Main SDR update failure #update

Paul - W1PR

I delayed attempting to update the firmware for my '101D after reading about problems with it, until the 5/14 version went on line and the comments indicated that it addressed problems with earlier iterations. Except for me. I followed downloading and unzipping directions and went through the routine of installing. But, strangely, I get an error message that MAIN SDR v02-06 fails to install, while SUB SDR v02-06 finishes successfully. Then an error message shows up, informing me that an update error occurred, and "the system will reboot - OK? - DON"T TURN OFF YOUR RADIO." "OK" is in a box that looks like it wants to be clicked or pressed. But nothing happens.  The radio doesn't reboot, instead it freezes. No response to touching or clicking on OK. No response to anything, including the power button. After waiting several minutes for the freeze to melt, I took a deep breath and killed the 12 v DC power. Then with power restored the radio boots up and plays normally, I think. The "soft" menu indicates that I'm running MAIN SDR v02-03, but SUB SDR is v02-06. I've downloaded the new FW again and attempted update again but get the same outcome.
   Why would the SUB update normally but not the MAIN? Is there a remedy?
   If this has already been addressed, please excuse me. I looked through the group's messages but couldn't find it.
   TNX.
--
73 de Paul - W1PR

ray sylvester nr1r

did you format the sd card using the radio?

Paul - W1PR

OK, I started from scratch. Cut to the chase: no difference. Still fails.

Details: (Re)-formatted SD card in radio.
On computer (Win 10) (re)downloaded FW Update 5/14/21; extracted with 7-Zip.
Copied extracted files to SD card in its main directory.
Turned radio off using power switch. Removed 12v DC. Inserted SD card. Turned radio on. Func key->Extension setting->SD card->Firmware update. Displayed files on SD card ONLY MAIN SDR V02.06 IS CHECKED.   ->Update->OK. Progress indicator lights up on MAIN SDR line but barely moves before UPDATE ERROR SYSTEM WILL REBOOT/OK box displays. As before, no response to touch screen or mouse or any front panel control including power button. Radio does NOT reboot.
Kill DC; power on; back where we started.
So I'm pretty sure I have followed everything to the letter.

I'm starting to regret having sold my FT-950. HELP!

--
73 de Paul - W1PR

nikkarkav

I did mine an hour ago and everything did write. I did the reset that the update says and all ok
Nick SV3BSF

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 7:33 PM Paul - W1PR <w1pr@...> wrote:
[...]

Lou W7HV

There needs to be a FTX101 directory in the root of your SD card and the update files must be in that directory.

FTDX101
  FTDX101_AFDSP_V0100.SFL
  FTDX101_DISPLAY_V0108.SFL
  FTDX101_IFDSP_V0107.SFL
  FTDX101_MAIN_V0122.SFL
  FTDX101_SDR_V0206.SFL

Paul - W1PR

Right, Lou. Exactly what I've got. That's my problem.
My SD directory:

--
73 de Paul - W1PR

WF3T

Paul , 2 things to try. Stabs in the dark but since nothing else has worked : try a different SD card first.  Save your current configs, then check all the boxes and have it reinstall everything. That's the way I did it and no problem at all. And it set everything the way I had it, I didn't have to change anything.

Good luck,
Steve, WF3T

Lou W7HV

Yep.  That looks right.  Try some of the other suggestions, like a different SD card, but at some point, if you haven't yet,  you my try a factory reset.  Hold the FAST and LOCK buttons on power up.  That'll reset everything.  Save your MEM LIST and MENU settings first. MEM LIST seems to save everything, including MENU settings.

Carl Yaffey

I had to use a different SD card as I kept getting a message saying was locked. It wasn’t.

