvantages. The microphone on the Yaesu is for the garbage. And the internet connection with the SCU Lan 10 is difficult and expensive. Who wants to use a transverter or wants to control it via internet is better with the 7610. I chose the 101D because of the very good RX. I have also made videos that I can send on request. The copyright is mine, therefore I forbid an unsolicited forwarding, forbidden to offer this on the Internet. 73 Michael DM4YY

Ludovic Ludo

Le 01/07/2021 à 16:37, Morgan Bailey a écrit :
VC tune is the best for noise reduction

It is a variable filter... It is a frequency preselector.
Obviously if you set it outside its range, it reduces noise ... and the rest too ...

;)

RTFM    ;)

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG

Lou W7HV

Yep.  The VCT is very misunderstood. 

Macy monkeys

Agree. I see this misrepresentation of VC tune quite often.

John K7FD

On Jul 1, 2021, at 7:44 AM, Ludovic Ludo <f5pbg@...> wrote:

Le 01/07/2021 à 16:37, Morgan Bailey a écrit :
VC tune is the best for noise reduction

It is a variable filter... It is a frequency preselector.
Obviously if you set it outside its range, it reduces noise ... and the rest too ...

;)

RTFM    ;)

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG

BILL KENNAMER

While true that the VCT is a preselector, tuning it away from the frequency slightly will in fact reduce noise levels. While it does decrease the signal as well, the improvement in S/N ratio makes it very effective on the low bands, especially when QRN is present. Doesn't make armchair copy in those conditions, but it does make any copy at all possible.

And yes, I know how it works and what it's supposed to do. This is just an added benefit.

K5FUV

Ludovic Ludo

Use a SDR key on the first IF and you will see the S/N ratio the same
(if there is no strong sigs outside the passband of the VCT of course...).
The VCT protects against out-of-band signals from the VCT.

What you see, you will also see with an attenuator in fact ...

;)

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG.

Le 01/07/2021 à 18:05, BILL KENNAMER a écrit :
While true that the VCT is a preselector, tuning it away from the frequency slightly will in fact reduce noise levels. While it does decrease the signal as well, the improvement in S/N ratio makes it very effective on the low bands, especially when QRN is present. Doesn't make armchair copy in those conditions, but it does make any copy at all possible.

And yes, I know how it works and what it's supposed to do. This is just an added benefit.

K5FUV

Tom K2GO

Try youtube under Bob Nagy AB5N...has shootout between the two.
Tom HP1XT

Ken - K4XL

If you watch the Bob Nagy Shootout, be sure and read the comments below the video.  He upgrades his opinion of 101 after using it a bit.
Ken - K4XL

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 12:46 PM <k2go@...> wrote:
Try youtube under Bob Nagy AB5N...has shootout between the two.
Tom HP1XT

--
Ken - K4XL

ON4CT

Ken

thanks for the usefull info.  I have seen the Shootout made by Bob  when I was on the market for a new toy.     During that time the 7610 had some quatlity problems with sreens and cooling fins coming loose.    The Kenwood ts890 was also on my list , but unavailable in EU due to delivery problems  , so Kenwood said .... .

Bobs  new opinion and the comments are indeed pointing out that the 101 shines on crowded bands.

dirk
on4ct

Maximo EA1DDO - M0HAO - HK1H

At the end... for serious contest, Dx and high performance, FT Dx-101 offers best receiver (and transmiter) on the market at this time.
For low/average demand radio, normal use, ragchewing, digitals, IC-7610 has more connectivity features, friendly menu, etc.

What type of radio you practice?

73, Maximo

De: FTDX101D@groups.io <FTDX101D@groups.io> en nombre de ON4CT <on4ct@...>
Enviado: viernes, 2 de julio de 2021 7:38
Para: FTDX101D@groups.io <FTDX101D@groups.io>
Asunto: Re: [FTDX101D] ftdx101 vs 7610

Ken

thanks for the usefull info.  I have seen the Shootout made by Bob  when I was on the market for a new toy.     During that time the 7610 had some quatlity problems with sreens and cooling fins coming loose.    The Kenwood ts890 was also on my list , but unavailable in EU due to delivery problems  , so Kenwood said .... .

Bobs  new opinion and the comments are indeed pointing out that the 101 shines on crowded bands.

dirk
on4ct

ON4CT

Maximo

Am a  dx er , and I run contests.   So digging in on crowded bands is important.

When I do run during a contest , with low power  , after a while you got squeezed  between strong stations .... so the Sherwood numbers are pointing me to a good receiver.

On my qrz page you can see my dx ing and contest adventures and results.

Dirk

BILL KENNAMER

If you’re a serious contestor, the FTDX101 is the best choice. I do suggest that you never use the “auto” setting for agc.

On Saturday, July 3, 2021, 2:49 AM, ON4CT <on4ct@...> wrote:

Maximo

Am a  dx er , and I run contests.   So digging in on crowded bands is important.

When I do run during a contest , with low power  , after a while you got squeezed  between strong stations .... so the Sherwood numbers are pointing me to a good receiver.

On my qrz page you can see my dx ing and contest adventures and results.

Dirk

Lou W7HV

FAST MID and SLOW AGC recovery times are settable per mode in the menus. AUTO AGC simply uses the SLOW recovery time you set for SSB.  AUTO uses the SLOW you set for AM.  In CW, AUTO uses the FAST recovery time you set in the the menu.  In each mode, you can still selected the others and each can be set for each mode.  AUTO does nothing else.