tandberg-tuner 3001 vs. 3001a

michael <tonihormoni@...>

here in the forum are a handful owners of the Tandberg tuner 3001, as
I suspect.

some informations about it:

originally the device had the name (TPT) "3001", above the serial No.
700 the name did change to "3001A". the 3001 had a silver case, the
3001A came into a black case. a "cross-over"-design like the
3001/3001A-tuner, seen this week in ebay (black front-plate, rest of
the case silver), I did never see before.

the Tandberg gets rather warm at the power supply. therefore by all
appearance Tandberg experimented with the design for the ventilation
("chimney-effect"), so that there were two variants of the the upper
lid of the (3001A) case (see also: http://www.nrhf.no/nrhf-TR.html ).

in the course of the production series altogether 7 modification steps
appeared at the tuner, and not two, how the switch of the items name
from "3001" to "3001A" suggest. nevertheless the change of the name
is justified, because above serial No. 700 new boards were used for
decoder and limiter (the decoder-design: easily modified; the
limiter-design: strongly modified, in particular what concerns the
transistor-design).

the modifications in detail*:

(A) circuit: tuning system 1

above SN 400:
- R946 changed from 12k to 4k7
- R948 and R951 changed from 220 Ohms to 1k8
- R931 disconnected from P1001, pin 3, and connected to U906, pin 6

above SN 600:
- R940 changed from 10k to 18k
- R936 changed from 2k7 to 5k6
- CR911 replaced by a strap
- R938 changed from 60 Ohms to potm. 2k5

(B) circuit: tuning system 2

above SN 400:
- Pin11 at U1003 disconnected from R1017 and U1004, pin11, and
connected to ground

above SN 550:
- R1007 changed from 820k to 220k

( C) circuit: main board

above SN 500:
- Potm. 752 changed from 1M to 6M8
- R401 changed from 10k to 33k
- R405 changed from 47k to 100k
- R406 changed from 47k to 33k
- R408 changed from 3k3 to 2k7
- R426 changed from 1k5 to 1k
- R427 changed from 15k to 33k
- R739 changed from 2k7 to 3k9
- R732 changed from 33k to 27k

above SN 850:
- Q401/402/403/404 changed from Siemens to Motorola

( D) decoder:

above SN 400:
- Q504 changed from BC559B to BC490B

above SN 900:
- Q605/606 changed from Siemems to Motorola
- check that C530 is 68pF with U504 from Motorola, and 82pF when using
U504 from SGS

( E) limiter: modified circuit board, above SN 700

( F) selectivity: modified circuit board, above SN 700

( G) power:

CR808 and CR812, 6.8V, changed from Siemens type to Motorola (cause:
inaccurate zener voltage)

(* see also: tandberg-service manual, p. 35)

---

for DIYers

who would like to restore himself should take hold into the eyes an
exchange of the caps C627 and C628 (only drop of bitterness: the
available height amounts about 21 mm merely. therefore you can use
only standard caps - i.e. from black gate - but not the higher grade
types from the same manufacturer).
you also could replace the 5 cement-resitors in the power supply
against MOX types.

On my tuner I have found only one deviation from the schematics-diagram:
C501 should be - according to the diagram - a 22uF/35V Elna-type; on
my item it's a 47uF/35V Elna-Cap.

for a good 3001-item there are – on the long run - known only three
problems:
- the heat (he always must stand "free")
- the contacts from the bridge between decoder and output; you must
clean and de-oxidize them in an interval from 4 or 5 years
- and finally the presets: these must be replaced approximately every
10 years as it is known

by the way I don't know how many Tandbergs were build.
It would interest me therefore whether one owner in this forum has a
model with a SN above 1000? My own tandberg 3001 is a very early item
and has the SN "00042".

best regards - mikel

alal200200 <alal@...>

When Tandberg had an office in NY I contacted the techs about the
differences between the 3001 & 3001A. According to them it only had to
do with the appearance - black vs. silver case.

Tandberg also claimed that "improved" and better sounding caps were
used, but I never bothered to verify this as my silver 3001 and black
3001A sounded no different from each other.

The service manual is the same for both and lists the production
changes from early to late units.

The last serial number I know are in the 3000 + range. This was a
tuner bought by a friend when Ortofon USA were clearing out Tandberg's
remaining inventory. Anyone have a later SN?