Carl Yaffey  K8NU
614 268 6353, Columbus OH
http://www.carl-yaffey.com
http://www.bluesswing.com
http://www.timbrewolves.carl-yaffey.com
http://www.folkramblers.carl-yaffey.com
Http:www.clintonvillegrass.com

On May 15, 2021, at 3:44 PM, Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...> wrote:

I saw an operator in Europe had rhe same issue, and it had to go  back to Yaesu to rectify. It could be a bad SD card, I suggested trying a new SD card previously here. Otherwise  I would organise a return.

Vk4tux

On Sun, 16 May 2021, 5:38 am WF3T, <wf3t@...> wrote:
Paul , 2 things to try. Stabs in the dark but since nothing else has worked : try a different SD card first.  Save your current configs, then check all the boxes and have it reinstall everything. That's the way I did it and no problem at all. And it set everything the way I had it, I didn't have to change anything.

Good luck,
Steve, WF3T

Fred Firing

if you have the usb connected to the radio pull the usb out of the radio and try it agn.!!!!

ray sylvester nr1r

scan disk ultra 32gb class 10 works available at staples

N7ZM

I agree with Ray my 32 Gig ultra Sandisk works 100% and I bought mine at Walmart.

Sent from my Galaxy

Paul - W1PR

Still no success.
I have tried it all: new SanDisk SD card, reset radio, pull USB and RS232 cables. Pictures are not in correct order but you get the idea.

It looks like I'll be talking to our friends at Yaesu on Monday.
Thanks to all who offered support.
--
73 de Paul - W1PR

ray sylvester nr1r

unplug the mouse and usb cable  and try again

Paul Bigwood

Paul,

Have you got an old style SDHC card?

These are the ones that are up to about 4GB. I’ve had trouble in the past with big capacity micro SD cards with adaptors, but found an old card 2GB and used that for firmware updates and not had a problem.

Format on the radio and try loading the SDR firmware update only.

73 Paul G3WYW

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 11:31 PM, Paul - W1PR wrote:

Still no success.
I have tried it all: new SanDisk SD card, reset radio, pull USB and RS232 cables. Pictures are not in correct order but you get the idea.

It looks like I'll be talking to our friends at Yaesu on Monday.
Thanks to all who offered support.
--
73 de Paul - W1PR

Lou W7HV

Yeah.  I don't think it benefits from high capacity or fast SD cards. I've been using a couple of 12 year old 2GB uSD cards I had lying around and they've worked every time.

BILL KENNAMER

When all else fails, use WinZip to unpack the files. I’ve found that the radio won’t read files unpacked in Windoze 10.

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 02:52 PM, BILL KENNAMER wrote:
When all else fails, use WinZip to unpack the files. I’ve found that the radio won’t read files unpacked in Windoze 10.

K5FUV

Def worth a try, but Win10 unzip has worked every time for me so far.  I unzip into a directory on my computer then copy the results to the SD card.

N7ZM

Bill, in every F/W update for my 101MP I have used Win 10 to unzip the files and they all worked FB.
Ron n7zm

Sent from my Galaxy

When all else fails, use WinZip to unpack the files. I’ve found that the radio won’t read files unpacked in Windoze 10.

K5FUV

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, May 17, 2021, 4:52 AM, Paul Bigwood <paul@...> wrote:

Paul,

Have you got an old style SDHC card?

These are the ones that are up to about 4GB. I’ve had trouble in the past with big capacity micro SD cards with adaptors, but found an old card 2GB and used that for firmware updates and not had a problem.

Format on the radio and try loading the SDR firmware update only.

73 Paul G3WYW

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 11:31 PM, Paul - W1PR wrote:

Still no success.
I have tried it all: new SanDisk SD card, reset radio, pull USB and RS232 cables. Pictures are not in correct order but you get the idea.

It looks like I'll be talking to our friends at Yaesu on Monday.
Thanks to all who offered support.
--
73 de Paul - W1PR

Adrian Fewster

Same here, many get caught out with using the content from the preview window before doing the final extraction,

or extract creating another subfolder or direct to top level causing a path error, when using W10 built in zip, which I think works fine,

when used properly.

vk4tux