CWDecode #PA7RA

Rien Aarden

Hey,
I now have the Yaesu 1010MP at home for 4 weeks and I think it is a great machine.
Similarly, the possibility of decoding CW I think this works well
I take most of it by ear but sometimes I miss something and then it is nicely on the screen!

What I do wonder is that if you do cw with the paddle, it is possible that the text that you sign yourself will also appear on the screen.
What I regret is that as soon as you start signaling that the received text is deleted.
Personally, I prefer it if that text remains
And maybe it's a setting but the entire display blinks every time you go from RX to TX and back to RX
But maybe someone has the solution for this?
These are very minor annoyances hihi
otherwise a great device
And I am lucky that my good friend (Herman) PA9CC has had this set for 6 months and knows a lot about it so that I regularly call him with a lot of questions.
--
73' Rien PA7RA

Paul - W1PR

I must say that I am very disappointed with the CW decode function of my '101D. I try to adjust the CW speed to match the signal(per the manual) but my ear-brain combination is a much better decoder.
I don't think I have ever seen a decent CW decoder but I was hoping for something better than this. Others at least can auto-adjust to speed. This is really my only gripe about the radio. Otherwise, I love it.
--
73 de Paul - W1PR

Pascal

Hello,

I have the same impression, CW decoding is not very well implemented yet.
There is also no way of keying CW from an attached keyboard, something I would like to see as I am actually learning howto CW.

Some days ago I was sitting behind a TS-890S, and CW decoding was far more accurate, especially with weaker signals. Also keying from an USB keyboard was working like a charm.

I have the impression that the decode level function isn't doing much, setting it to 0 or 100 makes no difference, what are your experiences with the level settings please?

Best 73,
Pascal Belgium

Jr Williams

My 101 MP decodes ARRL Transmissions perfectly..KO4OO..JR

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020, 6:24 PM Pascal <pascal.ge.mestdagh@...> wrote:
Hello,

I have the same impression, CW decoding is not very well implemented yet.
There is also no way of keying CW from an attached keyboard, something I would like to see as I am actually learning howto CW.

Some days ago I was sitting behind a TS-890S, and CW decoding was far more accurate, especially with weaker signals. Also keying from an USB keyboard was working like a charm.

I have the impression that the decode level function isn't doing much, setting it to 0 or 100 makes no difference, what are your experiences with the level settings please?

Best 73,
Pascal Belgium

Macy monkeys

I should hope so.

John K7FD

On Mar 16, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Jr Williams <ko4oojr@...> wrote:

My 101 MP decodes ARRL Transmissions perfectly..KO4OO..JR

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020, 6:24 PM Pascal <pascal.ge.mestdagh@...> wrote:
Hello,

I have the same impression, CW decoding is not very well implemented yet.
There is also no way of keying CW from an attached keyboard, something I would like to see as I am actually learning howto CW.

Some days ago I was sitting behind a TS-890S, and CW decoding was far more accurate, especially with weaker signals. Also keying from an USB keyboard was working like a charm.

I have the impression that the decode level function isn't doing much, setting it to 0 or 100 makes no difference, what are your experiences with the level settings please?

Best 73,
Pascal Belgium

Richards

   . . . What I regret is that as soon as you start signaling that the received text is deleted. . . .
Some guys would complain if you hang them with a new rope!        ;-)

But seriously folks, what does one do without a screen reader?   While the rig provides near real time confirmation of what we are doing in our heads or mirrors the notes we are writing on paper - but it seems a bad idea to rely on the rig to the take notes.   This is a real concern.   I was taught the best ops translate in their heads or take just a few notes on paper - that is, beyond specific name, rank, serial number,  location, and etc., otherwise just record the gist of what the message whenever possible.   I wonder whether long term reliance on the rig's decoder MIGHT make one dependent on it, which would erode one's basic skill as a CW operator.   I concede the rig's display can clarify or verify what we think we heard, but clearing the screen upon the next transmission should not be a problem, as one is expected to have figured out the message by other means.

This is a serious comment and I am not trolling for an argument.    I suspect reliance screen the radio's screen reader to confirm the message is the sort of crutch we are told to avoid when learning the Code,  and one could get spoiled and, over time, come to rely on the screen reader to do the heavy lifting, rather than clarify and conform we do on our own.

Just tossing it out for consideration.     Happy trails.    K8JHR

Eric

Edited

Well, in my amateur and professional opinion the CW Decoder gets a rating of 'pretty crap'. Fire up any of the free CW decode software and run side by side and you'll see.

K8JHR.... I agree with your opinion. If you don't want to learn the code to a high standard then use a 'decode crutch'. Personally I decode in my head and make notes. BUT..... I do run a decoder in the background that captures the whole conversation (to look at afterwards). I can then use this as a reference and also see if I missed anything. I think that some new learners and slower speed operators believe they are failing if they are not getting everything. It's just like learning any language, you just need to get a gist of what is being said, not get every single word, dit and dah. Just keep pushing yourself on speed until you get to where you want to be. I can operate at 40wpm, but I'll still lose track and miss stuff at times, especially if my mind drifts or I'm listening to German morse which has a ton of E's I's S's etc. It's really easy to say....  "oh sod it and look at the decode" ....discipline yourself.

An interesting story to support my point. When I was training in the RAF I had to learn to touch type perfectly at 50wpm. If you got caught looking at the keyboard they would place a metal box over it so you couldn't see it. Then we progressed to keyboards with nothing written on the keys. The very act of glancing at the keyboard slowed you down considerably and greatly slowed down any progress.

Of course, I respect those that just don't want to learn CW and decode it as just another digital mode like RTTY and that's fine. Radio is a different kind of fun to every individual,,, just make sure you're having fun with your radio  :-)

Hope that helps someone.....  :-)

Eric - G4VZZ

Andy

Hi Eric,

Ex-TG11? I trained as TG11 and moved to TG3. Out 20 years now and lovin it😉
Cheers
Andy EI2HWB

Eric

I was a TCO, then SpecTel, then went to work in 'Civvy street' for GCHQ / MI5. Loved it....  Still love it as a hobby, but I can't do the stuff I could in the job.... not Licenced to Kill anymore  :-)

Luc Clarijs

hello,
the received CW text will not be deleted if you set both displays for main and sub receiver into CENTER . (not into FIX or other settings)
all other settings let disappear the received CW text if you start transmit.
try these settings
73' Luc ON7KZ