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "michael" <tonihormoni@y...> wrote:
here in the forum are a handful owners of the Tandberg tuner 3001,
as
I suspect.

some informations about it:

originally the device had the name (TPT) "3001", above the serial
No.
700 the name did change to "3001A". the 3001 had a silver case, the
3001A came into a black case. a "cross-over"-design like the
3001/3001A-tuner, seen this week in ebay (black front-plate, rest of
the case silver), I did never see before.

the Tandberg gets rather warm at the power supply. therefore by all
appearance Tandberg experimented with the design for the ventilation
("chimney-effect"), so that there were two variants of the the upper
lid of the (3001A) case (see also: http://www.nrhf.no/nrhf-TR.html
).

[...]

ramat51 <moshe.cohen@...>

I have some information on the models' differences and production:

(1) The difference between TPT3001 and TPT3001A is an upgrade to
better capacitors and also some other small changes. One can not hear
the difference in sound, but it is possible to measure some small
differences.

(2) The production started in the early 80's and the last one was
made in 1992/93. Totally there was made about 4600 units.

(3) The prices were NOK 16450 on the last units.

Best Regards,

Moshe

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "alal200200" <alal@d...> wrote:
[...]

Do you know what the differences were, other than the capacitor
changes? They are not documented in my late service manual.

The last price, on clearance, for the 3001A was US $600.

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "ramat51" <moshe.cohen@e...> wrote:
[...]

newaag

Did you see Mikel's first post ? He says units above serial no. 700
were marked 30001A. There were changes to case ventilation. Changes to
the MPX, limiter, and selectivity circuit boards. Later changes to
semiconductor components and so on. Interesting, I was not aware there
was an "late" service manual. Does the front cover say 3001 or 3001A?

-bob

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "alal200200" <alal@d...> wrote:
Do you know what the differences were, other than the capacitor
changes? They are not documented in my late service manual.

freedom221988 <holtuniverse@...>

I read a post by "michael" several times if that is your question.
And have further requests, more detailed if allowable, from any 3001
and 3001A owner. My tuner case bottom has about as many round holes
as could possibly be drilled. The upper case has rectangular slits
atop yet at the rear and several down the side also at the rear.
Does any 3001A have more? Does #2647, mine, have the latest venting
improvements or is there further venting that was performed? This may
be an area for improving venting weaknesses for those that would
desire to know and keep their 3001's operating at their
best...Possibly using supplimental cooling fans is a good idea...
Just a tidbit..... the box it was packaged in is pre-printed "3001"
with an applied label added that is printed "3001A". Strange to me
is the warranty card states ninety days. Rather short warranty for a
spendy little item.

I can communicate directed away from this forum if my questions don't
fit in here.

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "freedom221988" <holtuniverse@m...>
wrote:
I read a post by "michael" several times if that is your question.
Yep, same guy, email vs. signature is difference.

And have further requests, more detailed if allowable, from any 3001
and 3001A owner. My tuner case bottom has about as many round holes
as could possibly be drilled. The upper case has rectangular slits
atop yet at the rear and several down the side also at the rear.
Does any 3001A have more?
Does your case look like either shown here? Apparently there were two
versions of the case. My 3001A also has all the holes covering the
bottom.

http://www.nrhf.no/TR-TPT-3001A.html

Does #2647, mine, have the latest venting
improvements or is there further venting that was performed? This may
be an area for improving venting weaknesses for those that would
desire to know and keep their 3001's operating at their
best...Possibly using supplimental cooling fans is a good idea...
Sure, a 12V 60 or 80 mm silenX fan could be added to silently seep
things cool. I would also recommend replacing the old power supply
caps first, if the tuner has seen frequent service, as heat does wear
them out a bit faster.

-bob

michael <tonihormoni@...>

hello,

thanks to Moshe, Bob and the two "anonymous" members for their
informations (and also for the nice gimmick with the Tandberg-picture
at the forums intro) ;-)

perhaps another additions:

- what concerns the "case":
you can clearly recognize a case variant on the Norwegian web site
(see posting 28814).
this variant is a very good solution in thermal regards (most of the
warmth arises at the power supply behind on the left). however, this
top-case seems to be very rare (for ex.: my Tandberg service-point in
Germany was very surprised when I showed him this case variant).

