FCC Rule For Amplifier Power Ratings Up For Review #file-notice

Barry Paulson

Hi, Tom. Re the FCC form, if some have issues it may be because the form is not well designed for use with a mobile phone. It works much better on a laptop

Barry
Ottawa

On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 12:20:58 a.m. EST, Tim Britt <fmtunerexperts@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: My idiot fingers typed “FCC” when they should have typed “FTC.”]

The FTC is reviewing whether or not to keep the current power rating rule for amplifiers in place. If you believe the current standard is acceptable, please review the following. If you feel the FTC should adapt a different power rating rule there is a comments section on the link below that will accept up to 5,000 characters with a provision for downloading an attachment.

This is the rule that requires advertising claims for amplifier power to state the number of watts per channel a given power amplifier can generate with two channels simultaneously driven for all frequencies ranging from 20Hz to 20,000Hz at a specified power level into a specified impedance and a specified distortion level.

Your comments will be posted by the FTC in a public comments section that will appear with this rule.

Suggested Public Comment to the FTC

Visit the FTC’s "Trade Regulation Rule..." page (linked again below) then access public comments page (shown above) by clicking "Comment Now!" button in the upper-right of the page. Feel free copy and paste the following comment and let regulators know that consumers would benefit from the following refinement in the amplifier rule.

“I wish the FTC to save and enforce the current Amplifier Rule. It helps consumers make informed choices between different amplifiers when consumers are shopping for amplifiers.

Click here to leave your comment by February 16th, 2021Trade Regulation Rule Relating to Power Output Claims for Amplifiers Utilized in Home Entertainment Products

R.Kent Brown

I input my comments using my iPhone XR with no issues.

On Feb 13, 2021, at 7:34 AM, Barry Paulson <eleakist@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick Price

This thread appears to have bifurcated into one group (with 4 responses) and another (with 8 responses).

I'll re-post my update from the other part of the thread here.  It didn't accept text being entered manually on from my Desktop (Windows 10-"well there's yer problem...", lol/Chrome) Computer.  It did accept the comment being uploaded as a Word file.  It gave me the same verbiage upon completion...I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who might encounter the same problem.  I added brief commentary that encouraged uniform adoption of specification parameters for live sound gear (most of it's tested one channel at a time at 1kHz instead of "all/both" channels at 20Hz-20kHz) and home theater high-fidelity amplification.  (The two main channels follow the parameters set for two-channel amps and the surround channels aren't held to the same specs as the main two, even though many of the best are or nearly are.)  Hopefully, it might at least spark some neurons somewhere in the bureaucracy...

Rick Price