Yaesu FTdx101D

Tom Lewis

February 17, 2020
.
I am enjoying my new Yaesu FTdx101D. I have it connected to my computer with the USB cable. I am using the first COM port for frequency control. I am not using the second one for the radio’s audio. I prefer the SignalLink USB for that. I bought the cable that goes from it to the back of the radio. I am also using a Winkeyer USB for CW. With that Keyer, I have a cable from the back of the Keyer to the back of the radio and the plug to the radio is a stereo connector. The tip and ground are connected. The other connection is open.
.
During the ARRL DX contest this past weekend, I operated with the N1MM contest program. I left and when I came back a few hours later, I started the program and forgot to set the keying speed to 23 WPM. I called a station at the default speed of 35 WPM. The other station came right back to me and I worked him. Therefore, the rig has no problem sending at 35 WPM with the Winkeyer USB.
.
I also used N1MM for the WPX RTTY contest the weekend before. I set the rig on LSB with the 600 Hz filter. The IF shift was set at 340 and the bandwidth set at 300. I set the spectrum display on 2D and a span of 10K. I was able to go right to a station by watching the display. It all worked great. I was on 20 meters working stations and going up in frequency. I noticed a very strong station above my frequency. It turned out to be my neighbor. He is a contester and lives a quarter of a mile from me. He has an Elecraft K3 transceiver. He told me later that he was running 1500 watts. I was running 500.
.
We were both on 20 meters and not bothering each other. Of course, we had to stay away from each other on the band but I was pleased with the rigs ability to be on the same band as my neighbor. The next day I was on 15 meters and he was on 20 meters and again no problems.
.
73 Tom N4TL