- what concerns "the boards redesign":
you can easily recognize whether you have an older or an newer board:
(a) limiter-board: Q302 is missing at the newer board (SN > 700)
(b) selectivity-board: Q202 is missing at the newer board (SN > 700)*

*I already have reported that the changes at the limiter board were
minimal; on the other hand, the selectivity board became modified
strongly, particularly the path for "normal" and "narrow". at that
time, the narrow tree was – at least at the early models - frequently
criticized, because (unlike to the other two paths) his audio-quality
was not persuasive (see i.e.: hifi stereophonie 4/1981; one of the few
serious former german audio-magazines. the journalists were even so
respectable that this very renowned magazine crashed some years later).

- produced units "approx. 4,600 units":
a lot of units in the high-level-area. the 3001/3001A was also an
commercially success and not only a prestige object as it seems.

- „condensers of higher quality" at the 3001A:
I have found nones of special HQ-Caps in my early item.
to be more exact: "C720" is the only one which stands out: it is a
high-grade (electrolytic) type from plessey (GB). otherwise: only
usual caps, among others at about 50-55 Elnas and a lot of foil-types.

It would interest me whether the Plessey was installed also in the
later versions?

(by the way: a MOX-Resistor sits directly besides the c720-cap. all
the more astonishing, that cheap cement resistors (inductance!) were
obstructed in the power supply. but perhaps there weren't any MOX
types at that time which were resilient with 4 watts?)

- „ventholes at the bottom":
at the "chimney"-effect the name is also the program: the warmed air
extends and escapes up.
so that the effect takes place, air must be in the position to be
after led from below.
if these "ventholes at the bottom" weren't here, the Tandberg would
die quickly a kind of "heat"-death.
(I live in an Appartment under the roof and it has become straight
summers in Germany.
I love the heat but the "chimney"-effect doesn't work very well at
these temperatures.
Norway must be a very cool country ... ; -) )

- presets:
according to my information the presets were revised to make them more
long-lasting.
However, this is a rumor. It dates from reliable sources, but I cannot
prove it.

- tandberg-fanclub?
i know no-one. but I assume strongly that there exists such clubs in
Norway. however, this presumably helps little: only very few of us
might be able to read or speak Norwegian! ;-(

- sound-quality
I also am of the opinion - as this was said in the Posting 28857 -
that the Tandbergs "full frequency Spectrum" is very tempting,
something what only few tuners in the world can offer.
my personal 3001-item at all events doesn't sound "polite" at all as I
have read; he sounds (on my opinion) rather "brutally" and very
"opened" (comparison scale would be a DA-F20, for example)

what I am missing a little bit is the big "soundstage", the spatial
depth, as they offer approximately the great Sansuis (and you must
straightway have deactivated the ANC-button, when you prefer a "deep"
stage).

unfortunately, I am not an expert who would know unerringly what the
reason for it is.
… but perhaps just this is the challenge: finding out whether a
discret construction of the decoder can do what a chip in the quality
of the "HA11223" (or a special, elaborate decoder-design) is able to do.
therefore I am very interested to hear from You, which changes it has
given in the course of the production cycle of the 3001.

best regards – michael

ps: the next "project" will be a sansui tube-tuner from 1964 (TU-70).
if there is interest, I will adjust some pics

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "newaag" <bob@f...> wrote:
Did you see Mikel's first post ? He says units above serial no. 700
were marked 30001A. There were changes to case ventilation. Changes to
the MPX, limiter, and selectivity circuit boards. Later changes to
semiconductor components and so on. Interesting, I was not aware there
was an "late" service manual. Does the front cover say 3001 or 3001A?

-bob

freedom221988 <holtuniverse@...>

For serial #2647, the case has the same cooling slits as the upper
silver model, mine being a black case, and 3001A stenciled. And same
as the current front page image as FMtuners. No slits are at the
sides, my error on a previous post. (too much gear around here!)
Thanks again, Michael and Bob, for discussing this great tuner. Hope
to stir up more interest, read problems, share solutions, and tidbits
from others. A personal project going on my TUDU list is coming up
with an improved reset button that won't fail as the originals do. It
can't be that difficult...we'll see...

wrote:
[...]

Gil Kellersman <gilkell13@...>

Just in case anyone is interested there is a near mint
Tandberg 3001A up for sale at the favorite auction
place.

wrote:
[...]

Yes, of course I saw the post, but the info on A SNs is wrong, which
is why I posted my follow up question.

