Van: "James Ricker via Groups.Io" <jim7j6cef@...>
Datum: 23-06-19 14:02 (GMT+01:00)
Aan: FTDX101D@groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: [FTDX101D] Info at Yaesu booth in Fridrichshafen

Hello, last night on 40 meters the band was very crowded with Field Day. I  adjusted the roofing filter to 1.2. First this is NOT the same as having the 1.2  optional crystal roofing filter installed. I did some side by side comparisons with the Icom 7700, I had its roofing filter adjusted to 1.2 as well.

Setup: Both radios were fed into the same antennae, a coaxial dipole up at 35 feet with the broad side facing to the North East( my qth is Southern California).Both radios were plugged into the Yaesu SP 9000 speaker. An Alpha Delta antenna switch was inline to facilitate switching.
1st test: NOT using noise reduction on either radio.
Results exactly the same. Very narrow audio with lots of crowded band condition noise. I found a station calling CQ field Day at about 5/9. Any other stations answering  below 5/9 were lost in the band noise.

2nd Test USING Noise reduction on both radios I was able to hear stations that were 5/7 or stronger still very narrow sounding audio and crowded band condition noise.

3rd test. Using the SAME Noise reduction levels as step 2 on both radios.  I then  used VC tune on the FTDX101D.I was then able to hear stations below 5/7. The band noise from being crowded was almost nonexistence.

Results:
Setting the 3KHZ Factory installed crystal roofing filter to  1.2 allowed a very rudemential test of audio quality at this setting. While the audio was narrow and not ideal it worked in very crowded band conditions.

The VC tune works as advertised. I was very impressed with its ability to block/reduce band noise.

On Jun 22, 2019, at 3:18 PM, Roberto <roma-dx@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

Ok understand now but this will be different than when the 1.2khz filter is activated as at my 7851 the filter can be set manuallly but always first automaticall finds its sweetspot.

That said I do not know if this will be the case with 101d(mp).

So also interested to hear 101 owners who have installed tgis 1.2 khz roofing filter and if this filter must be calibrated  manuallybor even automatically

73 Roberto PB5X

Verzonden vanaf mijn Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

Van: "James Ricker via Groups.Io" <jim7j6cef@...>
Datum: 22-06-19 20:06 (GMT+01:00)

Matt I am adjusting my Icom 7700 Roofing filter to 1.2 in order to check the SSB audio on a crowded band today during Field Day. I am curious on how it sounds prior to buying it for my Yaesu FTDX 101D

On Jun 22, 2019, at 10:50 AM, Matt Cole <hmattcole@...> wrote:

Filter,for,SSB.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

From: "James Ricker via Groups.Io" <jim7j6cef@...>
Date: 6/22/19 12:19 PM (GMT-06:00)

Roberto It is not a standalone 1.2 It is the adjustable roofing filter that I will set up to 1.2. I am curious of the audio in crowded band conditions.

Jim

On Jun 22, 2019, at 10:17 AM, Roberto <roma-dx@...> wrote:

Hi Jim

Since when does the IC7700 has the ootion to install a 1.2Khz ? Because when I owned my 7700 there was no space to add an additional Roofing filter.

Van: R SCHMAHL <voila1@...>
Datum: 22-06-19 14:52 (GMT+01:00)

Hi Roberto,
Did you ask why they picked 1.2 kHz as this seems to be very narrow for an SSB filter. In addition, if you elect to add the 1.2 kHz option does that mean you have to pay shipping both ways in addition to cost of the filter to get it installed?
Good job Roberto.
Ron K2PSD

On Jun 22, 2019, at 4:52 AM, Roberto <roma-dx@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Yesterday and today I spoke at the Yeasu booth discussing the 101D and even played with the 101MP.

It seems the 101MP also doesn't have the 1.2KHz SSB filters (Main /Sub) as a standard and will the 300Hz filter only be standard at the Main receiver with this MP version. Bit of a piity as I woukd have thought the MP would come fully equipped.

But the other feedback  and even more important I spoke with mr. Mori (One of Yaesu Japan Directors) and explained and showed the Spectrum scope amplitude to being to chuncky. This is also been mentioned before by Rob Sherwood and other 101d owners.

The Waterfall is quit acurate and easy to set in Low and fasters speeds. Unfortunetly this is not possible for the amplitude of the spectrumscope. Mr. Mori as well the MD of Yaesu UK(Mr. Dean Chroome) acknowledge this and all feedback will be discussed and brought back to Yaesu Japan as they both agreed that the amplitude should be more average as ar the moment it is to nervous and coukd for some HAMS being tyring to watch for a long time.

We also discussed the color scheme settings as mine and even Deans opinion this should be changed as seen with ICOM.

So all by all I really have the feeling that Yaesu is listening to real feedback and I am really considering to take a 101D back home as even they have a special deal for the FH Hamvention.

73 Roberto PB5X

Verzonden vanaf mijn Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

Simple Morning Routine To Melt Belly Fat!
tusclics.info
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3142/5d0e6915b298d69143ad9st02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

US MD: "I Beg Americans To Throw Out This Veg Now"
unhealthpublications.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3142/5d0e6a8011876a7e63c3st04vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad