Re: My New FTdx-101D

BILL KENNAMER

I’ve probably done that much rock and roll, any many years of radio with headphones. According to my hearing tests at age 25 and now, the damage was done before age 25. Since, I’ve worn earplugs or in ears, and they’ve gotten no worse. I do keep the volume control at 9:00 o’clock though.

On Friday, February 21, 2020, 4:19 PM, Mark Feltham via Groups.Io <dodacarem@...> wrote:

Professional Musician
48 years of Rock and Roll and 20 years of IEMs
Don’t do it!

On 21 Feb 2020, at 22:03, K O <kolson@...> wrote:

What exactly were you monitoring? I have 50 years of hamming, music listening and professional monitoring with headphones no problem and I suspect my inner ears are no more robust than most. I did pay attention to levels as I definitely wanted to preserve my hearing for professional reasons and personal enjoyment.

In fact, the loudest music I have been subjected to was rock concerts (bring ear plugs in case), home audiophiles and audio show demonstrators who thought loud was "impressive" (not) and worst car stereo enthusiasts rum amuck.

The worst problem I encounter is server farms with terrible loud fans and cooling systems. Good for the gear, not for the ear. There is a lot to be said for noise cancelling headphones, I use them on the train during my commute to NYC and in any noisy environment to bring down noise levels about 20 db.

73 Kevin K3OX

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Feltham via Groups.Io &lt;dodacarem@...&gt;
To: Ftdx101D &lt;ftdx101d@groups.io&gt;
Sent: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 16:43:25 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FTDX101D] My New FTdx-101D

Don’t use headphones full stop.,

20 years of in-ear monitoring has left me with severe Tinnitus.

Hail the roaring Silence..

Mark

73

&gt;
&gt; On Feb 21, 2020 at 9:40 pm, &lt;K O (mailto:kolson@...)&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; If you keep the SPL to the inner ears the same, it has the same impact. In fact, shutting out other noise in your location may facilitate listening at lower volumes.
&gt;
&gt; Also, use good headphones, cheapies can have high levels of harmonic distortion which is both unpleasant and potentially harder on the ears. This is no place to scrimp. I see some of the cheap crappy consumer stuff some guys use and SMH. Tinnitus is no joke, I thankfully don't have it and hope none of you guys ever get it.
&gt;
&gt; 73 Kevin K3OX
&gt;
&gt; But do keep the level to the "minimum needed for communications" in either case.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; ----- Original Message -----
&gt; From: Mark Feltham &amp;lt;icomic781101@...&amp;gt;
&gt; To: Ftdx101D &amp;lt;ftdx101d@groups.io&amp;gt;
&gt; Sent: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:51:27 -0500 (EST)
&gt; Subject: Re: [FTDX101D] My New FTdx-101D
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Ear/Headphones with voice and CW....
&gt;
&gt; No no no..
&gt;
&gt; Be very careful for extended periods of operating with headphones
&gt;
&gt; Vary rarely is the subject of Tinnitus brought up..
&gt;
&gt; I wouldn’t want to listen CW especially with the possibility of long term hearing damage..
&gt;
&gt; Be careful guys..
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; M
&gt;
&gt; 73
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; On Feb 21, 2020 at 12:02 pm, &amp;lt;K O (mailto:kolson@...)&amp;gt; wrote:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Speaker?
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; It may just be me, but I feel "deaf" without cans for any kind of serious radio operating. Speakers are great for listening to music, OTOH, especially those great Abbey Road recordings :)
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; 73 Kevin K3OX
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; ----- Original Message -----
&gt; &amp;gt; From: Mark Feltham via Groups.Io &amp;amp;lt;dodacarem@...&amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; To: Ftdx101D &amp;amp;lt;ftdx101d@groups.io&amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Sent: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:45:30 -0500 (EST)
&gt; &amp;gt; Subject: Re: [FTDX101D] My New FTdx-101D
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Hello Guys/Girls
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; I still prefer the BHI noise reduction speaker audio than the noise reduction on the FTDX101MP I have in ownership here.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; I live in a truly built up area of main line Railway into Central London 40 metres away to the south and electrified trams also 20 metres to the south, as well as 14 other residents with all their electronics within my block.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Nothing compares to the BHI speaker in 10 years of operating in one of the noisiest QTHs on the planet..
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Don’t procrastinate, Get the BHI
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Mark
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; 73
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; On Feb 20, 2020 at 5:37 pm, &amp;amp;lt;KM6VMR (mailto:dmcchavez@...)&amp;amp;gt; wrote:
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; Wow, just got my new rig yesterday delivered form HRO Denver store, had a serial# that starts at 9I040XXX, so I know this build date was somewhere in Just 2019. I believe it has the latest firmware, but I will need to double check. Initial impressions are, wow I am like kid in a candy store...lol there is so much to learn on this rig, so many parameters to set. Reminds me of my TS820S &amp;amp;amp; TS-120S old rigs back in the 80s...
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; So far I’m very impressed with the receiver’s sensitivity and selectivity performance most especially, that button named “NR” at a push of that button at between levels 7 to 15, it will do wonders to my ears…lol I still have my ICOM-7300 as a comparison rig and I know it maybe tier1 or 2 transceiver, but my goodness, the FTdx-101D can hear stations that the IC-7300 cannot…I used too own and operated a FlexRadio 6600M and although it had the prettiest TFT display, this FTdx-101D kicks its butt in the noise reduction capability and I think Yaesu as a big winner here by combining the best of both worlds in a hybrid SDR direct conversion and superheterodyne.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; Ok so far the only difficulty I’m having is interfacing the RS-232C to my CIrro Mazonni magnetic loop antenna frequency control interface. I read Yaesu’s CAT operations reference manual, and saying to select “TUNER/RS232C to RS232C” but that field is only showing “INT, EXT1, 2 &amp;amp;amp; 3”. Perhaps the CAT manual was published after the firmware was upgraded.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; The manual also states that I need a straight thru cable vice a null modem cable and all my DB9 to DB9 cables are null modem cables so will need to find a straight thru cable. With regard to FT8 interface, it connected right away, had to install the drivers from Yaesu’s website.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; Dan