My own silver 3001 (NOT marked 3001A)is SN 1800+. My black 3001A, now
sold, was SN 2800+, and had the same single row of ventilation holes
as the 3001 silver model, as do all four of my 3012As, also in black.
For those of you who care, the very last series of A components had
black knobs, while the early production runs of the A series had black
cases with silver knobs. Looking in the service manual, nowhere does
it state that units over SN 700 are the A version. The service manual
is not labled 3001A. When I stated late manual, I meant it came from
the factory late in the life of the company, just before they ceased
production of hi fi gear. The circuit and board changes are all listed
there.

More than ever, I am convinced that with the 3001 Tandberg just went
through a series of production run changes. Then, at some stage they
decided to go to to a black case, which was the fashon at the time,
and changed the model numbers by adding an A suffix marketing reasons.

Regards,
Akhil

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "newaag" <bob@f...> wrote:
Did you see Mikel's first post ? He says units above serial no. 700
were marked 30001A. There were changes to case ventilation. Changes
the MPX, limiter, and selectivity circuit boards. Later changes to
semiconductor components and so on. Interesting, I was not aware
there
was an "late" service manual. Does the front cover say 3001 or
3001A?

-bob
--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "alal200200" <alal@d...> wrote:
Do you know what the differences were, other than the capacitor
changes? They are not documented in my late service manual.

Gil Kellersman <gilkell13@...>

A Tandberg 3001A in near mint condition, serial #
3097, one of the last to be manufactured is on Ebay
right now with 3hrs to go!

<alal@d...> wrote:
Do you know what the differences were, other
than the capacitor
changes? They are not documented in my late
service manual.

michael <tonihormoni@...>

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "alal200200" <alal@d...> wrote:

Yes, of course I saw the post, but the info on A SNs is wrong, ...

My own silver 3001 (NOT marked 3001A)is SN 1800+. My black 3001A,
now sold, was SN 2800+
Looking in the service manual, nowhere does
it state that units over SN 700 are the A version. ...
More than ever, I am convinced that with the 3001 Tandberg just went
through a series of production run changes. Then, at some stage they
decided to go to to a black case, which was the fashion at the time,
and changed the model numbers by adding an A suffix marketing reasons.

Regards,
Akhil

Hello Akhil,

you are right: obviously the redesign of the two boards happened
already before the renaming from "3001" to "3001A".

I have all my details checked once again and did detect another one
(write-) fault:

it must be called
„R938 changed from 680 Ohms to potm. 2k5"

instead of
„R938 changed from 60 Ohms to potm. 2k5".

The remaining details were correct.

best regards - Michael

(who just has got the TU-70, expected for a long time, so that he must
take n o w a look into the inside) ;-)

Gil Kellersman <gilkell13@...>

HELLO! I have the tuner right here! It was purchased
ned at end of run from friend who was VP of Tandberg.

<alal@d...> wrote:

[...]

danamc1999 <danamc@...>

Interesting discussion of the Tandberg 3001A. Mine is the blackcase
with the silver knobs so I guess mine is the older model of the
3001A. Curious to know where the SN number is located. Nothing to
note on the cover at all. Inside perhaps? Thanx!

Dana

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, Gil Kellersman <gilkell13@y...>

<alal@d...> wrote:

[...]

Looking at the rear of case and on the right side, the adhesive label
reads"4320 2647",numbers are the production numbers and this means
2647. Or is it 4320? Can anyone confirm this? The label is
applied and made of paper I must assume. Is there a date coding
within these numbers?

<alal@d...> wrote:

[...]

sedond

this is extremely odd. i yust checked the serial# (on the bottom, at
the back, on a glued-on paper label) on my 3001a; it reads:

tel 432 03097

perhaps this is something else; not a serial #. mebbe a fone number?!?

hmmm...

doug s.

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, Gil Kellersman <gilkell13@y...> wrote:
A Tandberg 3001A in near mint condition, serial #
3097, one of the last to be manufactured is on Ebay
right now with 3hrs to go!

marantz_r_us <marantz_r_us@...>

I own a Tandberg 3001 (not A) with serialno.: 0872.
Am I right to conclude that this unit is closer to the 3001A
internally than < #700 units?

Regards,
Ramon

michael

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, "marantz_r_us" <marantz_r_us@...> wrote:

I own a Tandberg 3001 (not A) with serialno.: 0872.
Am I right to conclude that this unit is closer to the 3001A
internally than < #700 units?

Regards,
Ramon

You are right, the main difference is the colour of the case. ;-)

(for items SN > 900: on the decoder board Q605 and Q606 changed from
Siemens to Motorola; no other differences)

regards - mikel