60 meters

N7ZM

I never operated 60 meters before ( 5.3 MHZ ). Today on the cluster I saw a DX station so thought I would try it on my MP. I looked and yes 5357 was one of the 5 channels we can operate on at 100 watts PEP. I went there and my MP would not transmit to my surprise. Before you ask, yes it was on the 5.0 band. What am I missing or overlooking? Might be time to call Tim Factor on this????
         Ron N7ZM

WW1SS. . . Steve

What was you tx bandwith set at . . . There is a limit for that

Have a Great Day
73 . . . WW1SS Radio

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 2/25/2020 6:22:58 PM
Subject: [FTDX101D] 60 meters

I never operated 60 meters before ( 5.3 MHZ ). Today on the cluster I saw a DX station so thought I would try it on my MP. I looked and yes 5357 was one of the 5 channels we can operate on at 100 watts PEP. I went there and my MP would not transmit to my surprise. Before you ask, yes it was on the 5.0 band. What am I missing or overlooking? Might be time to call Tim Factor on this????
         Ron N7ZM

WW1SS. . . Steve

I have not operated there but I believe tx bandwith is 2,8k

W0ARM - Alan

Hi Ron,

This topic has been discussed here before, but I will enlighten you.

60m can ONLY be accessed through the memory channels.  Selecting the "5.0" band button may take you to the 60m band, and even if you dial up the appropriate frequency, you will not be able to transmit.

Here's how to get to the 60m preset frequencies:

With radio ON, press the "V>M" button to access the channel memory.
Using the MULTI knob, scroll the list down to the end of the list.
The last 10 channel spaces are pre-programmed for 60m operating frequencies.  They are numbered 5-01 thru 5-10,  with 01 thru 05 for USB, and 06 thru 10 for CW.
Select the channel you wish to operate on, and press the MULTI knob to select/load the channel into the VFO.
Now your set to operate on 60m.

Hope that helps.

73's,
Alan
KV6ARM

k4cvl

Alan, Have you noticed what MODE you are in when you choose one of the 60m memories?  I wonder if you are able to CHANGE the operating mode once in a memory channel on 60?  -Mike

From: FTDX101D@groups.io [mailto:FTDX101D@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan M.
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:41 PM
To: FTDX101D@groups.io
Subject: Re: [FTDX101D] 60 meters

Hi Ron,

This topic has been discussed here before, but I will enlighten you.

60m can ONLY be accessed through the memory channels.  Selecting the "5.0" band button may take you to the 60m band, and even if you dial up the appropriate frequency, you will not be able to transmit.

Here's how to get to the 60m preset frequencies:

With radio ON, press the "V>M" button to access the channel memory.
Using the MULTI knob, scroll the list down to the end of the list.
The last 10 channel spaces are pre-programmed for 60m operating frequencies.  They are numbered 5-01 thru 5-10,  with 01 thru 05 for USB, and 06 thru 10 for CW.
Select the channel you wish to operate on, and press the MULTI knob to select/load the channel into the VFO.
Now your set to operate on 60m.

Hope that helps.

73's,
Alan
KV6ARM

k4cvl

From the ARRL Website…no telling if it is up-to-date.  – Mike

Amateurs are permitted to operate on five frequency channels, each having an effective bandwidth of 2.8 kHz.

Table 1:
Channel 1: 5330.5 kHz
Channel 2: 5346.5 kHz
Channel 3: 5357.0 kHz
Channel 4: 5371.5 kHz
Channel 5: 5403.5 kHz

From: FTDX101D@groups.io [mailto:FTDX101D@groups.io] On Behalf Of WW1SS . . . Steve via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:29 PM

I have not operated there but I believe tx bandwith is 2,8k

k4cvl

As discussed earlier, you have to use one of the radio’s memory channels. ( In this case #3)  The CENTER freq of that channel is what your radio will indicate though you WILL transmit on 5357.0. The center freq (that indicated in the memory channel #3) is 5358.5…a little confusing at first. The radio is also in the UPPERSIDEBAND mode which is the proper sideband mode allowed on 60m.

You may still simply dial up the freq without going to memory mode of 5357…you just cannot transmit via that method.  It is an interesting band…not too many amps work there yet so it’s great..a more level playing field at least for a while.  I have worked a few countries split such as New Zealand where they are only allowed 10w output.  France just got privleges and their ops are allowed 15 watts.  Not all countries have the same freq allocations as we do in the US.  Makes it all that more interesting.  I have 115 countries confirmed via LOTW on that band to date with more worked that have not reported.

