FTdx-101MP Impressions

Scott Ellington

Actually, I have a K4 on order, and will sell the FTdx-101MP if it ever shows up. Meanwhile, the primary radio remains the K3.

Scott K9MA

Adrian Fewster

Ok on that Doug , I thought they (K4) were being shipped out now..
I know I could be dead before I get a response from Scott to any of my questions.
Setting the max power has many benefits including stopping overshoot from just an adjustment level set only.

vk4tux

Doug Renwick

I could be dead long before a K4 would be delivered. Elecraft clearly 'overhung the market' on this rig.

Doug

Free Climbing - The ultimate test of strength and technique.

From: FTDX101D@groups.io [mailto:FTDX101D@groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Fewster
Sent: June-26-21 11:43 PM
To: FTDX101D@groups.io
Subject: Re: [FTDX101D] FTdx-101MP Impressions

Scott, I would trade in the FTDX101 and get an Elecraft K4 ? Even  though it only came in 13th on the Sherwood list, it
does everything you need for CW ?

vk4tux

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Lou W7HV

Yep. I'm not disagreeing, just suggesting a few things I found that work for me in helping ameliorate some of the shortcomings you mentioned.  You might consider joining the FTDX101 contesting group here:

https://groups.io/g/ftdx101contesting

Scott Ellington

I'm not sure why bandwidth would affect AGC operation. My issue is that I want the AGC response very flat, so I can hear the weak signals without punishing my ears on the strong ones. Yes, it makes it harder to distinguish the stronger ones in a pileup, so I have to ride the RF gain, but if it reduces hearing damage, it's a price I'm willing to pay. The option to set the AGC slope would accommodate various preferences.

I find even the slowest tuning rate for the MPVD is still way too fast for the rx clarifier. That slowest tuning rate is still 1.125 kHz per revolution. I'd prefer something more like 600. Part of the problem is that the ring is harder to manipulate than a small knob. For example, the small knob on the K3 goes about 500 Hz in one revolution, but it's very easy to control within 10 Hz, yet it's also easy to turn it half a revolution or so. An, no, I don't want to assign the MULTI knob to the clarifier; I need that for power output control.

I overlooked the BAND STACK, so that one is operator error, and I'll take it off the list.

I do have the latest firmware. To their credit, Yaesu did eliminate the faster rise time options, which only lead to key clicks.

Some of these limitations, like the fan cycling, the FTdx-101MP shares with the FT-1000D it replaced. Thankfully, key clicks is not one of them.

Scott K9MA

Lou W7HV

Yep. I'm essentially CW only and I've accumulated a list with 28 entries.

3. AGC.  I find it works better the narrower the WIDTH.  Of course you may not want a narrower WIDTH.

4. Agree. In addition to FUNC/OPERATION SETTINGS/TUNING, DIAL STEP equal 5Hz  you can set  MAIN STEPS and MPVD STEPS per rev to 250.  That provides the slowest tuning rate.

5. Yes. When you change bands, the MODE (incl side band) goes to what was in the BAND STACK memory for that band. There are three BAND STACK MEMORies per band (for both MAIN and SUB), and each of the three can have different modes.  They remember what they last were.

I suggest checking that you're on the 202105 software rev and set CW WAVE SHAPE to 8msec.  In the recent FW releases, Yaesu did make changes in response to customer input, but only a small fraction of those requested. 

Scott Ellington

I've only had the radio a week or so, but I'm disappointed in it in may respects. Now, I'm a CW contester, and I'm fussy, so many others will probably not mind what I see as shortcomings. On the other hand, a lot of these issues would concern any serious CW contester. There's no question that the basic performance of the radio, like receiver dynamic range and transmitter IMD, is excellent.

Here's my list:

1. Very loud relays in QSK with separate rx antenna (much quieter with common tx/rx antenna)

2. Lack of per band power setting memory

3. AGC allows too much audio variation, no setting (this is strictly a personal preference)

4. Clarifier with ring control far too sensitive, even with 5 Hz steps

5. Sideband changes when changing bands (?)

6. Panadapter lacks averaging mode option

7. Fan cycles rapidly in rx mode (better to run continuously at low speed)

8. No electret microphone bias setting (wiring required)

9. Roofing filters do not automatically switch when bandwidth is changed

10. Output power still overshoots about 25 percent at 30 W (latest firmware)

All of these, except the microphone bias, could be fixed in firmware. And the microphone bias is no big deal, as a resistor and capacitor on the mike connector takes care of it. Some of the others, like the clacking relays, I can probably fix temporarily with minor hardware modifications.

It would be nice if Yaesu DID listen to it's customers, or even paid attention to what one of its competitors has done.

Scott K9MA