Re: RSPdx and 101D

TOM - K2TC

I’m using SDR Console v3 with OmniRig on my FTDX-101D to allow me point and click freq changes, mouse scroll and the much nicer spectrum/waterfall/pana display from my SDRC V3 / Hermes Lite 2 - fed from the RX out port on the FTDX-101D.

I’m using the Hermes Lite 2 as the SDR ears, as I had been using it as an additional RX – but any SDR box should add the same functionality.

I start the PC

Start OmniRig with the FTDX-101D profile

Start SDR Consolve V3

Start the Main Profile I call FTDX-101D

Select/Start the HL2 at 384khz

Click the Start button for the External Radio. (this sync the 2 radios)

Takes all of 3 seconds to do this….

There are some features that of course do not work, or are not in sync, but for the awesome UI that SDRCv3 has – it’s a great place to start!

I went with the SDR CV3 / HL2 pairing as I could not find any good work on my 2 questions below regarding IF choices and benefits

  1. Not sure if the IF is a better place to grab this from, or if there is more functionality going a different route – please let me know!!
  2. Not sure if there is a better way to get to the spectrum or IQ data in the FTDX-101D directly, that would be awesome if it added more features like bandwidth control….

Interesting –

I find the 101D and HL2 to be very close and consistent in initial setup from a db / s-signal perspective with out changing the rx gain in the HL2 to match the 101D.

Fun bouncing between the 101D and the SDRCv3/PC to hear audio quality, yes there is a little bit of delay, but I usually listen to one or the other.

Very easy to unconnect the 2, and run as an aux receiver. Less than a minute of clicks of the mouse.

I will say the HL2 is as sensitive, has great ability to custom set the bandwidth – but still feel that the 101D is the better RX in really tough conditions, this should not be an HL2 vs 101D debate – as it isn’t ment to be or expected. Both have their own design benefits.

SDR Console V3 – is just awesome in its own right…….so is Simon’s Map – if you haven’t seen it yet.

There are plenty of great GUI’s and SDR RX’s that are out there – great part of the hobby is choice, hence why the VFO knob is the most prominent control on any radio – or for these – your mouse!

Tom, K2TC