Topics

Stepoer motor replacement recomidatiobs

Tarn Mott

Hi out there im new to the group and its my first time trying to rebuild a cnc.   any way I have a emco F1 that I want to upgrade , looking for any segestions for stepper motors and controllers or any recommendations would be appreciated . Cheers Tarn

David Rabenius

   I would  have to say that you need to have a budget planned and what you want the retrofit to do. You could be well under $1,000. depending on which components you choose. You would have a MUCH more useful machine afterwards. If you want to have or add a fourth axis then the Gecko 540 would be a good start. It will give you the extra 4 axis capability and is a good solid drive. For stepper motors you don't need more than 200oz. in. You can choose steppers with encoder feedback or not, depends on your budget. Your choice of a controller board could be a Centroid Acorn or ?? If you have electronics experience then you should have no problems choosing the components. Do you want to have limit switches?, encoders on the steppers? E-stop??, digitizing capability?? these are some of the things you will need to decide on. I have a PC50 series mill that is factory stock, when it dies then I will do a retrofit. My retrofit will have 4th axis & digitizing capability.
   One has to remember that it is a small machine with limited H.P. & travel. So I wouldn't go overboard, some inexperienced people wish the machine to have more than it will deliver. Make no mistake I feel that this machine & the later ones are some of the best small machines made. I have made hundreds of parts on my mill and if you are careful they produce results approaching that of much larger machines.

Tarn Mott

Thanks very much for that David ill start researching your recomadations now .
Regards Tarn