Vallejo Paint Equivalent For PFE Orange

Bob Chaparro

Vallejo Paint Equivalent For PFE Orange

Lester Breuer commented:

“The Vallejo color I have used for PFE reefers is Vallejo Model Color Bright Orange 70.851. After dry, PollyScale Clear Gloss #F404100 for decal base and after decals applied with Model Master Flat Clear Acryl #4636.”

George Toman commented:

“I recently completed a pair of WP/PFE R30-9 rebuilds and used AK interactive Light Rust #11105. This is an acrylic much like Vallejo. I found this to be a very close match to a painted Red Caboose R-30 series reefer.”

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railroad Citrus Industry Modeling Group

https://groups.io/g/RailroadCitrusIndustryModelingGroup

Tony Thompson

Lester Breuer commented:
“The Vallejo color I have used for PFE reefers is Vallejo Model Color Bright Orange 70.851.
George Toman commented:
“I recently completed a pair of WP/PFE R30-9 rebuilds and used AK interactive Light Rust #11105. This is an acrylic much like Vallejo. I found this to be a very close match to a painted Red Caboose R-30 series reefer.”

I will post to my blog tomorrow, https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/ about this topic. Just one comment: comparing to a commercial model is certainly a starting point, but it’s a secondary authority. What we really want to know is how various model paints compare to the actual PFE paint chip.

In my opinion neither this AK Interactive color, nor the much-praised Vallejo 70.851 “Bright Orange,” are actually a match for the PFE Color Drift panel. I will show photographs in the blog. One can of course mix, and I will comment on that too.

I continue to maintain that the best match I know of with model paints remains Star Brand no. STR-27, “S.P. / P.F.E. Daylight Orange,” an exact match to both the Daylight color and to PFE orange. A close second is Tru-Color no. TCP-107, "Daylight Orange.”

Modelers can, of course, continue to choose whatever color they like for their PFE models, even (as one modeler insisted) Schoolbus Yellow. But if you care about the correct starting point, I would advocate for the drift panel.

Tony Thompson