FTDX3000 vs FTDX101D

Wolf Dietmar Dr. Gröne

I currently have a Ftdx3000 with 300hz CW filter and mostly working CW.
Has anyone swapped their FTdx3000 into an FTDX101D? Is the Ftdx101D so
much better that it is worth buying? Where are the outstanding
advantages? Thanks for the answer.

Dietmar
DK3BG

dl5ocd@...

Dietmar,

I swapped my FTDX5000 and my K3S.
Worthless to say that the 101D have some more features compared to the 3000 - but that you have on hand when you look at the the description of this TRX.

Advantages?
One of the best RX in the world nowadays.
The specs of the RX are better compared to the 3000 due to the SDR concept combined with traditional filtering.
When you look at Rob Sherwood`s page you will notice that it outperforms the 3000 in every single measurement.

But:
You will receive more than with the 3000? Maybe not...only under very hard condx (i.e. contest, dx) you will notice that.
You will receive in a better quality? Yes, after a learning curve when everything is properly adjusted.

The quality of the received and transmitted audio is really great, but if you stick more to CW it is not so important.
TX signal is very clean, but that is something the other OM`s will notice ;o)

For me it was more the question of ergonomics and technology. In my opinion SDR is the future.
Besides that YAESU is able to add more or better features since everything is designed in software.

Only my 6 cents...

73
Michael

vk2on@...

Thanks for the question Diemtmar, and the great reply Michael.  I have the same question in my mind.  I wish someone would do a side by side comparison on youtube or something.  There are plenty of feature reviews for both radios online, but none that compare the older with the newer.  Very frustrating.  Plenty of 101 v 7610 comparisons...3000 v 7300 etc....no 3000 v 101d.

I have the 3000d here, and I think the 101 would be surplus to requirements....not set up really for the second receiver.  I have solid state amps, and they are plugged into seperate transceivers.  I think if I had an SPE or such, it might be worth it....otherwise 50% of the radio is sitting doing nothing.

I love the 3000....but the curiosity is killing me.

Cheers
73
Aaron
VK2ON

Bruce Forsberg

I have both the FTDX-3000 and FTDX-101D. I had intended to do a side by side comparison of the two on Youtube but my FTDX-101D just broke again and will have to go back to Yaesu repair for the 2nd time in my two months of ownership. If I ever get my FTDX-101D reliable enough I will put together a video.

Bruce, WB6IZG

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 9:15 AM <vk2on@...> wrote:
[...]

John G Crawford

Bruce,
My 101MP is also in need of a second trip back to Yaesu for repair (HI SWR indicated incorrectly).
What were the issues with your radio?
John N9JGC

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 12:07 PM Bruce Forsberg <bruce.forsberg@...> wrote:
[...]

Macy monkeys

In regards to 50% usage...

I put the second Sub receiver to use a little different than most ops...and for entertainment purposes only. I sync both receivers together, with the 2D display showing on the Main rx and 3D display showing on the sub rx. It's just plain fun to watch both displays simultaneously side by side during ragchews. Since I no longer really operate split or have an interest in diversity reception, it's a fun way to at least utilize the Sub receiver's display.

John K7FD

On Jun 2, 2020, at 10:50 PM, vk2on@... wrote:

[...]

Rob Sherwood

The FTdx-3000 has poor RMDR and very bad transmitted broadband noise. One in the foothills overlooking Boulder, CO can wipe out more than 100 kHz of 15 meters 5 miles away in the city proper.  The older 1000 MP does not cause havoc like the 3000.  Rob, NC0B

On Jun 3, 2020, at 10:15 AM, "vk2on@..." <vk2on@...> wrote:

[...]

Same problem that has occurred twice now. I am getting a lack of sensitivity outside the roofing filters on the scope display for the Main channel. They fixed it the first time saying it was a loose ribbon cable on the main RX board. It worked for 1 1/2 weeks and has failed again.

Bruce, WB6IZG

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 10:27 AM John G Crawford <drjohncrawford@...> wrote:
[...]

Jon Ermels

If you want the  accurate comparison, check Rob Sherwood Engineering at sherweng.com

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 12:09:24 PM CDT, Bruce Forsberg <bruce.forsberg@...> wrote:

[...]

Ludovic Ludo

Le 04/06/2020 à 02:18, Jon Ermels via groups.io a écrit :
If you want the  accurate comparison, check Rob Sherwood Engineering at sherweng.com

FTdx3000
http://radioamateur.forumsactifs.com/t1760-ftdx3000-avis
and
FTdx101 :
http://radioamateur.forumsactifs.com/t2196-yaesu-ftdx101-avis

Use Google translate http://free-website-translation.com/?fr

The winner by far is therefore the FTdx101.

This is only my opinion but I think I have digged what was interesting to dig...
In short the FTdx101 is much better but it is also much more expensive.

   ;)

On sherwood page, note that the selectivity does not take CW filters into account.
For an operator who only wants to carry Morse traffic and who laughs at the
computer-independent waterfall, the FTdx3000 will do the trick almost as well ...

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG.

Richards

FTdx-3000 has poor RMDR and very bad transmitted broadband noise. One in
the foothills overlooking Boulder,

___________________________________

Can you document this is endemic to the whole species, or just the one
near you?  This is a serious question, because I once had the FTdx3000
and several of my friends nearby (within a few miles) have them and we
have never experienced that sort of thing.   How do we know it is not
just a few bad cases?   Reason I ask is my old friend DJ0IP used to
claim thge TS-590- was a noise machine compared to the TenTec Eagle -
but serious research and inquiries of qualified testing labs (e.g., the
boys at ARRL and others) said those to rigs were close to each other -
and neither was a problem and now Rick recommends the TS-590 - so go
figure - where is the proof?    Where is the data?   Jim Brown K8YC
promised to assemble transmitter noise data in a report, but it does
seem to support the point after all (I am now told it is "broad band
noise" and nobody tests for that ... so what am I to believe?  Again,
this is a serious question as it has intrigued me for a long time, and
no one has really documented it, at least not beyond your neighbor.

