Re: Mac MR78 down to #36 of 40 in TIC shootout ...

force92ca

If someone already owns an MR78, the ranking does not mean a silly
thing, other than perhaps some buyer's remorse (if they shelled out
big $ for it). But if they are happy with it, then fine. Enjoy the
Music. You've obviously got deep pockets (or have not listen to
enough tuners).

However, with the MR78 ranked so low, I can assure you, sensible
people will now be VERY apprehensive in shelling out upwards of
$1000 or more for an MR78. Let's face it ... unless you live in a
cave, most everyone does a Google to do some "research" and will
undobtedly stuble upon TIC and its ranking. It made me think twice,
and that was when it was down at #36 not #50.

If the MR78 sold for $300, then so be it. But it don't - it commands
a hefty premium in the market - supposedly because it is a "great"
tuner. High price tag tuners merit greater scrutiny.

If it were in the Top 25, well then, there is wiggle room for
debate. But with its placement outside the Top 50 (!) leads me to
conclude it is over-priced and a poor value performance wise, and
its "reputation" was inflated. Probably a descent tuner, but way
over-priced.

If Jim tested a busted unit ... it merits a re-review soon to do it
justice.

--- In FMtuners@yahoogroups.com, Charles Peterson <charlesp@d...>
wrote:
I believe these tests are honest, and done as reported by a
sincere and
well organized (much better than me, anyway) and critical
audiophile of
many years standing.

But of course, they are just one person's impression. And they
are not
done under blind conditions or (as far as I have read) systematic
level
matching.

Therefore, don't take this too seriously. I don't. It's fun, but
only
until people start taking it too seriously.

I'm willing to bet $10 that no one can even hear the difference,
statistically
significant (p < 0.05), between an MR 78 under level-matched blind
conditions
and any other tuner above it, both performing normally, on Jim's
list on a
strong local stations that comes in well on both tuners. (I'd bet
a lot more,
say $50, if I were observing the procedings or had some other way
to be sure
they were actually done correctly.) Of course, a full report on
FMtuners would
be required, and offer is limited to the first 5 people who report
such a
difference.

Unlike some other things, such as modern power amplifiers, there
are significant
frequency response variations, probably exceeding 1dB in many
cases. But I
myself have been amazed at how hard even such easily measured
differences are to
hear consistently in music without, say, days of well-designed
practice.

(And given that, I am even more suspicious of the audible
difference of
tweaks having with no measureable difference or sound theoretical
basis.)

Charles

I'm pretty sure that the MR78 Jim tried out had been aligned
within
the past two years. Jim can correct me if I am wrong.

Steven Bobenhouse <steve@f...> wrote:
I wonder what a good allignment would do. the factory always
did a
pretty fair job.

steve

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to