Re: TU-X1 - MODIFIED BY JOSEPH CHOW OF AUDIO HORIZONS [ME TOO!]

Mark Hubbard

Unfortunately, I too have had negative experiences with Mr. Chow's work. A few years ago he sold me a modified Music Hall mmf-25 CD player, supposedly having upgraded parts and enabling it to be used as a digital transport with an external DAC as well as a stand-alone CD player. As a CD player, it worked for a while and then lost output to the right channel. I took off the cover and noticed a small component that he added had become unsoldered at one end. A local repair shop was recently able to resolder the joint for me at a cost of $50, but when I try to use the mmf-25 as a transport, it doesn't work at all. Add to that the difficulty I had getting the unit in the first place (requiring threatening him with a bad review on Audiogon before he finally shipped it to me), and I too cannot recommend his "upgrades." I'm only out about $400 altogether, and the CD player works as such, but I would not buy equipment or services from him again. Your mileage may vary.