Thank you.    K8JHR

---------------------------------

BILL KENNAMER

I’d believe anything that Rob Sherwood says. Over ARRL, and I used to work there.

On Thursday, June 4, 2020, 3:28 PM, Richards <jrichards@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jim,

Yes this is endemic to the FTdx-3000.

I’ll add comments to your paragraph below for better clarity since there are several issues that need to be addressed.

Rob, NC0B

FTdx-3000 has poor RMDR and very bad transmitted broadband noise. One in
the foothills overlooking Boulder,

___________________________________

Can you document this is endemic to the whole species, or just the one
near you?  This is a serious question, because I once had the FTdx3000
and several of my friends nearby (within a few miles) have them and we
have never experienced that sort of thing.

Reply:  On the lower HF bands transmitted composite noise may be covered up by band noise.  The case in Boulder was on 15 meters.  Field Day may be the worst case for most of us with multiple transmitters on the same band with the antennas only a short distance apart.  Anything line of sight can be an issue.

How do we know it is not
just a few bad cases?

Reply:  Here is a link to transmit composite noise on 8 rigs I have tested.  (120 dBc/Hz at 10 kHz and -121 dBc/Hz at 100 kHz for the FTdx-3000)

http://nc0b.com/xmit-noise/Transmit%20Phase%20Noise%208%20Rigs-Rev-J.pdf

The more generic link:  nc0b.com/xmit-noise where you can download two documents.

The one I tested is NOT the one in Boulder.  In figure 3 of the April 2013 QST review the FTdx-3000, transmit composite noise graph is only -120 dBc/Hz from 10 kHz clear out to 1 MHz, the same as my data.

As to the RMDR, I published a value of only 82 dB in December of 2012. In April of 2013 the QST product review of the FTdx-3000 also published RMDR (if you can find it in the fine print) of 82 dB.  RMDR is on receive, while transmit noise is obviously on transmit.  Often there is correlation between the two values.

Reason I ask is my old friend DJ0IP used to
claim the TS-590- was a noise machine compared to the TenTec Eagle -
but serious research and inquiries of qualified testing labs (e.g., the
boys at ARRL and others) said those to rigs were close to each other -
and neither was a problem and now Rick recommends the TS-590 - so go
figure - where is the proof?

Reply:  Rick, is also a good friend of mine, who I met in person in March in Oklahoma City as the pandemic was blowing up.  I cannot comment on the either the 590S, the 590SG or the Eagle as I have not measured them.  The League, however, to this day only measures “phase noise”, not composite noise, even though they say in the reviews they are measuring composite noise.  Composite noise is phase noise plus AM noise.  If a rig has bad AM noise, the Rohde & Schwarz piece of test equipment in their lab would never know it.  I alerted the League to this discrepancy earlier this year, but then the pandemic hit and they are locked down like the rest of us

COMMENT:  Rick has a lot of experience with transmitters co-located, and the problems some rigs have with not only poor RMDR but transmitted composite noise.  Also talk to Frank Donovan, W3LPL, and the massive W3AO Field Day group.  They are very aware of noisy transmitters.  Crappy transceivers are not allowed at W3AO.

Where is the data?

Reply:  The data in the link above is very accurate.  Look how good the K3S or the FTdx-101D is compared to the FTdx-3000.

Jim Brown K8YC
promised to assemble transmitter noise data in a report, but it does
seem to support the point after all (I am now told it is "broad band
noise" and nobody tests for that ... so what am I to believe?

Reply:  Who says the League never tests for it?  Look the QST review of the FT-891 quote:

On the transmit side, the transmit phase is about the highest we’ve yet seen at the Lab. For this reason alone, I would be wary of pairing this transceiver with an RF amplifier.

COMMENT:  The transmit noise graph could be even worse than the League data since it is phase noise only, not phase noise plus AM noise.

Again,
this is a serious question as it has intrigued me for a long time, and
no one has really documented it, at least not beyond your neighbor.

Reply:  The League has published transmit noise for a long time.  The really old data was in error I believe by 6 dB.  Which way I don’t remember.  After the League started using the R&S phase noise testing device, at least the phase noise data is correct.  It doesn’t take a $150,000 piece of test equipment to measure transmit composite noise.  I can do it for under $2000, as can many of my engineer friends here in Colorado.  I do wish I had started making this measurement 10 years ago, but that is hindsight.

COMMENT:  If you download the other PDF at nc0b.com/xmit-noise, you will see that the IC-9700 on 2 meters has the same or better transmit composite noise as the FTdx-3000, but on 144  MHz, not 14 MHz.  From QST reviews, some rigs were measured not only 20m but 6 meters, and are always worse on 6 meters, which has much less band noise than 20m.  In other words, transmit noise is even more obvious on the higher HF / VHF / UHF frequencies since band noise is lower and the transmitted noise is higher.

73, Rob Sherwood, NC0B

Thank you.    K8JHR

Rejean Leveille

Some improving with more software functions but many Yaesu or others radio brands will get similar radio specifications if we excluded Panadaptor as unique receiver
Ftdx5000D (2009) and FTdx101MP (2019) were in different radio levels regarding receiving and transmitting specifications.
You need to read between lines when ARRL (QST) does a radio revue, this is up to the reader to understand the results and not expecting them to tell you this is great or not unless it is way out of specs.
Now they are starting to better focus on the transmitter side, phase noise with positive or negative notes. Some dirty radio-amplifier are great during contests to clean-up nearby frequency !!
va2am, Rejean