Yaesu XF-128SN SSB filter

DM4YY

Hello YL s and OM s, my question is if someone has the Yaesu XF-128SN SSB filter installed in his Yaesu 101 D / MP transceiver and can share experience report, whether this filter brings what or the purchase would be just a waste of money.

Best 73 Michael

Ludovic Ludo

Le 25/04/2021 à 22:37, DM4YY@... a écrit :
my question is if someone has the Yaesu XF-128SN SSB filter installed in his Yaesu 101 D / MP transceiver and can share experience report, whether this filter brings what or the purchase would be just a waste of money

You will increase the resistance of strong sigs in particular condition (contest / pile up).
If you never have problem when there is strong sigs (in the case of classical antenna
no very efficient) so no need to buy.

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG.
https://twitter.com/f5pbg

Lou W7HV

You can get good idea of what it will sound like by selecting the 3kHz filter and turning the WIDTH control to 1200 Hz.   That sets the width if the IF DSP filter at 1200 which has steeper skirts that the roofing filter so determines the width that you hear.  What the 1.2 kHz roofing filter will do is increase ultimate rejection of very big adjacent signals that would intrude between the skirts of the 3kHz filter and the 1.2kHz IF DSP filter.   On these rigs, when you select a roofing filter, the IF DSP filter is by default set to the same width.  For example, select the 3kHz filter, listen for a bit, then turn the WIDTH knob to 4kHz. You'll hear the bandwidth open up somewhat due the less steep skirts of the roofing filter.

33 73s

Hell Michael,

It is strange that this very basic filter is specified at 1.2KHz from BP ...
I had bought one that I had measured and of course opened to find out ...
Nb. When using this filter, the SSB remains perfectly audible ... you will only need to play with the bandwidth in the processing.
In some cases this 1.2K filter might help a bit.

For optimum results, it is in my opinion preferable to have real steep-sided filters carried out by a serious manufacturer in the useful bandwidths!
This would further improve the performance of your 101 during big contests with overlapping muscular signals.
(Shame that our current manufacturers for OM transceivers do not produce any to my knowledge ...).

If you do not used your 101D in big contests, with big antennas on a busy site multibands, etc ..., even a 101D well exploited in its basic version (without 1K2), will already offer you excellent performances.

73s Sylvain f6cis