From: K7GQ@...
To: FTDX101D@groups.io
Sent: Saturday February 15 2020 3:56:57AM
Subject: [FTDX101D] CW Mode: RF continuous carrier only tho' CW Monitor sounds perfect

Received this radio today and thought I had enough time too set it up for ARRL DX CW.  That was premature and I should have kept the FTDX-5000MP around.

Regardless, using WinKeyer generated CW or my paddle, CW sounds perfect in the monitor but the fact is - the rig is simply transmitting an unbroken carrier, only terminated when the CW message finishes.

Is there a simple setting I've missed, or is it time (already) for the radio to return to the Mother Ship?

Harry K7GQ

k9iuq@...

I have done a couple of CW contests with my FTDX101MP. I used the DTR line on FTDX101 serial port to key cw from N1MM+. It has worked flawlessly at 26-30 wpm. I mean perfectly formed cw with NO stuttering or other anomalies.. I just ran N1MM up to 45 wpm to see what would happen. Still perfect CW.  No winkeyer used, just N1MM+ keying the DTR line of the serial port.

I have also used my paddle to key perfect CW at 26-30 wpm with the FTDX101MP internal keyer.

Stan K9IUQ

Dick, WN3R

Be sure you’re using a stereo plug for CW. A mono plug will cause the problem you’re having.  This requirement applies to virtually all Yaesu rigs.

Pro 10.5”
Please excuse every typo and missing words (my thoughts are quicker than my finger).

On Feb 15, 2020, at 6:56 AM, K7GQ@... wrote:

Received this radio today and thought I had enough time too set it up for ARRL DX CW.  That was premature and I should have kept the FTDX-5000MP around.

Regardless, using WinKeyer generated CW or my paddle, CW sounds perfect in the monitor but the fact is - the rig is simply transmitting an unbroken carrier, only terminated when the CW message finishes.

Is there a simple setting I've missed, or is it time (already) for the radio to return to the Mother Ship?

Harry K7GQ

k9iuq@...

As an afterthought, make sure you have PC Keying setup correctly for your device in the FTDX101 Mode Cw/PC Keying menu selection. Make sure it coincides with what you have set in N1MM for cw keying...

Stan K9IUQ

K7GQ

Minor success and failure - I clip-leaded from the WinKeyer USB output to stereo plug, plugged into the front CW jack and it works.  I was using converter adapters from Radio Shack before.

However, using the rear CW connecter, the sidetone sounds beautiful but there is continuous carrier output (as original).  This seems like a real issue to me.  BOTH front and rear keyers are turned OFF.

Again, the computer feeds ASCII data to the WInKeyer USB and the unit itself creates CW.  The output of the WinKeyer is a RCA jack and a cable brings that to a 1/4" mono plug.  There is no N1MM in my shack.

I shall have to make an adapter and determine the reason for the rear CW jack not working properly.

Daniel W9DGI

If I’m understanding your problem corectly, the 1/4-inch plug for CW must be a stereo plug. See the manual, page 16: the keying line is connected to the tip, ground to the sleeve, nothing to the ring.

------------
Daniel Gómez-Ibáñez
903 Menomonie Lane
Madison, Wisconsin 53704 USA
telephone +1 608 246-0818
https://www.dgiphotography.com

On Feb 15, 2020, at 3:25 PM, K7GQ@... wrote:

[...]

John

Using a WinKeyer USB and the front CW jack, there is no problem.  On the other hand, the solid carrier is presented with the WInKeyer USB on the rear CW jack.  The problem does not exist with a normal hand key so I though there might be some "ground loop" issue with the WinKeyer itself, and so reversed the leads confident of a solution.  Nope!  There's something about the WinKeyer and the rear CW port that aren't compatible - regardless of how beautiful the sidetone sounds.

At this point, I don't see Yaesu becoming involved.

Harry  K7GQ

BILL KENNAMER

I have no problem with Winkeyer and rear key jack.

On Sunday, February 23, 2020, 2:08 PM, K7GQ@... wrote:

John

Using a WinKeyer USB and the front CW jack, there is no problem.  On the other hand, the solid carrier is presented with the WInKeyer USB on the rear CW jack.  The problem does not exist with a normal hand key so I though there might be some "ground loop" issue with the WinKeyer itself, and so reversed the leads confident of a solution.  Nope!  There's something about the WinKeyer and the rear CW port that aren't compatible - regardless of how beautiful the sidetone sounds.

At this point, I don't see Yaesu becoming involved.

Harry  K7GQ

Tom Lewis

My Winkeyer USB works fine connected to the rear key jack.

Tom N4TL

On Sunday, February 23, 2020, 05:16:01 PM EST, BILL KENNAMER <k5fuv@...> wrote:

I have no problem with Winkeyer and rear key jack.

K5FUV

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, February 23, 2020, 2:08 PM, K7GQ@... wrote:
John

Using a WinKeyer USB and the front CW jack, there is no problem.  On the other hand, the solid carrier is presented with the WInKeyer USB on the rear CW jack.  The problem does not exist with a normal hand key so I though there might be some "ground loop" issue with the WinKeyer itself, and so reversed the leads confident of a solution.  Nope!  There's something about the WinKeyer and the rear CW port that aren't compatible - regardless of how beautiful the sidetone sounds.

At this point, I don't see Yaesu becoming involved.

Harry  K7GQ

K7GQ

My "chat" with Yaesu today went about as well as I expected.  They and the radio have no problem.  I could not extract an answer to why the sidetone sounded OK when the RF carrier was full key-down.  The person would not even engage.

I attempted measured the resistance of the WInKeyer keying line when not keying to see if there was some leakage problem.  Nothing to read on a multi-mega ohm meter.

I am completely out if ideas to try.  Please feel free to offer any suggestions.

Harry  K7GQ

raynr1r@...

the manual as usual leaves a lot to imagination.  The rear panel jack shows eithe straight key or key paddle since your external keyer is generating the morse you need to wire the plug like a key not a paddle from your winkerer to radio .  a trs plug using the tip and sleeve will work.

raynr1r@...

you can not use a mono plug from your win keyer to radio it has to be a trs 1/4 inch plug and you use the tip and sleeve to connect to radio the mono plug will act as a short and create your problem using mono  to stereo adapters will not work the wire diagram for your application is in the manual

K7GQ

Correct - I'm using a stereo plug wired per the manual.