Topics

Windows 98 hard drive help

Baschwar@

Can anyone help me get a working Windows98 hard drive set up?
I have the machine and a drive, but no way to get Windows 98 installed since the computer doesn't have a CDROM -- only floppy.
Suggestions?

arjan.dijk

Several options

1. USB could work if available. Maybe need to boot from floppy.
2. Try a CompactFlash card (has the same pinout as ide, only smaller, adapters are cheap) as a harddrive and fill it with the windows setup
3. Try a SD IDE adapter
4, Connect the harddisk to a modern pc with a USB ide adapter, partition the drive and copy the windows setup to a second partition. Still have to boot from a floppy I think

Op wo 5 aug. 2020 om 21:43 schreef Baschwar@ <baschwar@...>:

Can anyone help me get a working Windows98 hard drive set up?
I have the machine and a drive, but no way to get Windows 98 installed since the computer doesn't have a CDROM -- only floppy.
Suggestions?

Baschwar@

No usb on this machine.

I have the CF Card Adapter, but imaging the iso didn’t work.

May have to try the partitioning. I don’t have a boot disk (yet)

Thanks for the input

Brad

On Aug 5, 2020, at 2:14 PM, arjan.dijk <arjan.dijk@...> wrote:

Several options

1. USB could work if available. Maybe need to boot from floppy.
2. Try a CompactFlash card (has the same pinout as ide, only smaller, adapters are cheap) as a harddrive and fill it with the windows setup
3. Try a SD IDE adapter
4, Connect the harddisk to a modern pc with a USB ide adapter, partition the drive and copy the windows setup to a second partition. Still have to boot from a floppy I think

Op wo 5 aug. 2020 om 21:43 schreef Baschwar@ <baschwar@...>:
Can anyone help me get a working Windows98 hard drive set up?
I have the machine and a drive, but no way to get Windows 98 installed since the computer doesn't have a CDROM -- only floppy.
Suggestions?

atlantis@...

I remember installing Windows 95 from a whole bunch of floppy disks back in the day but I don't know if there is still some software available that will create all those floppy disk images from a cd image as there used to be. You may want to find out if you have enough floppy disks, I don't remember exactly how many it took.

I would add two other possiblities to the above list: Install a usb add-on card or an internal cd-rom drive, if the machine has a possibility for either of them they might be easier options. Maybe you could also hook the cd-rom up only temporarily with the machine open for installation. If the machine is pre-usb it should have an ide hard drive interface and to that you should be able to hook up 2 devices per channel normally.

Constantine Christophi

I had great difficulty in finding the floppy version of Windows 98, the solution I went with was piggybacking an internal CD ROM drive set to slave on the same IDE cable as the hard drive and installing that way.

Another problem I ran into was the minimum system requirements. RAM was easy (just buy some) but with the CPU I had to override the CPU check with commands:

Keith

Hi All,
Windows 98 as far as I can remember came in two parts one floppy disk and one CD.
The floppy was the startup disk.
I think the later versions Windows 98SE may just have been on CD.
The startup disk and the ISO are available on the net.
I understand that there is a floppy disk version on Windows 98 which is/was available from MS but was 39 Disks.
There seem to be plenty of second hand internal IDE CD readers on various websites.
Best of luck,

Keith

hurtisover2011

Hi, I had similar  problems so l bought a drive off ebay. CD/DVD drives are widely available and are not expensive, I got mine for £9.99 free p+p.
Ed

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020, 20:43 Baschwar@, <baschwar@...> wrote:
Can anyone help me get a working Windows98 hard drive set up?
I have the machine and a drive, but no way to get Windows 98 installed since the computer doesn't have a CDROM -- only floppy.
Suggestions?

arjan.dijk

I think the Windows 98 disc is not a real critical boot disk. Just open the ISO in windows and copy the content should be enough.

Op wo 5 aug. 2020 om 23:47 schreef Baschwar@ <baschwar@...>:

[...]

What kind of computer are you trying? It does not seem like the smartest thing to install it on a 486. That will be painfully slow

Op do 6 aug. 2020 om 09:31 schreef Constantine Christophi <conners@...>:

I had great difficulty in finding the floppy version of Windows 98, the solution I went with was piggybacking an internal CD ROM drive set to slave on the same IDE cable as the hard drive and installing that way.

Another problem I ran into was the minimum system requirements. RAM was easy (just buy some) but with the CPU I had to override the CPU check with commands:

wild_kow

I have mine installed on a Pentium II. The most important thing is that the computer does not have a built in video port. This causes conflicts which cannot be overcome easily. Look for a computer without the port built in but with the port on a separate plug-in card. Make sure that is a plain video card without added features. Also make sure the serial port is not doubling as a gaming port.

I spent many hours resolving issues. I bought identical computers for my PC50 mill and PC55 lathe. I got the mill to work but not the lathe, even with the same computer. I bought another almost bare computer for the lathe and that does work.

John W

What kind of computer are you trying? It does not seem like the smartest thing to install it on a 486. That will be painfully slow

Jan Emco

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 9:43:31 PM GMT+2, Baschwar@ <baschwar@...> wrote:

Can anyone help me get a working Windows98 hard drive set up?
I have the machine and a drive, but no way to get Windows 98 installed since the computer doesn't have a CDROM -- only floppy.
Suggestions?

David Rabenius

If you have a USB port on the P.C. then you can buy a external CD or floppy drive for under $40.00 on Amazon. I had the same problem works with my newer P.C.'S perfectly.

Dave

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020, 9:23 AM Jan Emco via groups.io <jhoogma=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 9:43:31 PM GMT+2, Baschwar@ <baschwar@...> wrote:

Can anyone help me get a working Windows98 hard drive set up?
I have the machine and a drive, but no way to get Windows 98 installed since the computer doesn't have a CDROM -- only floppy.
Suggestions?

David Rabenius

The external floppy or CDRom connects via USB plug. I have & use both.

Dave