FTdx101D comments

Tom Lewis

My main radio has been an ICOM IC-7600 since August 2015.

I bought an ICOM IC-7300 on November 23, 2016 for a second station that I can leave on 6 Meters. I did use it on HF too.   I sold it on September 25, 2018. It was an okay radio but the front-end overload was so bad I did not keep it. I live in an area with other hams in the area. With my ICOM IC-7600 I can operate on the same band as the other hams, to within 20 KHz or so.  That is not true with the IC-7300.  I sold it before it depreciated any more.

I was thinking of an ICOM 7610 but because of the problem with the IC-7300 I decided to wait.

Reading reviews, I noticed that the Elecraft K4 transceiver is a direct sampling SDR like the IC-7300 and IC7610.  Further reading states that for higher performance you can buy a model with a superhet mode.

I decided to buy a Yaesu FTdx101D because it is not direct to SDR and has roofing filters.

I did have a problem with mine where the memories for 60 meters were not preset in the radio. I had to send it to Yaesu. They fixed the issue and sent it back quickly.  Now it’s in the main position in my radio room and the IC-7600 is at the second setup.  Last night I worked a new country on 160 meters with it.

On 60 meters, you have to use the preset memories.

Here are my notes for WSJT-X v2.1.2 & 60 meters.

For 60M, use Yaesu FT-DX5000, no split, use Fake it or turn off

Put radio in memory channel 5-03, USB

If FTDX101D is used, 60 meters will not work because WSJT-X will change the radio from memory to VFO.

FTDX101D and split can be used on all other bands

73 Tom N4TL