–Mike, K4CVL

From: FTDX101D@groups.io [mailto:FTDX101D@groups.io] On Behalf Of WW1SS . . . Steve via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:25 PM

What was you tx bandwith set at . . . There is a limit for that

Have a Great Day

73 . . . WW1SS Radio

------ Original Message ------

Sent: 2/25/2020 6:22:58 PM

Subject: [FTDX101D] 60 meters

Ron N7ZM

W0ARM - Alan

Edited

CORRECTION:

On the 101, the 60m band operating parameters are set, and cannot be "adjusted".  The two options are: USB or CW-U on each of the five allocated frequency "channels".

The last ten FTDx memory locations are the 60m "channels: The first group of five (5-01 to 5-05) are set and correctly configured for USB on the five operating channel/frequencies, and the last group of five (5-06 to 5-10) are configured for operating CW-upper, i.e. location 5-01 is 5332.0, USB mode; location 5-06 is ALSO 5332.0, but CW mode. 

It is unfortunate, but it does not appear that you can run any digital modes on 60m with FTDx10, only USB and CW-U (even thought digital modes are permitted under current FCC rules). I guess Yaesu missed the memo on that!

73's,
~Alan
KV6ARM

k4cvl

The Japanese designers are a little behind the times it would appear.  Then again, after the warranty period you can simple perform a MARS mod and operate the radio as you see fit.  Thanks for the research Alan.  - Mike

Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 11:27 PM

[Edited Message Follows]

CORRECTION:

On the 101, the 60m band operating parameters are set, and cannot be "adjusted".  The two options are: USB or CW-U on each of the five allocated frequency "channels".

The last ten FTDx memory locations are the 60m "channels: The first group of five (5-01 to 5-05) are set and correctly configured for USB on the five operating channel/frequencies, and the last group of five (5-06 to 5-10) are configured for operating CW-upper, i.e. location 5-01 is 5332.0, USB mode; location 5-06 is ALSO 5332.0, but CW mode. 

It is unfortunate, but it does not appear that you can run any digital modes on 60m with FTDx10, only USB and CW-U (even thought digital modes are permitted under current FCC rules). I guess Yaesu missed the memo on that!

73's,
~Alan
KV6ARM

W0ARM - Alan

Yep, I think you are correct.  You'd think they would hire some "foreign" (i.e., non-Japanese) consultants to advise them when they're designing (or finalizing) a new radio.

I like the MARS idea, and I had considered doing now, but I think I'll wait 'till the warranty is up! (just in case...) HiHi

73's,
Alan
KV6ARM

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 9:33 PM k4cvl <mryan001@...> wrote:

The Japanese designers are a little behind the times it would appear.  Then again, after the warranty period you can simple perform a MARS mod and operate the radio as you see fit.  Thanks for the research Alan.  - Mike

Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 11:27 PM

[Edited Message Follows]

CORRECTION:

73's,
~Alan
KV6ARM

dl5ocd@...

Simply look at the files section, look for the document of G4IRN. No mars mod needed...

Michael

Daniel W9DGI

What/where is Yaesu's Region C3? That is (as an example) -- would shifting a radio sold in IARU Region 2 to Yaesu's Region C3 REMOVE any frequencies authorized in some regions but not all, such as 1.8 - 1.81 MHz, 3.8 - 4.0 MHz, or 7.2 - 7.3 MHz?

When I had an FT-1000MP Mk 5 it was possible to use a sequence of buttons to re-set the radio to various regions' band plans, including enabling general-coverage transmit from 0.5 - 30 MHz.

Daniel W9DGI

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 05:22 PM, Daniel W9DGI wrote:
What/where is Yaesu's Region C3? That is (as an example) -- would shifting a radio sold in IARU Region 2 to Yaesu's Region C3 REMOVE any frequencies authorized in some regions but not all, such as 1.8 - 1.81 MHz, 3.8 - 4.0 MHz, or 7.2 - 7.3 MHz?

When I had an FT-1000MP Mk 5 it was possible to use a sequence of buttons to re-set the radio to various regions' band plans, including enabling general-coverage transmit from 0.5 - 30 MHz.
I need to correct a typo on my previous post: I should have written Region C2 rather than C3. So it should read: "What/where is Yaesu's Region C2? That is (as an example) -- would shifting a radio sold in IARU Region 2 to Yaesu's Region C2 REMOVE any frequencies authorized in some regions but not all, such as 1.8 - 1.81 MHz, 3.8 - 4.0 MHz, or 7.2 - 7.3 MHz?"

And I should have referred to G4IRN's posting of Yaesu Technical Information in Files.

dl5ocd@...

I hope that only effects 60m and 4m as described in the manual...

Michael